Jealous of all the cool east coast rallys. What's on the west coast?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by davekro, Oct 10, 2019.

1. davekro

davekro Active Member

My wife and I are new to pup camping. I really like the feeling of community on this site. Just reading about the annual Sewer rally, it seems amazing. Wondering what (maybe smaller) ones might occur on the west coast. We are in the SF Bay Area and I'd love to connect with a few other community pup folks for some future trips next season. I do recall reading of a trip south of us but I think not quite to So. Cal. Seems to be some get togethers in the South West from time to time. We'd love to plan a Grand Canyon road trip, maybe next season.

We only have two trips under our belt so far. Most of the fixes are done to our NTU pup, but still more before any long trips. :eek:)

1380ken likes this.
  2. myride

myride Well-Known Member

I know up here in western Canada there are none unfortunately....tried to gage interest several years back with little response.

3. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Hey Dave, welcome from So Cal.

We do tend to have 3 to 4 gatherings but a bit south from your location. I believe the furthest North we have done a rally with the So Cal group has been towards Santa Barbara and into the souther area of the Sequoia National Forest (an annual rally)

We also seam to have a lot more activity on the So Cal Pop Up Facebook group if your interested.

4. davekro

davekro Active Member

Mo, Thanks for the info. SNF is a 5 1/2 hours drive for us. That is doable for a long weekend definitely. I see 2018 & 2019 it was over a 9 day window around 4th of July. Curious, do most stay for an extended pre or post week end? Many stay most of the 9 day window?

Are there dates set for 2020 yet? About how many attend? We would like to put this trip on our calendar for 2020! To quote, well, you...
    Yoda, do... there is no try.jpeg

It looks amazing. And even a (rock) water slide? Woo Hoo!

I do have a Facebook account, but literally never use it. Do you happen to recall if there are/ were and nor. cal. folks at the last two trips?

rescamilla likes this.
  5. davekro

davekro Active Member

Is there a way to search this site for members in and around an area (like SF Bay Area/ central calif. for us)
    I'd be curious of members in our area and camping destinations that you go to. Might be fun to connect with another member or two (micro rallye ;o) for a trip or two if dates can align. :)

6. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Dave, The past couple years the dates have extended and its been great. It started out as my in-laws family trip and I ended up opening it to this forum. Seams like we have 5 or 6 regulars every year and others that join here and there and have had as many as 12 or 13 campers join. Some have come from as far as Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Diego, and a couple from around Sacramento area. We even had one from Washington state that was on a road trip on the very first rally in 2016.

Date wise for 2020, its always around the 4th of July. Since its on a Sat next year, we might go up there from the weekend before and stay the whole week again. Need to confirm with the fam but you come and go as your schedule allows.

There are many hikes/mountain biking trails, small creek fishing, rock slides, etc. I'm hoping to be in the same location as last year but it will all depend on closures and restrictions at that time since it is free dispersed camping.

7. davekro

davekro Active Member

So at this early point you are tentatively considering ≈Sat. 6/26 thru ≈ Sun. 7/5 (to be determined). Good to know. What is your sense of when you and the extended family might talk about and plan the trip date(s)? My wife 'just' finished her first year at a new job, so may be low on the totem pole for highly desired vacations times... unless she is first to ask for them maybe. ;)

How does the space availability work? Is it a big open area/ group campground that you reserve that can accommodate 'x' number of campers, or some other arrangement. Once you and your family pick the dates and portal campers sign up/ let you know when they will be there, is there a formal or informal reservation for each camper? I know, too many questions. I'm already excited... for next year! ;)

"Free Dispersed Camping (no facilities)" Does this mean no bathrooms or even outhouses?

8. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Usually, but it not a big deal. There are lots of toilet options available.

9. davekro

davekro Active Member

I had never heard of "Dispersed Camping (no facilities)" before. We have only been to (non hook up) parks w/ at least pit toilets. When shopping for Pups to consider, we were dismayed that going above a 10' box seemed to mean there was a section (we considered wasted space) where a porta-potty or potty/ shower floor combo was located, which we 'thought' we wanted to avoid. Well, maybe this is (another ;o) good excuse to consider upgrading from $1,000 10' starter pup to a 12' w/ slider and porta-potty. ;)
    I'm frugal, so I have to make up reasons to 'invest in more fun stuff'.
    I am always learning from this site! Thank you all.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

You could also take the riens and start a rally for your area.. it might be a hit right off the bat or take a few years to grow.. What has now become the Ontario Summer Rally started off real slow.. with I think 3 campers out for a weekend of fun, this last one maybe two years before it died for a few years.. Then another member picked a park and date and it took off with 7 families the first year and 15 the next.. Since its reincarnation the rally has seen its numbers up and down, I suspect next year will be a low year for attendance due to when our July holiday falls.

11. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Hey Dave, tentatively yes. Maybe even Thur 6/25 to Sun 7/5 and make it another 10 day outing for us. I like to get out there early to claim our spot ;)

As far as space availability, the area is considered a designated camping area, no sites, no reservation, no cell phone signal... just park it within 1 cars length along the entry road or in a clearing under the trees. See if these Google Maps link work, its where we were at the past 3 years. Its all the same area but 2 different spots.

2017 & 2019 Rally location

2018 Rally Location

There is no water and no bathrooms there but water is usually available at the closest campground (about 15 minutes drive) and an outhouse is about 3 miles away if needed but a small Thetford port-a-potty in a shower tent is an option. From this location, there is a small store with ice and such about 20 miles away (40 minutes) so some food planning is necessary.

12. davekro

davekro Active Member

Excellent info Mo, thank you. I will Talk to the DW about her vacation planning. How far away, drive or hike, from these two locations are:
    The creek/river with rock slide?
    The giant sequoia tree(s).

13. davekro

davekro Active Member

We might just put the word out on the sight the next trip we plan, soon I hope. We really like Wakalu Hep Yo campground on Hwy 4, just past Arnold, CA.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sta...a.gov/recarea/stanislaus/recarea/?recid=14863

I’ll probably post a thread soon for camping here for a Fri-Sun to go in the next three weeks or so.If one or two Pup folks can make it cool.

14. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Rock slides from camp are about a 12 miles drive and about a 1 mile hike (good time to fill up on water and dump trash at the campground as we drive by)

For the Giant Sequoias there is the Freeman Creek Trail that ends across the road. Hiking this trail about 1 mile in will put you into one of the grove and at President George Bush Tree where they are scattered around. The other well know "Trail of 100 Giants" is about a 1 hour drive and is more populated with these giants.

davekro likes this.
  15. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

I'm in Clovis and have hooked up with the SoCal group once. There was another one planned but Moe "decided" to redo his laundry room plumbing so I frolicked around Death Valley myself.

They've come as far north as Montana de Oro just south of Moro Bay.

I went full tilt on my pup. Figured if I was paying the money I'm going for it (wet bath and it had to have a real oven!)

I did the North Rim and Zion this year. "Disperse camped" in the Kaibab NF (south of Jacob Lake, AZ). Day tripped up to Zion (2hrs, 98 miles) and came in the East entrance.

rescamilla likes this.
  16. davekro

davekro Active Member

Thanks for checking in. Clovis... so Sequia NP is almost in your back yard. ;)
    Great trips you have there. I recall going thru Zion on a motorcycle trip many decades ago. It was awe inspiring!

17. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

And I've never been that I know of. I almost went to the rally the last couple years but 2018 I was on my way back from Bryce Canyon and Grand Staircase. I'm thinking next year I should make it as my big trip won't be until August. It's actually like a 3.5 hr drive as I have to go down to Porterville.

18. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Hey, it wasn't my choosing. I blame those copper eating ground gremlins ;)

FARfetched and BillyMc like this.
  19. rescamilla

rescamilla New Member

Hey Davekro, since your talking about the 4th of July, just thought I'd throw it out there but one of our regular camp grounds is Morro Dunes out of Morro Bay CA (Central Coast). If you can get a spot at this camp ground (need to reserve up to a year in advance for the 4th), and if it's not foggy....... across the street from the camp site is the beach. From the dunes you can watch the Morro Bay firework show which is right off the pier. But what is really cool is that you can watch the firework shows from Pismo Beach all the way up north to Estero Bay. On a clear night it is spectacular! Getting in the grounds is half the battle, the other is the fog.

20. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

You should check with the ranger station... Large swaths of that area have been under closure orders for a while due to "resource damage". Search for Forest Closure Order 0513-19-07.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd623342.pdf
    Although, if you were there in July of 2019, you are probably good.