Jack wheel vs dolly?

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by NoleFan, Apr 1, 2019.

1. NoleFan

NoleFan Member

I have a square tube flat bottom jack that would accept this wheel: ($16.50)

[​IMG]

I plan on keeping my popup in my garage, but I have 2 separate garage doors instead of one large one, and width wise it will work, but it will be close, so in no way am I planning to back it in all the way with the truck.

My options are the wheel above swapped out on the bottom of my jack, or a trailer dolly.

I am sort of leaning towards the wheel on the jack for a few reasons. It is cheaper obviously, but it will also take up much less room in the garage than the actual dolly.

How easy is an 1800lb pop up to push around with the jack wheel on concrete?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Two people can move it no problem, one with a little muscle.

3. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Our first pup was about 2500 lbs. And we pushed it around with a jack wheel. For the highwall, we needed a dolly.

4. NoleFan

NoleFan Member

Good to know. I will order that wheel!

Thanks!

5. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

After horsing the camper in and out of the garage a few times, I opted for the dolly. I found it to give me better control and advantage to wiggle the camper in and out. Our town has an ordinance for keeping the camper on the driveway so it had to go in the garage at times. The dolly made it much easier.

6. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Oh, without a doubt, the whole process will be easier with the dolly, but a camper that light can be maneuvered with a jack wheel.

7. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

We had a popup about that weight and used a dolly. It really made it easy, and you can get away with the cheap Harbor Freight model at that weight. Still wanted the wheel for fine tuning, especially at the campsite where you can angle your popup in ways you can't with a vehicle.

It did NOT work for our large popup on an incline....

8. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Our pup has the wheel as part of the jack assembly. I can back the pup into the garage and then do some fine tuning once it's in. But since the floor is pitched (for drainage) once you start the motion on the pup it tends to want to keep going. So I will place the wheel chocks about where I want it to stop so it doesn't keep rolling. Just a little piece of advice! [;)]

9. LakePUP

LakePUP Member

You will be fine with the jack wheel. We have a 27hw and use a double jack wheel to move it. It’s heavy but can be done with out too much effort on flat concrete. Good luck.

10. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

I don't have a wheel for my jack. I bought the trailer dolly from HF, and it works great! I can easily maneuver the PUP wherever I want in my garage or driveway.