Jayco 2017 Sport potential purchase

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by enrico coron, Oct 4, 2021.

1. enrico coron

enrico coron New Member

I'm going to look at a 2017 Jayco sport that looks to be in very good condition. It's the 10SD model to be specific. It has a queen and full bed, stove, 3 way fridge, sink, couch, 30amp power hook up, inverter for battery to 110V, city water hookup and 30 gallon tank, no bathroom, I think it has heater and pre wired for AC, has a stereo, trying to find out if it has trailer brakes or not.

I guess what I'm asking is, private sale, is $8,000 a fair price? I mean I realize that's a loaded question, seems like the right trailer for my family of 3, but it is the first one I will look at. I see a lot of heavier ones my car can't handle as dealers who are asking more and they look to be in inferior condition.

I did read the stickies on what to look for and plan to bring that printed out so as not to forget.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Sound good. Most campers do have breaks now a days.

3. enrico coron

enrico coron New Member

So does anyone else think 8k is a pretty fair price? Just don't want to get fleeced on my first pop up purchase.

4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yup, as with anything now, covid has spiked demand and prices. So from the nada value posted above, its a good price. Make sure to check it out yourself, real good before purchasing.

firepit likes this.
  6. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Price and values have been out the window and have been for quite some time.
    The time of year right now may help a little.
    I paid $8600 new OTD pre covid for my Clipper.
    Right now the same camper new is $14000 and up last time I looked
    Even $8600 in 2019 and you count 21's and 22's with inflation that's a huge jump.
    The only changes on my model is a added porch light...LED's under cabinets and a cheap outdoor grill.
    Mine is as basic and small as they come besides the roof top AC.
    Sounds like what your looking at is reasonable to me.
    Plus the seller may have a little room.
    The question will be what it looks like in person??

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Essentially what everyone else said. Condition is paramount! Look that thing over top to bottom, in every cupboard, crawl under the camper and look at it from underneath only listen to the seller with a partial ear. Make your assessment with your eyes not by what the seller says.

Jayco uses and L&W lift system which is entirely enclosed within the camper. So if gosh forbid an issue is to arise expect to crawl around behind access panels etc inside the camper to even see a section of the lift. I discovered with my old 1990 Jayco most RV shops refuse to even look at the lift as accessing it is a pain and time consuming if they need more room to work. So something to keep in mind. With that said it is a pretty good lift and if one cable is to break you still have three other cables to raise/lower the roof. The lift for the most part was fairly maintenance free however checking things on a regular basis will be very wise as there are a ton of moving parts. Good luck. I loved my Jayco when I had it although mine was as bare bones as they came back then. I’m not sure if they finally changed the roofs over the years but if that one has a center seam look it over very carefully. That was the one weakness on mine.

8. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

You probably don't have an inverter from battery to 110V, but a converter from 110V to 12V (battery).

$8000 seems on the high end, but that's where things are right now unfortunately.

Anyone know when Jayco went away from the L&W lift system and switched to Goshen? That would be a factor for me (I much prefer Goshen)

9. enrico coron

enrico coron New Member

Well I ended up getting it at a little under the asking price. It was in excellent shape outside and in and he showed me everything working with the exception of the heater, which he said he had never used (never had to in SoCal), and I believed him but I think there is something funny about how the thermostat works, anyways he lowered the price because maybe some work needs to be done there, also he hadn't re packed the bearings so I will have that done as well. But everything else worked perfectly and no signs of anything at all looking anything but brand new (almost 'RV lot' new condition). Did I probably overpay a little, yes probably but its a sellers market and if this had popped up last spring I wouldn't have even had the chance to overpay for a 3 year old pop up in great shape. Now I need to finish clearing out the garage and move it on in, and then focus in on making a few mods to my Subaru Outback so towing it won't be an issue (towed it home with a borrowed Durango).

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Congratulations on your new to you Jayco. Now we need pictures or it didn’t happen. ;):D

11. enrico coron

enrico coron New Member

I actually meant to snap a photo when I had it hooked up to my Outback today moving it to the garage. I actually noticed that my rear suspension has already taken quite a beating on the many road trips I've taken with it, and the extra load really made that obvious. I'm probably going to have to have the original shocks replaced as well as any extra beef added back there. What are these 'airbags' I've heard mentioned to help with that? Is that better than reinforcing springs? But she's in the garage now safe and sound. I was able to get it 95% of the way in with the car doing an Austin Powers 8 point turn in the alley before putting the wheel on and shoving it the last foot, but I found this online and thought it might be handy, especially with tight camp set ups.

https://www.vevor.com/products/moto...AnmUo-rW8wO7Rew718fQIDC3YvGblipxoCXk0QAvD_BwE

12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new Jayco. I have a 99, and have been happy with it for the several years I have owned it.

I am planning on getting a trailer valet. Little more expensive, but I will be able to easily swap between the pup and the box trailer, neither of which have onboard batteries. Plus I just found out my back alley neighbor will be putting a new fence up along with a driveway gate. That will pretty much prevent me from backing the pup in to its pad as I won't be able to swing wide anymore.

13. enrico coron

enrico coron New Member

Yes plus it could come in handy on really tight campsites too. I put a hole in the top of the roof of my own stupidity. Its not huge, do they sell repair kits or is this something better patched up at an RV shop?