Jayco popup won’t lift

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by pauldel1, Oct 2, 2021.

1. pauldel1

pauldel1 New Member

Just new to camping and pop ups. Bought a used 2009 Jayco M-1206 popup trailer this spring and finally am taking it out. Set it up this past week in a parking lot; lowered it by crank and it wouldn’t go down the last inch. Pressed it down and continued to crank. Tried to raise it up; crank froze up. Can’t get it to move. Don’t want to force it.
    Help?

2. WestLakerCamper

WestLakerCamper New Member

This have a power list or manual? Going to guess a manual lift. For my camper fleetwood westlake, that used a whiffletree, everything says that if it hard to raise it is most likely the trust bearing, I would check the cable, pulls and bearing conditions, make sure they are clean and liberated where they should be. Also check the braking system on the lift to make sure it not stuck engaged.
    as for would not go down the last inch, check the canvas and other stuff in side and make sure it not binding the lift system and not taking up too much space. I if I have the pillow and blankets on the pull out bed, I cannot close the lost inch of my camper.

pauldel1 likes this.
  3. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

Double check you took the proper steps to secure the interior, the sink, the sofa etc. Something may have been missed.

pauldel1 likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

If you need Jaycos use an L&W lift system. There is a diagram floating in the WWW that could help you. I found with my old Jayco it was extremely sensitive to being level. It always caused me grief if I was even a little unlevel. Jayco's lift system is entirely inside the camper built behind access panels etc. In front of each bunk is a step which if you unscrew it leads to a small piece of the lift. Good luck. I got rid of my Jayco when my cable broke as I just didn't have the place to repair and got zero help from the RV shops.

pauldel1 and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. pauldel1

pauldel1 New Member

Thanks for all your help! I was able to recruit nine guys to manually lift the top, propped it open with 2x4s, and was able to access the winch (removing the couch). All new to me. Found the top couldn’t come down all the way because I had left something on the mattress. Cable and unwound and wrapped around the shaft in the wrong spot, got caught in the winch and needed to be freed. All is well and I will be super careful in the future.
    Thanks again for the help!

bobinfleet and Grandpa Don like this.
  6. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

Thank you for letting us know.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

@pauldel1 excellent it was a fairly easy fix for you. Sometimes after closing up the camper I give the crank a single turn in the up direction to help keep the cables tight. To hopefully prevent the cables from jumping track.

pauldel1 likes this.
  8. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

When you close the Jayco camper, don't crank it down too far and after latching, the crank should be turned for a few clicks to place light tension on the cable so that everything remains in place while towing. After you crank the camper down a few times, you will get a good feel for how far you have to crank once the roof is down on its own for you to squish the corners down to latch them. If maintained properly, the Jayco lift system lasts for years being totaling inside.

pauldel1 likes this.