January 2020 - What did you do for your camper?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Jan 1, 2020.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Ordered our new mattress in a box. We'll have to trim the angled corners, and before it arrives, we need to clear away the two foam layers we've been using so we can open it immediately. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the upper 40s, so we'll work with the foam, and retrieve my Omnia oven so I can experiment with it in the house. I ordered the new muffin insert, which should be nice.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I had to look up the oven, cool idea. Let us know how it works!

3. kitphantom

@Sjm9911: For the little bit I've done in the Omnia, it seems to work well. I got it with a rack, silicone inserts, and parchment rings; the muffin ring is new. I'm hoping to make more use of it this year.
    I have a Coleman camp oven and an Outback oven (we used that a lot in tent camping days & before changing our routine camp foods). The nice thing with the Omnia is that I can use it on the inside stove if I wish, which will be a help in windy and/or bad weather.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Getting her ready for our 2020 camping trips. Can’t wait to go.
    • DH replaced the old and faulty carbon monoxide and propane detector. It was long past due. They have a life span of seven years. Mine was dated 2011 and installed on my 2013 Aliner. Last year’s camping trips were interrupted by chirping from the detector. The replacement is an upgraded version.
    • DH replaced the trailer safety brake wire. It was fraying and now has been upgraded to a better product.
    • Next, I polished the stainless steel sink. Looks much better. Almost like new. No matter how much I wiped it clean, polishing it makes the difference.
    • The water tank has been sanitized as annual maintenance.
    • The hot water anode rod replaced. It usually needs to be replaced each season.
    • Bedding & linens washed.
    • Exterior washed & waxed as regular maintenance.
    • Bearings lube and wheels torqued.
    • All items refilled or replaced inside the trailer.
    • Interior maintenance completed.
    Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

Sjm9911 and Econ like this.
  5. kitphantom

We got into the trailer, and got the old memory foam topper smooshed into a 55-gallon drum liner. Not as easy as it sounds, especially since that foam does not cooperate well when cold. Into the trash container for pickup tomorrow. We'll cut the newer/firmer piece of foam down for the dinette bed later, on a warmer day. We moved it off the bed (it behaves much better than memory foam) so we can put the new mattress on as soon as it arrives.
    Measured to see if we could use the range hood Raycfe posted earlier. Turns out our current one must be a smaller size than many, the Furrion is a bit wider than ours and only half an inch less in depth from rear wall. Darn, I thought we'd be able reduce the hood footprint.

6. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

I’d like to replace my queen mattress with a foam version. DH wants to wait until we go to the dark side. The mattress was a replacement for the rv cushions. I currently use a memory foam topper in addition to the mattress. You’re right, it’s tough to work with memory foam in cold weather. Camping in cold weather can be uncomfortable with a memory foam mattress. It’s like laying on a block of ice until the camper warms up from the furnace and body heat.

Not having a memory foam mattress topper is worst.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

7. kitphantom

@DiamondGirl -
    we've had memory foam toppers in both popups, and added one to the funky original mattress in the TT, in an effort to make that work (it didn't we bought a slab of foam to use under the memory foam). This one was 3", which is just too thick for me, making it difficult to roll over. We had 1" in the first popup, limited by space t0 close down, and 2" at home and in the second popup. I bought a 2" memory foam last year, so a friend could sleep on the dinette, but it was too soft for her, and she found rolling over difficult, but the regular foam should work for that, once we cut it down.
    The foam combo we've been using in the TT was just barely OK for me, but my husband is just enough heavier and larger than I am (~200#) that he was bottoming out. I finally found a couple of mattresses on Amazon that were not too thick, since we access the storage under the bed several times a day. (It was difficult with the original mattress/memory foam, it just barely bent enough to open, and was too heavy for the lifters so we had to hold it open.) This one is firm foam, 2" of memory foam, and looked like we could cut the corners, needed for access around the end of the bed. We'll see.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We got a MotorHome for our long winter trips. Just finished setting up one of our cars to be flat towed (tow bar base plate and wiring it up so it's lights work as trailer brakes from the motor home. Inserted diodes so the two electrical systems are isolated.

Rusty2192 and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Not too much today .... just changed my sink front to tilt out ...super easy ordered another tray (I wanted to see how it came out first).
    IMG_0878.JPG
    Love the warm weather.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

The tilt outs are nice. Even for the home!

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I installed a water pressure surge tank and reset the water pressure. It was all screwed up. I also re-mounted the pump with a second layer of vibration isolation. A couple of other things planned, but not done yet.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Thought about it while walking around the rv show and realized I’m still very happy with the one I already got!

13. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I get that same feeling.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I installed my new shower head. An Oxygenics. Came highly recommended.
    I installed a new cover that hides the water heater bypass. It was a pain in the ass to open/close before.
    I also had to reduce the current to the night light LED in my bathroom. Damn thing was way too bright for a night light.

15. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I bought a fabric pull-down shade from IKEA to go over my rear doorway in the TT, measured from the hip.

If this fits as well as I think, I might R&R all the crappy blinds for these units. Cheap is the word.

neighbormike likes this.
  16. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Did some electrical work to day. The light over the dinette table was like a household kitchen light. I had replaced the backup type bulb in it with a led but didn't improve it much, so last year I added another led bulb ...... better but not great. I found a regular 2 light household kitchen light in my travels and installed that with 12 volt LED household bulbs from Amazon ...... now that's light. I also installed a 1 or both bulb switch in the base of the fixture.
    Next up upgraded my double tiny rocker switches by the door to a nicer one and added labels to it and my remote A/C wall switch.
    Lastly I took out the monster radio with a million buttons off the hard to reach side of the kitchen cabinet and install a smaller one with bluetooth to the cabinet front, nice and easy to reach.
    I do a lot of mods, but as the old yankee I am, I usually buy used, open box, surplus, Amazon warehouse deals. So I always bench test every thing before I install such items.
    IMG_0888.JPG IMG_0887.JPG Switches
    IMG_0885.JPG The old monster IMG_0886.JPG IMG_0889.JPG The new
    Whats up next ....... cover the hole where the old radio was. I already moved the partition wall that was behind the radio to make the overhead compartment bigger. But I still have the hole with a 2 inch deep space. Maybe I will mount a picture with hinges to cover it up and have a small "safe" space behind it. Will see.

Sjm9911, kitphantom and neighbormike like this.
  17. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

18. kitphantom

The new muffin insert arrived for the Omnia stove top oven; it's 6 muffin cups in a circle that fits into the Omnia pan, which is ring shaped. Experimented yesterday with corn muffins - there will be a bit of a learning curve, since the silicone transfers heat less efficiently than the aluminum pan alone. Worked OK, but will run a few more tests before using it while camping. (If something is a complete failure, we're more apt to have something as a back-up when camping,
    The new step ladder arrived today, so I don't have to keep taking the one that lives in the sun room. 3 steps, which allows me to more safely climb into the bed of the truck or reach something high on the TT if necessary.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. fredhead

fredhead Member

Popped it up a little so I could get in and make some measurements. We found we were sitting sideways in the dinette, with the table up, to watch TV. The television hangs on a strap inside the pup. Wife and I decided we will just leave the dinette table down and use it as a large couch, so I want to make a cushion to go along the outer wall, and cover the slide rails.

50" long and about 16' high, I'm not buying a full sheet of plywood so the length will be 48" Then I went to the fabric store to get some upholstery fabric and 4" foam rubber. Holy mother of pearl! (Blazing Saddles quote here) A 2X4 foot piece of 4" foam rubber is almost $200!!

So now I'm thinking about stuffing the cushion with a pair of body pillows, or maybe buying an old couch from a thrift store and using the cushions from that.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  20. kitphantom

The new mattress-in-a-box arrived this morning, so we opened it in the trailer and it's on the bed. There is some out-gassing (the mfr warned about that) and the smoke detector squawked as Courtenay pulled the plastic wrapping off and whisked it past the detector. Especially surprising since we thought we'd pulled that battery. We left a fan running, and the ceiling vent above the bed is ope, so that should all clear up soon.
    It looks like we may not need to cut the bottom corners, we'll see how the clearances at the end of the bed are once we have bedding on it. It's an inch or so shorter than the previous "mattress" was.

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.