Jack knife front end damage MAJOR!

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Popuppup, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Popuppup

Popuppup New Member

Making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I think this pup was a previous rental. It's been all over the country and has the scars to prove it. Rust and calcium deposits everywhere. Hail damage to roof and a long gouge on roof too. That we can patch. But the front end is warped and buckled from apparent continuous jack knifing. The trim that meets the side is split open. Im not able to pull back together. Anyone have inexpensive success stories to replacing the front end panel? Is it hard? Where would I get the parts or even began? Let me know so I can set the hubby up for the next big fix this summer. [;)]

2. papachaz

papachaz New Member

is this one yours, or one you're looking at to possibly buy? what kind is it, and we'd want pics at the very least.....

3. Popuppup

Popuppup New Member

It's my ntu jayco 1997 eagle 10 ud. I don't know what the ud stands for at the end. Interior is fairly nice. But everything else is a bit of a fixer. I'll post pics tomorrow during daylight. If I had it to buy all over again I'd buy something that cost more with less issues. As it was I had to talk my spouse into one. Found a deal. He went 3 hours away to buy it, but with not much reservations. So now I'm kinda stuck with it. Now that we got the lift thing under control. I figure next thing is to weather tight and seal the pup. If I had too camp in it the way it is, it would work sorta. Door is messed up and we assume none of the appliances work. Its been used alot! Just not by us. So like I said I'm kinda stuck with it or my DH will not be happy with me. I'll post pics tomorrow .TTYT....

4. Popuppup

Popuppup New Member

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I would think a new panel (like diamond plate) on the lower part could cover/repair that damage. The bungee cords on the propane and battery have to go .......... for safety sake.

6. papachaz

papachaz New Member

i can't get the link to open?? goes to a page not found error for me.

7. Popuppup

Popuppup New Member

Sorry try it now [:!]

8. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Ok someone fixed the link, but I'd personally get those bungee cords OFF the LP tank and use proper brackets!!

Good luck!
    [:D]

9. papachaz

papachaz New Member

links fixed, thanks! i'm in agreement, first and foremost, for safety, get the right bracket to hold the propane tank down!

and yeah, i'd go with some kind of diamond plate on the front. make sure to get the edges fixed first though, that's gonna cause some interior damage when it leaks, if it hasn't already. if your hubby is handy any at all, these are repairs he should be able to do himself though. nothing real hard to do there

10. Popuppup

Popuppup New Member

Oh yeah ... I was just seeing if you'd notice [}:)]. JK..Seriously good point on the bungees. So concerned about other things I hadn't notice that myself. Good eye peeps! Thanks! I will fix before our first camp trip. But about that diamond plate... Would I have to have a shop do it or could we just bolt it on. Also what to do then about the trim. Jayco will charge about 100 which is cheap, to make a new panel and 100+ for freight.

11. papachaz

papachaz New Member

well if jayco makes you the new panel for $100, and charges you that much to ship it, you're $200 into it and still have to put it on. you can get the diamond plate, but you're right that trim is what i was talking about the edges, that needs to be taken loose and reinstalled, put putty or butyl tape under it to reseal it.

if your hubby can't do the work, you might check with an auto body repair shop somewhere close by and see if they would be interested in doing it.

12. sdn40

sdn40 Member

If it were me - I would take off that front panel and rubber moulding and see what you have to attach a new piece to - and how you would do it. I went the diamondplate route front and back. Call around to metal shops and find one with a break long enough to make the bends for you. Make a template of the side profile for them to match and you are good to go. Assuming you have a plan on how to attach the new panel - you should be ok. Below is a pic of mine - you can see I had bends to make just as you will. I have other pics - just click the camera and you can see how I did mine. Always think waterproofing in everything that you do. Any type of patch panel will require seams - and or overlapping -- a challenge I wouldnt want to face. Think driving 65 in a rainstorm - any suspect seam will be compromised quick.

In reality - if you have some minor skills - that repair isnt as bad as it looks like it will be. (insert disclaimer here)

All that being said - if you can get a front panel and side moulding from Jayco - thats the easiest route to take

[​IMG]

13. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

TRUE STORY!

14. Popuppup

Popuppup New Member

Thanks for posting your pics and thoughts.Inspirational work by the way. I will forward these blogs to hubby and let him decide now.
    I'll keep you posted.

15. gec66

gec66 Active Member

Good luck!

FYI...UD in the Jayco model number means "U" shaped dinette.