Jacking up the Pup

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by strangiato, Aug 29, 2020.

1. strangiato

strangiato Active Member Gold Supporting Member

Hi All,
    I have been thinking about how to jack up our NTU pup while traveling in case of a flat. At home, I have a hydraulic floor jack, but that's too much to take on the road, IMO.

With 10" wheels, our 2017 Somerset Chesapeake only has about 6.25" clearance below the axle mount. I have been looking at getting a bottle jack and carrying that in the TV while we are out and about. With the low clearance, it would need to be a low profile jack. I found one on amazon, but it's not Prime and would likely not be delivered until after we take it out for the first time in two weeks. I've looked online for an auto parts store, but none of them seem to carry a low profile jack.

I checked the owner's manual, which states that "weight should only be lifted using the main frame bar." Would the "main frame bar" be the part of the frame that the leaf springs attach to that runs front-to-back?

If I am safe jacking it up from that part of the frame, then I don't need a low profile jack and it would be much easier to get one in time for our maiden voyage.

As an alternate plan, tomorrow I am going to check the jack that came with my Outback and see if I could get that to work.

Thoughts?

2. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I haven't used it yet but I got this one from Amazon. It took 6 days for delivery in July. Sold by Northern Tool so if you have a local store that may be another option. Also check any farm/tractor stores in the area.

Set the jack immediately behind the rear spring hanger. Remember that the frame will be about 4 inches lower when sitting on a flat.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Harbor freight, home depot, any where should have a jack. 54$ is pricey. Also check to see if you TV jack will fit.

kcsa75 likes this.
  4. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

whats wrong with the jack in your tow vehicle - that's what I used on the road when I had to replace my leaf springs. Its a scissor jack. Also - unless there is a big problem - jack up the axle - either under the spring or just inboard, if your goal is to simply change a wheel. Remember to break the lug nuts somewhat loose first.

And yes, practicing in your driveway is always a good idea.

BTW - my bottle jack was stolen along with my utility trailer - I don't miss that jack one bit.

5. strangiato

That is the exact one that I found on amazon. Problem is the earliest promised delivery date is 9/14, which is the day after we get home from our trip. I was hoping to find it locally or a different one online that would arrive in time.

6. strangiato

I've yet to find a store that carries a low profile jack that is smaller than 6.25". They're all at least 7" and change.

That's the one from my Outback that I'm going to test tomorrow. The problem, as I am imagining it, is the awkward angle that I will need to be at to crank it up since it will be behind the wheel instead of sticking out from under the side like it would on the car. Good to know that you did not like your bottle jack!

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Get a scissor jack. I have one I kept from an old truck that got junked. They typically will start at 4-5" and go from there. What kind of suspension is on your trailer? I have a torsion axle, and cannot jack it up directly on the axle as a result. Manual says to place the jack on the frame rail. I also carry some jack pads that I can use to crib up the jack if needed. Mine is not as low profile as your trailer but I found that I needed an extra inch or so of lift to put the inflated spare one on. That first time that I changed the tire I had to put the bad one back on, jack it down, dig out the pads, rejack and then change.

Northern Tool, Amazon and others all sell simple 1.5-2.5 tonne scissor jacks that can be used. Also make sure you have a 4-way lug wrench that fits all your lugs. Often the lugs are a different size from the TV, and sometimes the lugs on the spare tire carrier are a different size too.

8. strangiato

I'm good with the lug wrench. That was one of the first things I tested when we brought it home. I tested the scissor jack from my TV this weekend, and it would work under the axle mount, but as I mentioned, it is at an angle that makes it difficult to crank up. If I move it to be just behind the rear leaf spring mount, then it becomes much easier to crank, but I think I would need to do what you do and place some blocks under the jack to take up height.

Since I can use the frame bar, I think that I may go with this one. It seems that it will be stable with the wide base and I like the jack-stand style top that will cradle the frame bar.

9. Tyl

Tyl Member

You probably know this but be real careful with those scissor jacks. They're called widowmakers for a reason. If you're not putting a stand underneath it just work like it could fall at any moment.

CajunMan likes this.
  10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

That is the name given to the old bumper Jack's and those wonder Jack's the jeep community like so much.. Never heard a scissor jack called that.. in fact they are still standard on many vehicles.

11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Do you have to hold up the jack stand side release, while lowering the bottle jack? I see nothing on that, even the video avoids the lowering. If so, you are under the load coming down. I prefer to be back from the load coming down. Looks like the jack is side loaded, using the jack stand side as the jacking surface. Not good for a hydraulic cylinder. Check out the questionable reviews, also.

12. strangiato

Well, it seems that nothing is perfectly safe to use, but I have to pick something. I'll probably bring my jack stands with me as well no matter what I end up with.

I noticed that as well about the release. I figured I'd use the lug wrench to hold it down while dropping. I also assume that you have to jack it up a bit before lowering to allow the bar to release. Good point about the side load not being good for a hydraulic cylinder.

Now I really have no idea what I should get.

13. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Make sure it fits the spare also, sometimes the nuts are diffrent.

14. strangiato

Yup, I'm good. They are different. The spare is 3/4 and the lugs are 13/16.

15. Tyl

Tyl Member

I've heard the bumper jacks called that as well. The issue with the scissor jacks comes from car owners thinking that spare tire jack is all they need to jack up the car and go to work underneath when they're meant just to change out the spare.

16. strangiato

Well, I ended up ordering this one. What convinced me was etrailer.com. I looked at it on there and they had a few of their review and procedure videos. Watched those and read the reviews and decided to go with it. I would have ordered it from them, but it wouldn't get here in time for our first trip next week. I trust the reviews on etrailer more than the ones on amazon, especially when you see reviews with the "one year later" updates that are still outstanding.

Sjm9911 likes this.