Jellystone At Mammoth Cave?

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by JbirdsChick, Aug 6, 2012.

1. JbirdsChick

JbirdsChick One Big Bird, his Chick, and 2 Hatchlings

Anyone have any experience here? [2C]

We are going here soon. Just wanted some opinions.

2. fishinfreak

fishinfreak me41 DW34 DD7 DD5

JbirdsChick, we went there last year (pre-popup) with a tent intending to camp with water and electric. When we arrived we found the sites to be too close together with not much shade so we found the best spot in the campground which was primitive but cheaper [;)] and had a great time. Kids had a blast. They have a nice pool and a seperate waterslide that is included in camping fee. My 7 yr old loved it! Lots of stuff going on throughout the day for kids. Have 2 dd (then 5and7) they really remember and still talk about that trip more than any weve taken. I recommend it but best I can remember theres not much privacy.

3. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

The park campground is very nice and much cheaper. The sites are wooded and have lots of privacy, and there are campground programs in the evening as well.

4. 1951 bear

1951 bear Active Member

just got back from Jellysone this weekend. Sights are close, but deep. Bath houses old but clean and well kept. Lots of kid friendly activities and attractions to keep those younger folks occupied. Grandsoon enjoyed the pool and the water slide....good bang for the buck if it's entertainment you're looking for.
    On the quiet side, Mamoth Cave National Park campground is dry camping at it's finest. Good shade, nice sites, conviently located potties and showers at the stre outside the campground. Cave tours ect. are always enjoyable.

5. JbirdsChick

JbirdsChick One Big Bird, his Chick, and 2 Hatchlings

Had a blast! Kids loved the playground and the activities. Pool was nice and 11 yr old loved the 300 ft slide. Bath houses were clean and site was well maintained. Staff was consistently around and available.

[​IMG]

Jbird's Chick

6. RubberSoul

RubberSoul New Member

This campground has a lot of fun activities for tweens and younger kids. It's clean and well kept. It's also close to Dinosaur World, which can be loads of fun. We actually have reservations to go back next week.

7. RubberSoul

RubberSoul New Member

So we camped at Jellystone for the second time from July 1st through the 4th. The campground had a lot of activities scheduled such as hay rides, candy bar bingo, Cheetos head, shaving cream whiffle ball, and water balloon wars.

There was an all you can eat waffle breakfast the first day for $4.00 adults/$2.00 kids, which was a bit of a mess. It was on the activity schedule for the day, but when we, among a lot of others showed up for it, the workers said it was a typo and there would not be a waffle breakfast. This was going to be an issue for us as all the grocery stores close in Cave City by 7:00 pm, and we had not been able to go out the previous night after arriving to the campground to buy groceries for breakfast. After numerous complaints, the workers decided to go ahead and make the waffles, roughly 30 minutes later.

The CG has the largest jumping pillow I've seen, a nice pond in which to fish, a nice pool and waterside that extends down a long hillside, and a very nice playground. They also have a nice field that you can throw frisbees on. There was also a full size basketball court.

Most of the amenities, including the camp store, are located at the top of a hill while the campsites are at the bottom. We had to push our bikes up, but we could ride back down.

The first night we were there and the next morning, the bathrooms were dirty. After that, they were acceptable. I tried both bath houses; half the sinks and Hal the commodes at both bath houses were out of order. The CG is well lit at night, although I didn't see any security.

On July 3rd, the CG had an amazing fireworks display. It was comparable to what the City of Louisville did! It lasted about 30 minutes. Prior to that, they featured a Beatles cover band, Dear Prudence, which was quite good. The was also a golf cart decorating contest and a parade.

We are definitely going back next year for the same dates.

8. rdmullins

rdmullins Member

We just got back from a weekend at Jellystone! Our kids loved it; despite the cold weather there were a lot of activities for them. I'd imagine in warmer weather when all the water facilities are up and running it's even more fun. They did swim anyhow despite the cold - the pool is heated.

The spots are pretty big and relatively level. We were able to pull through so setup was a breeze. Word of advice - there seemed to be some variation as to how far the utility hookups were from the pads, so you should check that before you unhitch. I ended up about six inches from having water and my parents (who pulled their pup and joined us) were just out of reach of plugging in their overhead central heat, which has its own power line that's shorter than their main supply line. Neither of those are deal-breakers obviously; if I had desperately wanted running water I could have popped my camper down and repositioned it further over. And Dad could have bought an extension cord if he'd needed it, but they just ran their backup space heater instead.

It's a pretty big campground but pleasant, lots of families with kids so our girls got to play quite a bit. The bathhouse and laundry were nice and centrally located.

Some folks were definitely driving faster than the posted 5MPH speed limit. I heard periodic PA announcements regarding other safety things and I'm sure they would have addressed the speeding if I had complained, but I did not.

The waffle breakfast was pleasant and it's a good-sized waffle for $4 ($2 for kiddos). And they had a fire going in the lodge so it was nice to sit near that and eat our waffles on a cold morning.

This was our first Jellystone experience but we're looking forward to more!