JayCo Popup Rebuild (Pictures)

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by DFire2, Jun 20, 2016.

1. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

So today took a different turn...decided to take off the popup canvas for cleaning...and wasn't that a process...

Found out I had a couple visitors in my camper, neither of which were welcome...

Wasps...
    [​IMG]

and ants...
    [​IMG]

As you can see though, the roof will most definitely be next year's project!
    Though not nearly as bad as some other's I've seen, but still needs entire new roof.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Someone's terrible cobble job...
    [​IMG]

from the outside...
    [​IMG]

Took the whole canvas off...
    [​IMG]

But while doing this, found out JayCo has a real inventive way off "securing" the canvas so it doesn't slide out...
    [​IMG]

A view of the camper from the outside...
    [​IMG]

All the storage space I have now ^_^
    [​IMG]

While taking the bungees off one bunk end, it broke. I wonder why...
    [​IMG]

But I have one major dilemma. This...
    [​IMG]

I have about a 3/4" gap between the top of my door and the bottom of the roof, weird because when I rebuilt the door, it was made to the same dimensions...grrr. So I cut and put a piece of wood in there for now (no pics)...

I'll have another post later today, time for work, like...NOW!

2. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Here's a picture of the front, which didn't overhang correctly...
    [​IMG]

With it fully down...
    [​IMG]

Some parts of the canvas, mostly where it sagged at the bunk ends, got some water damage. Luckily it only deteriorated the seam covers and not the sewn canvas underneath...
    [​IMG]

Hung the canvas out to dry...on saw horses...kinda ;)
    [​IMG]

I went ahead and put the canvas over the camper for now. This will help when I go to clean it as I'll have a hard surface to scrub against. I'm not trying to make this canvas look immaculate, I'll be buying a replacement in the spring :D
    [​IMG]

I would have started the cleaning, but I...uh...forgot to bring my cleaning supplies >.<

AlexVanEks likes this.
  3. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Today was just simple stuff like putting on the 2nd coat of poly for the counter tops (1st coat yesterday).
    [​IMG]

I have decided not to try and "fix" the canvas, as we will be buying a new replacement in the spring. However I would like to get started on roof designs...any built-in mods I should consider?

AlexVanEks likes this.
  4. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Just amazing. You spent a lot of time on this renovation. I know you'll enjoy camping as you live in your work. Very satisfying i'm sure. Keep up the good work!

DFire2 likes this.
  5. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Thanks! The interior is nearing completion! I used a power washer on the camper, sadly didn't do much for the sides. The top got a good cleaning, but kinda pointless seeming as I'm planning on building a new one next year. It's quite possible I might get the exterior paint done before winter sets in...possible, but would be a great jump start to next year's finish of the rebuild. :D

6. RollTide30

RollTide30 Member

Very nice Fire. I've been following your rebuild since I joined the portal. The woodworking has been great. I hope to start our interior remodel late winter/early spring and was looking at doing the same thing you did with the stained countertops. The remodel looks great.

7. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Just make sure you use a good sanded (or similar) plywood, preferably 3/4". (Be sure to check your plywood if it's a sanded veneer surface or not. If veneer, be careful not to sand too much as you'll literally sand off the veneer layer.) That way it won't take you forever to sand the wood down really well. I only used about a 150 grit sanding pad to do mine, sadly it did not get sanded evenly across, the poly coats really show that un-smoothness. So be sure to sand properly using various grits from 80 through 300 or so. ;)

8. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Ok, so today I got the counter tops screwed down, that was fun...NOT. 5 screws on the L piece, 4 on the other. Used 2" screws.

But the majority of work today was done on the outside. The below area was a quick patch job I did just to ensure no water would get to those areas. Well, it looks really ugly...
    [​IMG]

So I decided to change it, I went through all my scrap/spare wood leftover from the project and found a nice sized piece of 1/2" sanded ply! So I went to work on it.
    [​IMG]

I just eyeballed some corner points for drilling. Used a bigger bit as countersink, and drilled the rest with a smaller bit.
    [​IMG]

Sprayed some water seal on the wood, didn't intend to paint it, so I wanted to make sure water wouldn't cause it to bend/warp.
    [​IMG]

Well the piece is prepped, now it's time to tear off those plastic plates...
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the caulk took some of the wood off with it!

After I got all three plates off, sadly one piece of wood (inside the wall) didn't hold on, it fell...
    [​IMG]

I wanted to use the silicone caulk I bought to make a good seal, really good. So I decided to fill the holes with it, but I didn't exactly know where my board would cover, so I traced it with pencil.
    [​IMG]

And then to start the caulking...I couldn't fill the left hole, so I made a seal around it.
    [​IMG]

After screwing the new piece over the holes, I found my left over white spray paint from doing the roof vent!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I caulked around the wood edges as well. But this looks a whole lot better than that quick fix job.

Next up will most likely be the 120VAC to 12VDC wiring, but first I need to order the converter.

One last look at the difference...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

I like how you cut out the cabinet facing and then added the frame to the back.

10. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Thanks, I really liked how it came out! I drew all the cutouts in reverse from the backside so I wouldn't have pencil marks on the outside.

Mamie likes this.
  11. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Did you use 2x3's?

12. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

These are the original 2x2 camper wall studs.

13. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Thanks.

14. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

I built pretty much everything using 2x2 studs.

15. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

I'm hoping I don't have to rebuilt any walls, but I won't know until I remove the side panels. But after sitting in the cold where I couldn't even tell the heater was on, I need to put some sort of insulation in the walls. With insulated drapes and solar covers on the bunkends, maybe it will be able to retain some heat.

16. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

When the DW and I are cold camping in the pup we hang a heavy blanket across the center of the pup to hold the heat in the side we are sleeping in and run the furnace & MrBuddy heater.

17. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Once the panels are off the walls, it's really easy to apply a form of insulation. Obviously did it after you run new wiring, if you do.

18. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

"Cold camping" is probably an understatement where you are! The PO's told me not to use the furnace in my camper. I don't know what the problem is, but I definitely need to that checked out.

I bought new latches and will have to reinforce the wall to attach them. When I tried to plug the heaters into the outlets none of them worked, so I've got to figure that out. So I'll be getting inside those walls. What type of insulation did you use?

19. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

I personally didn't insulate my walls. I'm just saying it can be done quite easily.

20. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Being in Michigan, I'm surprised. Does y'alls summers get hot?