It's over...

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by tfischer, Oct 6, 2019.

1. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Returned from our final camping outing for 2019 today. It was just a quick weekend about 30 miles away. Weather was cold, mostly in the 40s and lower 50s, and it rained so much overnight before Saturday morning that it flooded many of the campsites (fortunately ours only got muddy) and then continued to rain much of the day Saturday. But we still had a good time away. Today's weather is beautiful: Sunny and 60s.

Camper will sit in my driveway for the next few days until we have time to wash all the bed linens, do a deep cleaning, winterize everything, and tuck it away for a long winters nap. So sad here in Minnesota knowing that it will be over 6 months before we camp again.

This year included our most adventurous camping trip ever, with 8 nights in Yellowstone, by far the furthest we've pulled the camper, and the second longest trip. Also got 4 or 5 other trips in so it was a good summer/fall.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

We share your pain.

3. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Hoping to get another month or so in, went from 98* to 58* in a day & a half, should remain in the 60s/70s for awhile though...

4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Yep, ours just went to the storage lot this morning for its nap. We had a hard frost this morning, and the mountains have snow on the peaks, so it is time.

Sounds like you had a good season! Looking forward to next season is always fun though, but hard to be patient when the melt is on.

campfire Joe and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Pommom70

Pommom70 Member

Trying to get one more camp out for the season. Hope to make it soon.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  6. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I will NOT go quietly into the non-camping season! Have at least one more scheduled later this month and usually go with the scouts on the winter camping trip in January. That's been traditionally the oldest and I in a tent. We have talked about taking the PUP and setup on the RV side of the lake and the wife and I let the boys stay with the scouts. Chances are it will have to stay winterized because temps have dipped into the low 20s on that trip.

neighbormike and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  7. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Why not get out and camp more this fall??? [:(!] Life is to short to be hanging out in town.

Rik Peery, FARfetched and BillyMc like this.
  8. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

We have one more trip at the end of the month then tucked away inside for the winter.

9. tfischer

I applaud those here who camp below freezing, but winter camping (at least in Minnesota) isn't my thing. Plus the school season gets busier the deeper we get into it.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I feel your pain.. Our final trip of the season is next weekend, where we'll clean and winterize the trailer before leaving the campground.

11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have a couple trips left and then I may also be putting the pup down for her long winter nap. If it's a mild winter I may take her on a spur of the moment trip but that depends on weather. However we are over do for a bad winter this year so doubt I will be able to go.
    I don't mind fall camping as long as the day temps are above freezing, but I watch the weather closely. If it's going to rain I may cancel. Woke up to freezing rain one morning..Never again.

12. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

You could always come south for a campout. All of the locals here think what you call "October" is the dead of winter, and they'll be huddled around their fireplaces or wood stoves. You'll have your choice of campsites, as long as they're open. [LOL]

Seriously, we get a couple (non-contiguous) weeks of uggggly weather here, and the rest of it is what I call "long November." If your pup has a heater, you would probably wonder where everyone went.

13. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I have about 7 more nights booked this month. Then it is winterize and get to storage before road salt & brine gets sprayed on the roads.

HappyTraveler and Rik Peery like this.
  14. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Dread the "salt assault" lol, nowadays it seems if it's gonna snow a couple inches around here, schools close up & out go the state trucks...figure it's due to so many kids driving to school now, terrain, & so much traffic on the roads, & a crap load of folks that insist on cruising around in 2 wheel drive vehicles fighting for that last gallon of milk & loaf of Wonderbread...I spray the hay outta my truck & underneath soon as I can after each event...

15. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Treat your trucks underside with Fluid Film to combat the salt.

neighbormike and Rik Peery like this.
  16. Arlyn Aronson

Its not over, until its over and TO MUCH snow is on the ground. We do hope to get out a few more times but of course "things" might get in the way. We need to run home to SD for the thanksgiving holiday.........

tfischer likes this.
  17. tfischer

I checked over the exterior yesterday and I don't see any obvious resealing needs, but I'll do another look before storage. Besides winterizing, we need to do a deep clean, take some stuff out, and fix the carrying case for our solar suitcase which has ripped.

neighbormike likes this.
  18. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

My fall camping plans all got scrapped thanks to a fractured vertebrae from a nasty ladder collapse. It's too bad, fall is my favorite time of year for camping. Mild days and cool nights are perfect for campfires. I will definitely be out early next spring though!

19. Arlyn Aronson

Sorry to hear of your mishap Dback. Hope you heal up quickly and we see you out camping again soon.

20. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Praying for a speedy recovery.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.