Janky Door on our Jayco

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by nancecottrill, Sep 6, 2014.

1. nancecottrill

nancecottrill New Member

On our NTU pop-up the only thing we struggle with is setting up the dang door. Can anyone give us some helpful advice...if we set the door on the bottom weather stripping (where it's supposed to be) the metal panel won't go into place under the mounted plastic piece at the top of the door. If we set the metal "plate" in place at the door top, we can't get it set into the bottom. It's becoming quite frustrating!!

2. Heady

Heady Active Member

Is your camper perfectly level prior to putting up the roof? Whenever ours wasn't level the door never fit properly.

3. nancecottrill

nancecottrill New Member

Yes, each time we've popped it up it's been completely level and extended upwards until the guide string taunt. There is a good inch and a half it needs to clear before it will set in place.

4. Clive

Clive New Member

Are the riser struts vertical? My Coleman has a problem with the door I have to put a couple of guy ropes on the other side to pull it up vertical.

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Measure the heights at each corner to make sure it's actually level. The height indicator is just a general guide.

Also make sure none of the cables have slipped off their pulleys. That alone can throw the post heights off kilter.

6. TNScott

TNScott New Member

Thanks for the the replies thus far but I'm not sure we are conveying the problem correctly.
    The pup is level and the roof lifted to the maximum height.
    The door is supposed to slide into a slot on the bottom half of the camper (which it does perfectly). The problem is securing it at the top. On top of the door is a flat piece of aluminum, the width of the door (made onto the door) that is supposed to go into a pre-formed slot that is between molded plastic just below the roof. There is a flat steel plate that then slides in the slot in front of the door and holds the top of the door securely with two knobbed screws.
    Our problem is that the door plate is too tall to go into the slot and hits on the outside of the molded plastic slot.
    Im 99.9% sure the roof can't go any higher as the canvas is very taught and everything else lines up.
    I may need to upload pictures as my description isn't the greatest.
    Anyone ideas as what we are doing wrong? The owners manual is useless in this case and i can't find any info online.

7. goody59

goody59 Member

So if the roof went up a little higher would that solve the issue? If that is the issue I ajusted my roof height by getting into my winch stops and ajusting them accordingly but I am upsure of your roof raising method required on you PUP? is the height of the roof when at its limit ajustable at all?
    Since ajusting my roof lifting winch stops my door fits beautifully.

8. TNScott

TNScott New Member

No, not really because the roof is at the right height now, IF the metal plate on top of the door was in the slot at the top of the camper that its made to go in.
    Basically , if i raised the roof any more it would be higher than the top of the flat plate on top of the door thus the door would have no upper support.

9. goody59

goody59 Member

Maybe pictures of the issue may be best then. There must be a solution.

10. TNScott

TNScott New Member

Im going to open it up tomorrow to work on some upgrades so i'll get a few pics to better explain whats going on.

I don't think there is a problem with the door. I think the problem is that two newbie owners don't know how to install it correctly is all...... [:O]

11. TNScott

TNScott New Member

I took pic's of the door but won't need to upload them for answers anymore. I modified it...... [;)]
    It turned out to be quite simple and now is a breeze to install and put up.

12. goody59

goody59 Member

That is great news.

13. cprdnick

cprdnick Just Clint

Care to share what you did? lol. Mine is the same way and I usually have to squeeze the metal plate and roof side board together pretty hard to get the locks to go through the holes.