Jack stands under axle

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by WP Mark, Nov 24, 2018.

1. WP Mark

WP Mark New Member

hi everyone! This is my first post—discovered this site after this weekend’s double blowout on my trip. Lost both tires within about 20 miles of each other. Yay.

Figured I’ve done a few things wrong and trying to get smarter about my storage. Figure one of the contributing problems to my flats was that I probably had flat spots on my tires. And my tires were also about the age that needed replacing.

Anyway to prevent more flat spots in the future, I’ve jacked my single axle pop up and placed a jack stand just to the inside of each of my leaf springs. Is this a bad idea for some reason I haven’t considered?

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I lot of people say not to jack on the axel. The mechanics do it and I have seen others do it and never complained of a problem. A better spot would be at the jack points. Were the tires new?

3. WP Mark

WP Mark New Member

The tires were 5 years old. I replaced both main tires and the spare. Hoped to get class D, but could only find class C.

I hoped to leave it on the jack stands under the axel for a few months while being stored. I had considered jacking under the frame, but was afraid that I would warp the frame with such a long timeframe.

Interested to hear what this community has for thoughts on this.

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Every camper has a jacking spot defined. Use that.

5. WP Mark

WP Mark New Member

I’ll look in my manual.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Did you have the old tires inflated to their max. psi ?

7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

What is the difference in placing a jack stand under the spring pad as opposed to having a tire on the axle????

8. WP Mark

WP Mark New Member

I wasn’t keeping them inflated while stored in my garage. This seems to be a mistake. Apparently tires should ALWAYS be at the max psi regardless if in storage or in use.

9. WP Mark

WP Mark New Member

So, digging into the random pamphlets that consist of my user’s manual.

The general rockwood manual states to keep the tires inflated during storage (which i was neglecting)

The axle, brake, hub and drum manual states that the pup should be jacked up and placed on auxiliary blocking under the frame so that all the weight is removed from the wheels. It also states that the axel should never be used to raise the trailer (oops).

So, i guess i should place the camper on blocks under the frame? Maybe I’ll get a few for each side to distribute the load.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Make sure your blocks, stands and jack are on the main frame rails and not just under the flimsy outer frame sections.

11. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

There is no benefit to lifting the tires off the ground but there are risks to you, your family, and your RV.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  12. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The best place is where the spring bolts to the axle. And never store anything with a "soft" tire.

WP Mark likes this.
  13. WP Mark

WP Mark New Member

That’s my plan. Figure that’s where the load is already being supported. Off to harbor freight in a bit to get a floor jack to make this process a little easier.

14. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

I shared my tactics on another post about leaving stabilizers down during storage. I replaced my flimsy drop leg stabs with 5k lb stabs from harbor freight. I attached them to the main frame rails directly behind where the leaf spring attached to the frame. My technique is to lower the tongue all the way. Then lower my rear stabs. Then raise the tongue. This takes the load off of the axle and tires, and transfers it to the rear stabs. They are more than capable of taking the load from my little trailer. This helps to keep flat spots from forming on the bias ply tires. It's also convenient to not need to use a floor jack and jackstands.

15. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

You can also avoid this issue by going camping! [:D]

nineoaks2004 likes this.