Jayco with main cable on the wrong side of the winch

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by StuckinWi, Jun 25, 2019.

1. StuckinWi

StuckinWi New Member

Greetings, I have a 2003 Jayco 1207 with a big issue. The very first time I raised the roof, the main cable wound up on the wrong side of the gears and now I can’t lower it. When you try, the winch tube just loosens. The cable is really tight so I am worried what will happen if I have to cut it. What other things can I do? I’ve been searching the web for days, but haven’t seen a solution for this. Thanks!
    8695047C-0F61-4B45-8374-365E0EF3ADEF.jpeg

2. Fless

Fless Active Member

Can you support the roof with 2x4s on all four corners, then remove the winch mounting bolts to take the pressure off? You'd have to be very careful to get the roof supported well.

1380ken and J Starsky like this.
  3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Yes, that's a tough one. I don't have one, but worked on stuff like it. Agree with supporting the roof. Start with someone back turning the handle while you pull up on the cable by hand. If it wants to follow the packed cable around, take a good rope and go under the cable and back up to a 2x4 and tie it off to the other end of the rope. Place the 2x4 end on the 3/4" plywood above the winch and pull up on the other end of the 2x4 piece. As the cable comes off and you run out of stroke with the 2x4, lower the 2x4, add a piece of wood under the rope, and pry up with the 2x4 again while back turning the handle. Hope this makes sense.

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Support the roof on 2x4s as above and then find the thrust plate, under the step along the same wall as the winch. You can disassemble the cables here, just mark everything so the that you can put them back in the same order and mark the threads on any nuts you loosen so that you can get them back close to the same adjustment.

[​IMG]

Rachel Ortiz likes this.
  5. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Follow the directions above to unload the main cable (roof supported). Get the main cable off the winch and install a new one to the winch and to the thrust plate. The only way that this could have happened is that the cable was completely unloaded and came off the winch drum. Even when the camper is down all the way, you should supply slight tension to the cable system.

Attached Files:

6. StuckinWi

StuckinWi New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I thought about disconnecting the four cables to the thrust plate. When I loosen those bolts, will the post cable retract with a lot of force? Any risks?

7. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

There will be some rebound depending on how tightly the cables are stretched, I don't think enough to be dangerous, but then what do I know. You can mitigate by adding slack to the system. One way to do this would be to cut the 2x4s an inch too long and pushing the roof higher when you place them, only you can tell if this is possible. Back off all of the nuts to the end of the eyebolts before actually removing them.

During reassembly make sure that all cables are correctly in the several pulleys in the pup.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  8. cabranch47

cabranch47 Member

I would also inspect the cable carefully for any damage. Some of the stands might have been cut. If there is any damage I would replace the cable.

9. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Once the roof is supported, just cut the main cable instead of removing each of the eyebolts from the thrust plate. If the supports are as high, or ideally slightly higher than the roof height, there will be little to no tension on the cable system and minimal retraction. As noted, inspection of each individual pulley system (and lubing) should give you years of good service once fixed.

10. StuckinWi

StuckinWi New Member

Sorry for the delay. Just wanted to say thanks for the all the suggestions. Following your advice I was able to get it repaired on my own. After cutting the cable, I did buy a new official cable rather than making one. The only tricky thing left was getting the cable it bolted to the winch, but I got it done.

11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Great.
    I would just add ... the plate that the cables go to ........ all the cables should be free to swivel ..... otherwise they start to twist together.

12. Rachel Ortiz

Rachel Ortiz New Member

I have the exact same problem with my 2010 Starcraft. We are first time PUP owners and only moderately handy. We’d like to avoid cutting and replacing the main cable. Any other advice or opinions on attempting to unhook the cables from the thrust plate, assuming we can create enough slack to relieve the tension?

Will be attempting this rescue tonight. Thanks in advance for the thoughts and apologies if I should have started a new thread. Wasn’t sure if the protocol.

Attached Files:

13. WrkrBee

See post #3. Don't know if StuckinWI tried to work the cable out with 2x4 assist or not.

14. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Once your roof is supported, you should be able to unwind the cable off the wrong side of the winch. It may then be as simple as winding it up on the correct side. I can't stress enough the importance of always having some tension on the cable system after the roof is lowered and latched. It keeps everything in place. Three clicks up is what we use.

Rachel Ortiz likes this.
  15. Rachel Ortiz

Rachel Ortiz New Member

Thank you both. I was not successful in loosening the bolts on the thrust plate so I’ll have to try something else. Our problem is compounded by the fact that this happened when my husband partially opened the camper in our carport in preparation for our trip this weekend (now canceled), so we can’t extend the rear bunk and I’m limited to the crawl space in the box. No exterior access to the winch. We may try buying some longer 2x4s to further raise the roof and see if that puts enough slack on the main cable to manually unwind.

We will definitely make a practice of turning 3 clicks after closing up. I guess everything is a learning experience.

16. Rachel Ortiz

Rachel Ortiz New Member

As a newbie, I’d love a second opinion on whether this is our only problem. I attached a photo of the left and right side lifts on the rear bunk. Do the pulleys for the smaller cables look to be in order? This is with slack from the 2x4s but to me they look like they’re oddly angled.

Attached Files:

17. WrkrBee

I don't have a setup like this, but it looks like the pulleys are staggered for cable clearance. In the picture on the right, four cables head to the same area and two bear off to the right, I assume headed to the front lifts.

Rachel Ortiz likes this.
  18. Rachel Ortiz

Rachel Ortiz New Member

Update: I was able to disconnect the smaller cables from the anchor plate with the roof supported by 2x4s secured to the posts with zipline. After getting a better view of the winch, I saw that the main cable was pulled through two gears and badly torn (photo attached). We'll be making phone calls to identify the lift system and order a replacement cable. Crossing our fingers that there is no other damage.

In the meantime, we'll be using staggered 2x4s to lower the roof enough to remove the camper from the carport so that we can raise it back up and retract the bunks. Our plan then is to remove enough cabinetry to view the full pulley system and identify any other potential issues before replacing the main cable. Look for me on future posts as we'll inevitably need more guidance! Thanks a ton to the original poster and all the helpful comments. We would have been completely lost without this thread. After cancelling this weekend's trip we were able to snag a campsite for New Years, so that is our new target deadline. Happy camping everyone!

Attached Files:

19. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Your pulleys are correct. If you've released the tension, just cut the main cable.