Jayco Factory Roof Bike Rack Mounts??

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Hammer_2012, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Hammer_2012

Hammer_2012 New Member

Just purchased a NTU 2007 Jayco 1206. The previous owner ordered the trailer new and had a mount installed for a roof bike rack. I've attached a photo, anyone else have this type of mount and what type of rack do they work with??

[​IMG]

[Cheers

2. COdreaming

COdreaming New Member

That's not factory installed. It looks like the anchor for a hard shell cargo carrier. My parents have one with flat hooks that hook into brackets that look just like that. Then you cinch down the straps to get it nice and tight. However, they're usually mounted onto the rails, not the roof itself.

3. Hammer_2012

Hammer_2012 New Member

Cool, thanks for the info, I didn't think that was for a bike rack. But the old owners told me that's what it was for. And I know he had bikes on the roof because you can see little dents in the roof where the tires of the bikes were sitting LOL.

Anyway, I actually couldn't find a good solution for a bike rack. I'm never comfortable drilling holes in my roof, and in the big picture I didn't want to get a rack setup for the camper and a separate one for the truck to go biking on days we're not camping.

So I ended up making a rack that fits on the the tonneau cover of the truck. It's made from PVC pipe and EMT inside for strength, turned out pretty good, have taken it out on a few test runs up to 60mph + and absolutely no issues. Whole thing cost me $70 for the tonneau rack and $150 for the bike racks. I'm going to finish it with some black bed liner paint and it should blend right in.

[​IMG]

4. COdreaming

COdreaming New Member

Those brackets could have been used for a bike rack, but they look awfully similar to the tie down brackets on my parents carrier. Maybe universal? [?:~{]

I like your set-up though. Good idea leaving it on the truck so it can be used camping or not camping! :)