Jeepmama and I are heading to the darkside

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Jeepin Dad, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Jeepin Dad

Jeepin Dad New Member

After our Fathers day camping trip Wendy and I started talking about needing a bigger camper. When we bought our Taos the boys were 4 and 6 they are now two years older and a lot bigger and our 8' pup was getting really tight. I also was getting lots of complaints every time they had to climb the hill at the campground to go to the bathroom. So today we put a deposit on a 2008 FunFinder X240. It has everything we were looking for, it is not too big, has a bathroom, a queen bed for us, bunks for the boys and plenty of storage. Now we just need to buy a TV to get it home because I don't think my Wrangler would do a very good job, so we will be looking to trade Wendy's minivan for a full size truck, we will be looking at some Chevy Avalanches this week.

Some pics of our new to us TT

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The dealer posted this video
    USED 2008 Cruiser RV Fun Finder X 240 Travel Trailer from Keystone RV Center!

2. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

*sniff, *sniff... I am going to miss my Honda Ody [:(] I'll also miss out tent screens and the big views. But the ease of packing and unpacking, along with that bathroom will make up for it.

And that hill on the last camping trip was really, REALLY steep!

3. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I like it! [:D]
    Fair warning - it's not built like a house, that kid needs to play monkey boy outside [:O]

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

looking good ... You'll love the bathroom... The very first time @ 3am when DW doesn't have to wake up, you'll wonder why you didn't consider a TT sooner ...

5. pmikeyd

pmikeyd New Member

Very nice! We considered purchasing a Fun Finder X (we like the decor and options) before we got our PUP.

6. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Nice looking camper and congrats

7. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

congrats. Our Westlake has a potty in it for that reason. The wife and 2 daughters us it for middle of the night trips.

8. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Looks really nice. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

9. Jeepin Dad

Jeepin Dad New Member

We really liked this floor plan and think it will meet our needs really well. Now we just need to find a TV, I think we are going to check out a Chevy Avalanche 2500 at a local dealership later today.

10. Morgan23

Morgan23 Member

Wow, congrats! Looks like an awesome camper....do you think you'll camp more because it's easier to pack/unpack???

Dh and I are starting to dream about a TT or HTT to replace our PUP. We're in a similar situation as you and Jeepmama: we tow our PUP with my Ody minivan, but our kids are ~11 and 8 and they're starting to outgrow the bunkend/dinette. Plus I'm dreaming of a 'real' potty and shower....and the ability to leave more stuff packed into the trailer. We want to do a 2-3 week trip next summer and I dunno if I'm up for that with our PUP. Using the PUP makes it difficult to do overnighters!

11. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

Looks good, congrats on the purchase.

12. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Thanks! It seemed like when we moved from the tent to the popup we camped earlier and later in the season. I think this year, we were impacted more by Little League, TV problems and so we haven't gotten out as much.

I am hoping we'll be able to camp more. I know that having the ability to store more things in the TT is going to make a huge difference in our prep time. My husband spends 1/2 the day loading the popup and securing things into the roof rack on the Jeep. Then we drive to the camp ground and he works really hard to get everything set up. I think now, most of those things will stay in the camper and we'll be able to load food & clothes, hitch up and go! I also think we'll have it easier with unpacking when we come home from camping.

I am on my way to the dealership to turn in my Ody on the ntu TV... so sad to see it go, I love that van!

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I see you bought the 2500 Avalanche , should be a solid tv for the trailer.. [;)] [:D]

14. Morgan23

Morgan23 Member

^^exactly what we are thinking!!! We spend a lot of time prepping for trips...now it's not nearly the amount of time we used to take when tent camping, but it's still about an hour or so before leaving, then 45min or so when we get home. And of course set up at the campsite is ~30min depending on how much stuff we actually unpack.

Is the Avalanche your new TV? We are thinking of buying an older V8 crewcab and using it as a third vehicle/mostly for towing since it would probably get crappy MPG as a daily driver. Plus I love my Ody and it's still in such great condition that I can't imagine trading it in!

15. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

The thing for us with packing is that we never outfitted the Ody for towing. We always towed with the Jeep. We loved taking the Wrangler on camping trips the kids love riding around the camp grounds and surrounding areas topless and doorless. Storage and packing it all up was always very time consuming. Now a lot of those things will live in the TT and we'll be grabbing food and clothes and off we go!

For now, the Avalanche will be my DD and the new TV. It is a 3/4 ton with a 8.1L V8 - I think the tow capability is 10,000 lbs or something like that??? The new TT should come in around 6,000 lbs, so we should have no difficulties with towing over the mountains in PA, Adirondaks in NY etc. [:D] We are trying to avoid any payments so both the new TT and TV are being paid for with cash! We have a 3rd vehicle, a Jeep Cherokee that needs an engine replaced(replacement engine sitting in our garage!) and some other work. My husband just doesn't have the time to get to it... It is my hope that within the next 6 months or so, I might be able to pick up a newer Accord or even a Civic 4 door to use dropping of the boys at school and heading to the grocery store. I have been a stay at home Mom for the past 8 years, I worked at the school this past year when my youngest entered Kindergarten. I don't know what I might do for a job in the fall??? We have at least one child getting braces in the next 6 months - yikes! I hear from my friends that those can be as much as a car payment every month! [:O]

16. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

Nice L@@king camper... You will love it.. All the time you will save, loading, setting up and tearing down... WOW .. Getting out earlier and staying later in the year.. We started in tents. went to pups, then to Hytt and now are on our 2 and last TT... Have a great time... [:)C]

17. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Congratulations. Will you tow a Jeep behind the TT? [8D]

18. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Congrats on the new camper and tow vehicle.

Sharon

19. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

SHUSH!!! Don't give my husband any crazy ideas!

20. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

[LOL] Is that tandem? or triple tow? [8D] Love your new Rig.