Jayco 1206 purchase.

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Hammer_2012, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Hammer_2012

Hammer_2012 New Member

Well because our insurance company wouldn't cover the damages on our roof we are selling our Coleman Utah.

I've got a line on an extremely clean 2007 Jayco 1206, Is there anything in particular I should be looking at on a used Jayco? This model is very clean and a really good price , so We're thinking of taking a gamble and purchase this before we sell our Coleman.

Any advice On looking at use Jayco's?

Cheers!

2. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

Check the roof on the center seam, check behind the canvas on the sidewalls of the roof as well. Open cabinets etc in all the corners and check the lift cables and pullys and make sure they are not damaged. I would say check the very back on the floor as well to make sure it is not soft etc. Good luck and hope you have a new camper soon.

3. drmark50

drmark50 New Member

How did the purchase go? We are also looking at the 1206. Find any problems? What was the price?

4. BoomJammer

BoomJammer Jason

Just some feedback on these suggestions: on our 2008 Jayco 1206, we don't have a center seam on the roof. Also, I don't think I can access the lift cables and pulleys through the cabinets. ...I'll have to look again, though, next time I pop it up.

Regarding what to look for... When we bought ours (used), ours had (still has) little holes in the canvas where it had been pinched. This was the canvas on the slideout, right above the support bracket in the dinette that supports the bed rail when it slides in. It's like the previous owners didn't know to pull the canvas out of the way before sliding the bed in. It's not a big issue, but if yours has these holes, maybe you can use them to negotiate the price down.

Other things that I used for downward negotiation or that I have since discovered after the purchase include: missing dolly wheel on the jack, dirty canvas on the bunk ends, missing tongue pin, nearly dead battery (and a hybrid battery at that, not true deep cycle), missing cap on one leg/foot of the dinette table, missing fill funnel for the clean water tank for the toilet (it should store on the black water cassette tank between the upper handle and the fill/drain spout), cracked seam filler/caulk at many exterior joints that need to be re-worked, tires that are approaching their "statutory" mandatory retirement age.

Ask when the wheel bearings were last serviced, then don't rely on what they said. Instead, service them yourself through the EZ-lube nipples when you get home (flush all the old grease out until you see your new grease coming out).

I haven't had much else to complain about. :) Not that I'm complaining. The 1206 is a great camper for our family and we've already been making many family memories with it.

One other note, ours is a bit tongue heavy (about 19-20% of trailer weight when packed for camping). So a weight distribution hitch has been a helpful thing to have. And yes, Jayco approves the use of a WDH even though the A-frame uses c-channel structural members. But I would advise against using the Reese 350 mini. The a-frame is already very crowded and doesn't really have room for the friction pads. If I had to do it again, I would explore the Equal-i-zer 6000 lbs WDH.

Hope this helps. Maybe you've already made a purchase by now?

5. COdreaming

COdreaming New Member

6. Hammer_2012

Hammer_2012 New Member

Well we've had our 1206 out once and getting ready for the next trip, we really love it. Aside from a couple issues with broken awning parts and curtain strings broken it's in pretty good shape! Although I gave it a good wasing last night and noticed a small roof crack in the front corner (probably the reason why the roof wasn't that clean when they sold it).

Anybody have experience fixing a 1" crack in a jayco roof?

Cheers