JayCo Popup Rebuild (Pictures)

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by DFire2, Jun 20, 2016.

1. ErinLeah

ErinLeah New Member

Your photos and work on your Jayco are fantastic! We just bought our first pup- a Jayco Eagle Qwest 10, 1999. I had to order a new canvas and we are cleaning the outside oxidation/muck off too. Thought I'd share my sources since the new tent was MUCH cheaper than I imagined- I called Jayco direct and they gave me a Jayco dealer near me- I ordered the new canvas and it was $470! I thought it would be closer to $1K. Since we live a few hours from the factory, they are letting me pick up the tent to waive the $100 freight fee. Picking up in a few days. Also, my dad was a commercial fisherman and his buddy just cleaned the bottom of his boat with this stuff called TR3 Deglazer and Resin. With spot tests by hand (pictured), we have been getting good results (the outside of our pop is rather grey and drippy looking) and heard if we used a buffer it would really get into the shell's texture. Anyhow, your photos are inspiring and I hope to repaint and reupholster soon as well!

Attached Files:

2. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

So last week I dropped the canvas off to the local upholstery shop (quoted $75-100) for repairs, mostly the bunk ends.

Got the phone call today that it's ready! I went to go pick it up, everything looked good, the new repair canvas is much thicker than the original which is GREAT! Bill: $142.40. Higher than the quote, but less than my max estimate of $150. So I started driving back out to my dad's where the camper is. Upon arriving I thought of the process of putting the canvas back on...then it hit me...I needed to recheck something.

Sure enough, a good portion of the repair wasn't done correctly. The bottom piece of the bunk ends had been sewn over with new canvas but the necessary hols/grommets for the bungee (to attach underneath) had been covered, completely. Took it back, showed the manager (whom I originally talked to), he saw it and apologized for the mistake. Now it's back at the shop sitting, awaiting repairs to the...repairs.

Oh joy...

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The good thing is that you noticed before spending an hour or two installing it.

4. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

I probably wouldn't have installed it for another month either...

5. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Was it an automotive upholstery shop or furniture? When and if I get ready to get a new canvas, I want to do it locally so I won't have to mail the canvas off.

6. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

They do about everything. Furniture, car seats, canvas, boat covers...

7. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

We have quite a few upholstery shops. There is one less than a mile from my house, so when the time comes, I'll check with them

DFire2 likes this.
  8. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

So just a SLIGHT update.

I got the re-repaired canvas back from the shop. unfortunately the manager and I both decided there's too many small fixes that need to be done to where the cost is going to exceed buying new. I'm currently $142 into repairs (sucky at best). I expected much more from an upholstery shop. Like I had a good idea in my head and what I thought would be done...not even close.

Below are pictures of the "repairs"...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see above the original and the patchwork. The manager said "we tried to stay within your budget". Funny thing is...I never gave him one. I asked him when I dropped the canvas off, what a quote would be ($75-100). And it gets finished to nearly double the lowest quoted price and IMO...half the work. I remember telling him the bungie will need to be replaced, to which he agreed. Heh, replacing must mean cutting out the rotten part and literally sewing a 12" piece side-by-side (not end-to-end, even) to the original. It was a cobble job. I told him that and he said that weaving a new bungie would have taken a while. My thought was give me a piece of wire and I'll show you how to do it...in 5min flat.

All in all, not impressed what-so-ever...

Here are the areas we agreed aren't worth fixing...
    [​IMG]

Anyways, onward to roof dimensions, I'm so glad I took actual measurements of the roof, a 1x10 12" board would have left me about 8" short.

Outer width
    [​IMG]

Outer Length
    [​IMG]

Inner Height
    [​IMG]

Outer Height
    [​IMG]

And me trying to get measurements for the rod location...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More pictures of the inside of the roof
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

So not much has happened, I'll get a new canvas in the spring, probably rebuild roof at same time, unless I find time this fall.

I did however get the camper on the road today for a short test run. Have first camping trip in two weeks.

[​IMG]

Zip ties only for test run (~4miles). The pin wouldn't fit all the way in, was probably bent/rusted inside. I'll just use a drill and smooth out the hole at a later time.

But test run went great. Lights all work, tires held, bearings seem ok (will be tested more thoroughly).

All in all, I'm excited for first trip!

10. Erik B

Erik B New Member

Hi, what a great thread. My wife and I are attempting to reno my parent's trailer, hopefully we can get anywhere nice a job as yours.

Did your trailer have a heater and fridge when you first got it? I am hesitant to even remove the bank of cabinets with the sink/fridge/heater, because there is so much wiring and pipes that I have no idea how to work with.

Are you an electrician by trade, or did you do research while completing the reno? I don't like where all of our old wiring panels and stuff are, but I am scared to attempt to dig that far into the unit.

Erik

11. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

I am not an electrician. But I did take a couple years of electronics training in high school. My dad also built most of his house, so I got some assistance on that front. But yes, I did quite a bit of research. Looked at many remodels and camper layouts to find something that I wanted. I HATED the original wiring, so I tore it all out. I installed more outlets than I planned, but glad I did. They are working great. You can never have to too many!

But into my update...

We are on our first camping trip, it's been very...eventful....

Our first night...ants.
    [​IMG]

Luckily we have great neighbors who let us borrow a 10-man tent for the first night.

Bombs, traps, and spray that next day.

But anyways pictures of our first camping trip!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our niece's came along...

[​IMG]

12. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Next year she'll be finished!

New canvas, roof, curtains, cushions.

13. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

The all important bug spray! Lots of people forget it until they are “reminded”, lol. I treat the camper the same way I do the house and carry any spray in the camping gear.

Related side note; the aerosol cans of ant spray will set off the CO2 alarm. When you’re in the midst of working on getting the hot water heater fired up at the campsite and the DW is killing ants it can spook you for a second. Learned that the hard way, lol.

14. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Active Member

Any updates DFire2?

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

DFire2 was last seen here in August 2018, so not likely to reply.

16. bookooc

bookooc New Member

I hate it when this happens.Seems like it is rare to see a finished project.

17. Bev1940

Bev1940 New Member

I bought a 1991 Jayco slide in truck camper the fridge, stove, cabinets and dinette cushions are in like new condition the side fold downs are good and the floor is solid,,,,,, HOWEVER there has been water getting into the ceiling from a broken seam in the front corner, I'm planning on repairing this from the inside and replacing the chipboard in the ceiling with water proof material of some kind. My objective today is to remove old silicone on an ouside seam and replace it with new stuff, just looking for the best way to do this. Any suggestions ?

18. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Sorry everyone. My plans to finish the camper are still active, but my wife and I had a slight setback to our reno plans...we bought a house this spring instead, lol.

I'm currently working on plans for the roof rebuild, looking at using 1x12 for the sides and building an inner support structure to house the recessed lighting and bike rack I hope to integrate. The current roof is just a 3/4 chipboard. Want to replace with 1/4" luan ceiling and 3/8 ply on the top with a 1x4 inner structure.

We shall see what happens...

19. starcraft

starcraft Member

How do you view the pictures with "Photobucket" stamped on them? They are so blurry.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  20. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

My photobucket account has been restricted as of late. I will see what I can do.

HappyTraveler likes this.