Jayco Feather 7 16XRB upgrade

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by BillG, Jul 12, 2016.

1. BillG

BillG Go'in fishing

Well we traded in the Jayco 806 PU for this HTT. We decided that if we were every going to use this on a trip (stopping only at night while traveling) we would have to get something that did not take as much time to put up and take down as the PU.
    So far all looks good and we will be going out on its maiden voyage in two week.
    We had to have a new TV, which we had just bought, which enabled us to upgrade the trailer. We were looking at a Toyota and when I saw this listed in stock at the dealer, I took and look at it and was hooked. It is a 2013 Venza with factory tow package. I have only towed the trailer back from the dealers but all went well and even with high winds it seemed to pull nice and straight.
    I thought I was going to have to look for a new NG but then saw this section on my favorite NG.

2. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Feel free.to post us a few pictures of the new camper. Congratulations !

3. bknjohnson

bknjohnson Tyngsboro MA

Congrats. Considering the same model or the X17Z. Both seem to be within the towing capacity of our Dodge Grand Caravan.

4. Scotia 55

Scotia 55 Member

Congrats on the new Jayco Hybrid!

You'll love towing with the Venza. My Venza tows our Rockwood HW like a charm. You"ll need to install a WDH to prevent the rear-end sag.

I do not have anti-sway nor do I need it. You'll have more wind resistance with the HTT so I would play that one by ear. No need to buy what you don't need. As per my manual I tow in sport mode 4th gear.

5. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Congrats on the new camper

6. stefie19

stefie19 Active Member

Congrats. We just made a similar move to an HTT. Sad to say goodbye to the PUP but the pro of being able to do one nighters will enable us to travel further on the little vacation time that we have at this point.

7. BillG

BillG Go'in fishing

Will do after our first outing. We should be back before next month. We are really liking the way things seem to fit inside so far.

8. BillG

BillG Go'in fishing

WHD with sway bar installed by the dealer. The local dealers will not allow you to tow a TT off the lot without it. Complete installation of the WHD and the wiring is only $325 which I consider a bargain.
    And yes, I will be towing in 4th as well.

9. BillG

BillG Go'in fishing

Yes, that was the main impetus for getting the HHT. We do have a lot of time, and next year we will be traveling out West. We will be retracing some the trip my wife made, going to CA via National Parks and back via Canada in a small PU, 2 children, 3 adults back in the 1970's.

10. bknjohnson

bknjohnson Tyngsboro MA

With your Venza you said you have a 3500 lb tow capacity. With the dry weight of that hybrid upwards of 3000 pounds already are you finding yourself close to max weight? Considering the same camper with our minivan next spring, same tow capacity and curious about the wind drag and handling. I'm not looking for cross country trips, but we are looking at that 16XRB with interest.

11. BillG

BillG Go'in fishing

Just back from our first outing and as far as towing it was a dream to pull. We do have the WDS and Sway Bar on that which might add to that good feeling I got as I sailed down the road. They would not sell me the vehicle without that setup, by the way. I towed with high winds at one point, and blinding rain at another and other than slowing down in the rain all went well. I have towed for over 50 years and this is the first WDS that I have had and I really like it. Driving in 4th gear reduced my mileage by about 40%, but that was expected. Thinking back, I even towed with a TR7.

12. Scotia 55

Scotia 55 Member

Great to hear that your Venza pulls your Hybrid well!

On flat stretches I sometimes will take my Venza out of 4th and back to "D". Not sure if I should but it does bring my rpm's down. The Venza doesn't appear to struggle or hunt for gears, and I speculate that it probably gives the temperature in my transmission a bit of relief and maybe it helps my gas mileage a bit as well. Don't know for sure.

13. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

I just moved up to a Jayfeather 18F last week and took it out for a hundred mile trip last weekend, Maiden voyage. Here are a few things I learned along the way. My tow vehicle is 2002 GMC 1500 2wd 4.8 liter longbox with 342 diffy and 4L 60 tranny.
    I was shocked by how the pickup was fishin for gears on any little grade I encountered.I was turnin 1800 RPM @ 64mph in O/drive. On a long steep grade of about a mile the temp gauge went to about 230 and I was in tow/haul mode. After I crested the hill it came down to normal 205/210 in about 1 minute. No crime no foul. On return trip I opted for keepin tranny in 3rd gear with no movement on temp gauge. RPM was 2300 @ 64mph lost about 2MPG avg 14. PUP avg was about 16 @ 65mph W/OD PUP weight 2600 loaded 18F weight 3300 loaded with no water.
    Conclusion, the Jayco is a bit squirrely goin down the road . Even with ideal hitch/tongue height. Towing with anything less than a fullsize PU or SUV your crazy if you don't add at least a friction swaybar.
    The short length and single axle and height of the unit make it squirrely for anything over 60MPH. And that would apply to any HTT single axle.
    I've hauled larger TT and PU's on my car hauler which were thousands of pounds heavier with my TV without so much as a hiccup. I have over 1.3 million miles haulin RV"s. I think it's the nature of the beast. Let's be careful out there.
    I believe with your TV and you added a swaybar you should be able to run 65 /70 with no problems. Keep your tranny in 4th gear your drive train will thank you. You'll lose some MPG but what the hey. You'll find the sweet spot that your rig likes to run at quickly.

14. BillG

BillG Go'in fishing

As I mentioned, the dealers around here will not allow you to tow a trailer off the lot without a WDS and Sway Bar. It is a required part of the purchase.

About a month ago I was passed by a pickup towing a small TT without a WDS or Sway Bar, it was fishtailing down the road and bouncing strangely. I was very happy to back off and let him get way ahead of me so I would have time to stop if something went very wrong(I was not towing at the time).

15. bknjohnson

bknjohnson Tyngsboro MA

Last week I passed a slightly larger expandable than yours, not sure of the make but with dual axles on the trailer I know it's above my TV's 3500 pound capacity. As I passed it, I noticed the front of the camper was lower than the back. Then I noticed why. The vehicle towing it was a Subaru Outback. I got as far away from that combination as possible. I drive an Outback every day, no way am I pulling a camper that heavy with my car.

16. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

I heard the same BS from Dealer I bought mine from too about WDH and swaybar. I drove mine off the lot bare assed Class IV hitch and brake controller. justa scam to sell you more crap. Like I said before if your pullin with anything less than a full size PU or SUV it would be wise to put a full setup on. Ideal height for a rig is 16inches from ground to ball. You can compensate with changing drop or rise by changing heads.
    But......Your rear suspension has to be able to handle 10 to 15 % tongue weight. I go a smidge toward the heavy side. To much tongue weight= loss of front braking and steering control = bad ju ju. Believe it or not your front brakes still handle 60 to 70 % of your TV stopping power. And set your trailer brakes light. To much trailer brake will jackknife you quicker than you can blink, I had it happen. Luck I jumped off the brakes quickly and trailer snapped back. Try setting T brakes so you feel a MILD drag when stopping your rig with trailer brakes only. Do this on a parking lot or low traffic area. Found that little tidbitt out when a herd of deer ran out in front of me one early Ohio morning when I was pulling a 36 foot tagalong. And the trailer decided to try and pass me, when I hit the brakes hard. I'm probably going to catch hell for giving IMO from some folks here, but I ran this way for over a million miles with no accidents in a 13 year span in all weather and it worked for me. You can never take to much safety precaution and if you don't feel comfortable with your setup, change it till you are. White knuckles and an ass puckered seat cushion ain't fun times.

17. skirk55

skirk55 New Member

We have a jayco ex 170 and watch your speed! We were on RT.10 today just in Texas and we had a time with this trailer around 18 Wheeler's and a 75mph road. This 17' trailer is easy to pull and 63 mph is it for us.

18. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

Dangerous places, RV shows...

We really shouldn't have gone, should have stayed home and found something constructive to do, but no.. we had to go and look at RV's.
    Just to get some ideas for mods, or course.
    Just to see what they're doing these days.

So, inevitably, we bought one....
    A Jayco Jay Feather 7 (https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2017-jay-feather-7/, if anyone's interested).
    We came away in shock at our own daring, but it is nice. The two biggest attractions are ease/speed of setup and the fact that it has a bathroom door ! (As in, it has an actual bathroom with a real door... no more rigging curtains to use the potty or take a shower)

Our big annual trip is to the Smokies in the Fall, and it can get cold up there - we've folded up frozen canvas and towed out in snow, before now - so the hybrid body will be warmer, and there's no more need to trek to the campsite bathrooms in the middle of the night.

We pick it up in two weeks, which gives me time to figure out where to put it... I'm pretty sure it won't fit under the carport, or squeeze through into the back yard, so we may have to make a parking pad on the front lawn.

We had a lot of fun in our Starcraft, but honestly, I'm getting to the age where prepping for a trip, setting up and taking down were getting painful and taking longer, so this means we will be able to camp more often, maybe even local overnight or weekends, on impulse. It will be easier to keep things on board most of the time, so we can look at the weather, and be ready to go in an hour or two. With the PUP, we had to crank it up, load our bedding and clothes and food and camping toys and crank it shut again, before we even left the driveway.

The PUP was also getting to the point where I needed to do more and more work to keep it repaired and in good shape, but now we get to start over with a brand new rig.. and a blank canvas for all the mods, waiting for me to to try out :)

Pictures and a first review, soon after we get it.

Ian & Julie

19. Cloudscout

Cloudscout New Member

We will take delivery of our Jay Feather 16XRB on Friday morning just in time to drive up to Itasca State Park. This is replacing the 2002 Jayco Qwest 10X pop up that we bought exactly a year ago. That was really just a test to see if we (well, my wife) would enjoy camping. She liked it enough that we booked a few trips for this year and last week we decided that it might be a good idea to find something larger and easier to prep.

20. SlavCo

SlavCo Member

It's the single axle that makes them squirrely. I towed a rental 17' Roo which was single axle and it seemed to bounce around quite a bit. I had a WDH but no sway bar on it. When I decided to buy my own, I got a 21' tandem axle and it tows way way better! What is crazy is I actually get better mpg with the 21' Starcraft which is heavier ~5000lbs. I was getting 14mpg with the Roo and now I average 16mpg with my current trailer. The only thing I can think of is the Roo seemed taller, so likely more wind resistance.