January 2021 - What did you do for your camper?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Jan 1, 2021.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Happy New Year!

Too early to have done much of anything for the trailer yet. I think the most we have planned camper-related in the next couple of days is to make plans for trips, and get the reservation dates on the calendar. If we get to sorting in one of the rooms we use for storage, we may take some more things back to the trailer, as long as the cold won't effect them.
    So far, the first plans for camping this year aren't until June, when a friend and I have reservations for a Sisters on the Fly event in Flagstaff, followed by a visit to Grand Canyon - we couldn't be that close and not go to the Canyon. Seems odd to think that we're just hoping that event, 6 months away, will go off in some way, shape, or form.

2. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Battery Reminder

kitphantom likes this.
  3. kitphantom

I forgot that one, thanks!

I'm going to put a 2021 calendar in the trailer today. I thought we weren't going to bother, but it does come in handy there from time to time The space looks empty without it, after a couple of years of putting an extra calendar there.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. kitphantom

I had a reminder to glance at the EMS in the garage from time to time today. I looked at it, and realized it was not on. Apparently in all the shuffling while defrosting the garage freezer this week, the plug was knocked askew. (we still have every cooler we've used in 30+ years of camping, worn or not, they come in handy when it's time to defrost the freezer.) At least it wasn't long enough to worry about the batteries, since they now stay on the trailer over the off-season.

5. kitphantom

I made reservations to take it to a Sisters on the Fly event in mid-May. So far, that will be the first trip of the year, so a good shake-down for my longer trip in June. Assuming both of them go off as planned.
    At this point, we have not put the cover on the trailer, guessing it may not happen for the remaining 2 months of our normal off-season. My plan is to just keep using it as occasional workspace, and get it de-winterized and ready to go as usual.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Chad Bonnema

Chad Bonnema New Member

Just reserved spots for the "wild West adventure"! Going to the Badlands, Custer, Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Bozeman, and Cheyenne this summer with the pup (and family of course!).

Sjm9911 and kitphantom like this.
  7. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

yesterday I checked the fluid level in both the flooded lead-acid batteries in the far rear inside our Aliner. They are both in battery boxes, properly vented, each in the same manner.. The top of the curb-side battery had red back-country dust on it - the other battery did not.

Sjm9911 and kitphantom like this.
  8. kitphantom

We decided that the trailer is just not going to get covered this winter. We need a warm couple of days to do some caulking, at least we're still on the preventing end of leaks, rather than sealing them.

Made reservations for a Thanksgiving week trip to AZ, split between Tucson, where our friends live, and Roper Lake SP, where we'll have sites next to each other. We finally decided we'd just begin planning and making reservations, assuming things will improve for traveling at some point this year. If we don't make plans, trips don't happen.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Took the Sonic out for a walk and roll. Took it to the coast for a run around James Island for a couple of days. Brought it back and blew the water lines out for the freeze this coming week.

kitphantom likes this.
  10. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Aliner adventures in AZ Diamond Supporting Member

Bought plastic containers for the fridge. Helps keep the fridge clean and leak free while making it easier to stock the fridge before heading out. Replaced the lids on the Hydroller water containers.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

kitphantom likes this.
  11. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Stopped my lower door from binding on the sill - tho barely.

12. jibski

jibski New Member

I’ve become obsessed with winter boondocking in single digit weather. Last trip out I froze up my water system. So just prior to my New Years Rockies trip I added insulation to my water compartment and water lines. No freezing this time around but I’m still planning to add some strategically placed computer fans to circulate some warmer main cabin air into the water compartment to help further.
    5F93A661-3AC6-48A4-8520-6F0AA70D42E9.jpeg C4B3CE36-ED7C-4526-A705-A6AE840768DB.jpeg

DiamondGirl and Econ like this.
  13. Anjie

Anjie New Member

I recently got a great deal on a like-new 1998 Coleman Redwood this fall after selling my first pop-up 6 years ago when I remarried a man with a 30' camper trailer. I can't tow the big camper and now have a 5-year-old Grand-daughter wanting to go camping with Grandma. We haven't started on it yet, but we have such big plans for this little pup. We have picked out nice quilts and bedding, new curtains, and all the things to make it a Tea Party on wheels. She has even come up with a plan to make chandeliers out of our pop up camp lights. :D We plan to pull all of the cabinets out, rebuild and paint then turn the seats so that they are in front of the back bunk end adding storage behind them. That was the layout my old 93 Coleman Pioneer Sedona had and as small as it was it felt much larger than this 10' Redwood. We are taking out all of the water and interior gas connections. When I camp I want to be OUTSIDE and only use the camper to sleep and rest. I would rather have the storage and no risk of leaks. We are adding a nice camp toilet and cabinet as well as many other necessities to camp comfortably with a bunch of little girls. :D We plan to start on the remodel the first part of February and head out to Texas for our first camping trip at the end of March. I cannot wait to get started. Pics of the exiting and color schemes for the remodel. 1998 Pop Up Camper.jpg Pop Up Design.jpg

neighbormike and Glyn O'Keefe like this.
  14. Mary Bordeaux

Mary Bordeaux Member Gold Supporting Member

Finished converting our 2-person dinette into a sofa. We wanted a lightweight TT with a walk around bed, shower not tub, and sofa. We're in our 70s and we need these things to make camping comfortable. Well, we got two out of three - in this market, compromise is important. On our first three trips, we set up the dinette as a bed and added lots of pillows to make a sofa. And figured out why we didn't want a dinette - those cushions are NOT comfortable for extended sitting. So I purchased some 6-inch high-density foam for the seat and backrest and that seems like it will do the trick. Over the next few months I'll work on making covers. Can't wait for our next trip to try it out - end of February in Pensacola FL.

neighbormike likes this.
  15. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Have you considered using Harbour Fright anti fatigue floor mats as insulation for a cold floor?

Thanks

DiamondGirl likes this.
  16. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Well, I'm still building my project stash for April. Got new stairs, new stinky slinky holder, new flavorizer plate for grill all ready to go. Need to decide on a new vent fan for the bedroom. I like the MaxxAir fully automated one, but I read the remote doesn't work well. I want something that can stay open in the rain, because it rains a lot here. Perhaps I will look at the Fantastic Fan models. Batteries are doing well in the garage, up on 2x4s and on the Battery Minder desulfating.

17. kitphantom

We installed a Fantastic Fan last year, adding a PWM control at the suggestion of someone here on the Portal. That fan replaced the original bath fan, which broke. We also installed new MaxxAir Vent covers over that one and the not-fan vent in the main part of the cabin. The vents can stay open in the rain. With the PWM controller, we have a wide range of speeds, rather than the low-medium-high of control on the Fantastic Fan, it also uses less power, handy while dry camping. It was great to be able to have the fan on while dry camping when it was hot, with the bathroom door ajar it can draw the hot air up and out.

generok likes this.
  18. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

@generok - for what it’s worth, I installed the maxxfan this past summer and love it! The remote works very well, however it is designed for line-of-sight use. This allows for multiple fans in the same trailer and still have them independently controlled.

kcsa75 and generok like this.
  19. jibski

jibski New Member

I actually had not thought of that. And I have a stack of them from an old home gym setup. I will def give that a try. Brilliant. Thank you!!!

kcsa75 likes this.
  20. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Camped in it two nights. Oh, and I lubed the entry steps with WD-40.

neighbormike likes this.