Jayco 1207?????

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by themaverick, Apr 1, 2013.

1. themaverick

themaverick New Member

I have been back and forth for two months now trying to figure all this out. I have a 2009 ford explorer with the stock class 2. 3500 pound two limit. adding tranny cooler this week. I had my heart set on a rockwood premier 2516g or 2514g. these two campers per reading here will push my TV to the limit and not allow me to bring any gear. I was also looking on the jayco site and ran down there floor plans. I have no local jayco dealers, Albany rv in Albany can order if I need but I can not look at one in person. I have heard that jayco is great and just as nice as the rockwood premier series. I will be purchasing brand new.
    On jayco website they have the 1206 that I like, but it looks just has heavy as the rockwoods. but then I came across the 1207. according to rockwood it list dry weight as 1965 and tongue weight as 170. it does not have a slideout but I guess I will have to sacrifice(I really wanted a slide). anyways, does anyone have any experience with a 1207? it looks nice online. the only thing I liked about rockwood better is it seems you get a better stove with it. rockwood has a nice indoor three burner stove and it looks like the jayco gives a tiny two burner stove.. no biggie, but still... anyways, looking at all these options, would I be safer and better and just go with a 1207, or chance it and go with my first choice and my heart and get the rockwood? my heart is set on that, but I also love my explorer and need it more then a popup..thank you

2. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

This is the floorplan we have and it is one of the most popular floorplan for any brand of PUP. It was the floorplan I knew wouldn't be to heavy laden for our Honda Odyssey, yet it would have the layout that would work for us. We purchased 1999 model. Ours came with a 3 burner stove, but to tell you the truth it can get a bit crowded on the stove. We have a separate camp stove we use when we need a bit more room cooking.

We use a luggable loo at night in the space between the dinette. We have made a privacy screen for it (cardboard project display board that is placed on the seat closest to the door. The bed curtain serves as the other one.

We have since upgraded our TV to a 4.7L Tundra with a factor towing capacity. It tows the PUP like butter. A truck frame will always do better pulling than a van/car frame. Our Odyssey had a factory towing package, but one could feel the pup back there. Love our Jayco, but other manufacturers have this plan or at least they used to carry their version. Theres's my [2C]

May you find what will work for you and you can get campin' soon!

3. HC

HC New Member

3 burner stove? how much cooking will you be doing in the camper? if you are like most of us it will be slim to none. And 3 burners doesn't make it a better stove.

Do the math with the TV specs, then you will know what you can tow.

4. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

What is the rating of the Explorer itself, independant of the hitch? You might find you can upgrade to a class III and be just fine

5. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

The 1207 was our other choice. IMO it's the best option for you. [2C]

6. opie232

opie232 Member

I bought a 1997 1207 because of the weight and it had almost everything we were looking for. so far it seams solid.

7. bondebond

bondebond New Member

With my '06 Jayco 1007 weighing a meager 1,800 pounds empty, I felt like it pushed my Explorer around like a school yard bully. My Explorer was similarly equipped at the factory - 3,500 tow rating, Class 2 hitch, etc.

I would not want to put something behind it that put it anywhere close to the rating. I cursed the day the transmission on it died while pulling the Jayco towards the mountains in Colorado (not my first trip with this rig).

I was ecstatic two days later when I traded it in on something with 7,000 pound tow capacity and was actually able to accelerate uphill on some of those long, steep climbs.

I love the Explorers. They are great creature comfort vehicles but their towing performance is lacking. Since I doubt you have plans to upgrade your TV, work well within its towing limitations, which is true with any vehicle - just my personal opinion that it is more the case with Explorers. I was rudely awakened to that fact when I was attempting to rent a trailer from U-Haul and the ONLY vehicle they would not allow as a TV was an Explorer (for a myriad of reasons, not just tow capacity).

8. Dale Boudreaux

Dale Boudreaux New Member

We loved our jayco 1207. It was more then enough room for Kiddos and pets and DW. We have since gone to the dark side, but it was a great PUP.

9. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

That may not be entirely correct.

The 2012 2316G has a dry weight of 2,473 and a GVWR of 3,292. That number means that you're overloading your trailer 200 lbs before you need to start being concerned about going over your tow limit. And you do NOT want to overload your trailer.

Assuming that the trailer had 300 lbs of options, you could still load 500 lbs of gear onto the trailer. So, assume that between fixed options on the trailer and gear, you max out the trailer at 3,292 lbs. 10% of that weight is on the tongue/vehicle. You're towing 2,963 lbs at that point. That is well within the towing limits of the Explorer and the Class II hitch.

You could have a fully loaded 2316G on that Explorer and still be a shade less than 85% of your towing capacity.

I don't know the GVWR and GCWR of your Explorer. Those numbers will dictate your payload (how much gear and passengers you can have in your Explorer when towing the 2316G). Assuming that those number check out, I see no reason to compromise here.

I wouldn't dismiss all Explorers as a poor class of tow vehicles. My 4.6L Explorer tows my PUP better than my 5.4L F150.