Jellystone Millbrook (Chicago) - no longer accepting popups or tents!

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by CamperChrissy, Feb 22, 2019.

1. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Yesterday I was shocked to learn from my phone call to Jellystone that the new owners have decided they are not accepting popups or tent campers! Wha??????

I've heard of this happening in more fancy or snow-bird type areas, but this is your average just-outside-the-suburbs private campground for families. I was shocked! I'm pretty disappointed because it is so close to my house, it makes an easy weekend for us. I was willing to pay their high prices for the convenience. And they have the pool & playground & stuff my kids like.

So now I guess I need to find a new campground for our first trip of the year : (

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have a feeling that they just might change their mind, could be a lot of people will go elsewhere including some non-PUP campers. We have a subway that decided not to make sandwiches only salads, they changed their mind after about 2 weeks, seems that even the salad lovers decided this was unfair.
    Meanwhile I would check into other CG that are not so prejudiced against PUPS

3. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Just because they have the money to buy a business does not mean they have the smarts to run a business. Popups hold lots of kids=customers. Yikes!

4. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Interesting - as this is a family orientated chain - are they keeping it a Jellystone or dropping the franchise?

5. CamperChrissy

Looks like they are keeping it Jellystone. I also learned that last fall they made all the seasonal campers leave. Normally the campground is open year-round (but water & sewer shut off over the winter) and the seasonals can stay for an entire calendar year, not just the summer camping season. I wonder how many will come back and how many will use this as an opportunity to find a new campground. Will be interesting to watch how this plays out!

6. CamperChrissy

So you were right @nineoaks2004 ! Learned from a friend who's BIL has a seasonal there that they have already changed their mind and are now allowing PUPs and tents again. I wonder if the Jellystone brand told them they had too. I've never heard of a Jellystone that had that kind of restriction since they are family-oriented campgrounds. LOL!

7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sounds like they are not to bright!!! Sounds like Headquarters got wind of it and called the new owners of the campground to follow their rules or loose the franchise!!!

myride likes this.