Jerk honking at me while I'm wating for my disabled husband

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by BarbaraFaith, May 29, 2013.

1. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

It rained pretty much all last weekend, so DH & I went to Wally World about noon on Saturday. DH has limited mobility and walks with a cane. In big box stores, DH uses the electric scooters provided by the store. So after we were done shopping, DH had all of our purchases in the basket of his scooter, and rode out to the TV which was parked in a handicapped spot near the exit door. I offered to run the scooter back to the store, but DH did so. I told him I would pull the TV up to the door to meet him. So I'm sitting in my Jeep, by the door (not blocking the walk way) and this guy pulls up behind me, and starts honking his horn at me. He could have pulled around me if he needed to, but continued to stay there and honk his horn. Out comes DH who is 6'4'' and weighs in at about 300 lbs. The guy in the car behind me, throws his car in reverse, and drives as fast as you can to the very last parking row. DH has never been in a fight or confrontation in his life, all he has to do is stand up and his height &size is enough to shut anyone up or have them back down.

2. saratogaowner

saratogaowner New Member

it is usually best to let ignorant people be ignorant give them enough rope they will hang them selves worst thing to do is stoop down to there level giving bad behavior attention may encourage more or worse behavior
    I'm very sorry you had to deal with this ignorant fool and I hope it does not stop you from visiting your local walmart n the near future hopefully karma bites that fool in the !#@.

3. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

It would take more than that to keep me away from Wally World. That is my happy place.

4. CalKat

CalKat Member

I've always called this the "Bullfrog" Effect. I've known men like your DH, and just a little standing tall and puffing up like a bullfrog is enough to thwart these kind of guys.

5. Tennif Shoe

Tennif Shoe New Member

Put the Jeep in reverse and start backing up

6. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

If it was just for a minute, that would be okay with me. But, I hate it when people park there for 30 minutes or so at a time! That guy probably thought that you were going to be parked there a long time. I have actually seen cars parked up front blocking the cross walk in front of the door for over 30 minutes. That is just another reason to hate Wally World.

But again, I have picked up my non-disabled wife at the door when it was raining..not a big deal.

7. rawlus

rawlus New Member

It seems parking and idling in the fire lane, in front of the store, impeding the normal flow of traffic is pretty commonplace now at Walmart, grocery stores, etc. I see this dozens of times per day, and depending on the day of week, you will see multiples lined up doing the same thing creating a running vehicle barricade in front of the store.

I'm not really sure how people managed to get by before all this special behavior started but it seems incredibly prevalent now, handicap plates or not.

And while I realize some have true handicaps, most often what I see are not handicapped people using this practice but normal everyday people.

Don't even get me started in the HC spots and who is really parking in them (non-handicapped relatives or others with access to a placard) - reminds me of workers comp scams.

8. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

I am with rawlus. There are a lot of normal able bodied people that will park out front of the walmart/ postoffice/ local take out resturants/ ect rather then find a parking spot and walk 50ft.

9. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

My spouse has MS and is in the scooter whenever we go somewhere. Some people are just ignorant.

When there is no scooter she is in the manual chair pushed by me. During the Christmas season it is not uncommon to me to take someone out at the shins for cutting in front of me. My response is "its not easy to stop a 300 pound person when you cut in front of us"

They will never learn :(

Jerry in MA

10. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

That because people now days are becoming more and more LAZY.
    Now in op case I can understand, however I see people stop in the middle of the road blocking traffic both ways and not have a car in the world. This also cause a saftey issue because if someone like the a wad who took off fast doesn't see the mom with here kids walking in front of the person parked they can get hit all because this guy was in a rush.

11. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

It's just as you said, "Jerk"! And jerks honking the horn as soon as the traffic light changes to green. Smmh! When I encounter jerks, I say to myself: "Blow your nose, you'll get more out of it". Pay them no mind. Do what you are doing and don't let those jerks change it! They're the ones stressing, not you. :)

Campit

12. zjrog

zjrog Member

I've not always been the nice guy I am today. Only took three trips through anger management... For the record, I'm only 50, retired Navy, had a knee replacement 30 months ago and broke my back 21 months ago, 2 rods and 10 screws later and I am doing pretty good. Most days.

I find these sort of small minded people everywhere. They all seem to be bent out of shape at something and I'm the convenient target. Attitudes change when I get of the Jeep. I'm 6'3", almost 300#, prefer to keep a scruffy beard and longish hair. I've had people bother me about parking in the HC spots, I do have a placard (since my back injury)... When I have a bad day, I do use the HC spots, Good days, I don't. If I have my wife, generally I use a HC spot (she has her own placard too). But I digress. My adult daughter sometimes calls me "Hagrid" (from harry Potter).

I haven't been in a fight in years, and probably would crumple if hit in the right spot these days. On the other hand, I've been wondering if my artificial knee would hurt someone's chin worse than my original equipment knee. ;) My size tends to defuse most situations. ANd I DO have a really good mean face. Life is too darned short to be so bent out of shape and petty. They just haven't figured it out yet.

My favorite was a road rage guy that followed me to 7/11. Stood at my door and yelled and screamed, and didn't notice the 3 cops standing and watching everything. I know I did nothing wrong, but apologized anyway, which really set him off, demanding I get out of my car. I obliged. He backed up and noticed the cops. He happened to have 2 warrants outstanding... He was cuffed and stuffed and whisked away... Cops thought for certain I was going to beat the guy down (They know me...). Karma will get you sooner or later. I doubt I've done enough good to offset all the bad I did when I was young, but I'm still working on it...

Maycat likes this.
  13. Loraura

Loraura New Member

Not saying he's right or wrong, or you're right or wrong, but one way you can avoid this in the future, is to wait further back away from the doors and crosswalk until DH is on the curb, then swing by and pick him up. This way it's obvious to someone pulling up behind you that you are only there to let DH get in the car and will be moving along shortly.

You can think of it like doing something nice for someone who is clearly having a bad day, and would surely just leave in a worse mood after being a jerk to you. I promise; the chances of you leaving with a smile on your face and a good feeling inside will increase, and you likely won't have to leave fuming about a jerk who's horn-happy.

14. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I have a handicapped placard. Because of my heart I can't walk very far without getting winded. I have had people give me dirty looks when I park in a HP space but so far I haven't had anyone say anything.

Not everyone has a visible handicap and some people assume that because they can't see the problem that person MUST be scamming the system or using one belonging to someone else.

15. Twitch22

Twitch22 73 N6DDY

I agree with this. I deal with it as well. I have had knee surgery and it didn't fix the problem or heal correctly. The doctor has now told me that I am permanently disabled due to this knee. I have good days and I have bad days. But because I am classified permanently disabled I have a placard and a lot of people just don't buy it.

As far as the "jerk" of a driver, I don't think anything warrants that kind of rude behavior and I feel it was absolutely uncalled for. Now that being said, I think we all need to remember that the curb along the front of stores is almost always a fire lane. There is no parking or standing in a fire lane, even for a couple minutes. Now I do understand and appreciate people who pick up loved ones that have limited mobility, but that doesn't change the law.

Again, I don't think any of this warranted what this person did and how he acted. Just being a devil's advocate here.

16. CalKat

CalKat Member

If everyone was honest, I'd agree. Occasionally I need to go into the city (San Francisco) and an ordinance there allows unlimited free street parking for anyone with a handicap placard. Otherwise parking can be very expensive. I paid $30 for three hours the other day. The streets are lined with cars displaying handicap placards. It is well known that as many as half are breaking the law in one way or the other, wether using an unauthorized placard or a card acquired by fraudulent methods. It is very hard to enforce, and the thought of changing the law in any way, like actualling charging a parking fee for handicap, brings gails of howls from that community of abusive behavior towards the truly handicapped. So, yeah, I do look at some of these people with a bit of skepticism. You can blame the slackers and the cheats for that, the ones who abuse it.

17. Twitch22

Twitch22 73 N6DDY

CalKat- I absolutely understand where you are coming from with that. My brother has been handicapped for over 20 years and I used to see it and get really upset about things like that because of him. I honestly try not to fault someone that thinks I may not be "truly" handicapped because I do know there are a lot of scammers out there. I have been challenge many times about my parking in a handicapped spot. I just politely tell them to call the cops and have them run my placard number and if the officer has any questions about it then he knows how to get a hold of me.

You know, I really miss the days when integrity actually meant something to a person. Now it is just seems to be a distant word that is lost in the dictionary. [:!]

18. CalKat

CalKat Member

I am so with you on that! I feel like an endangered species sometimes. What ever happened to common decency, integrity, and manners for crying out loud? Maybe it is different away from the big cities, I don't know.

While on a stop in a small Colorado town, a gentleman held the door for me. It's been so long since something liked that happened I was genuinely taken aback.

The handicap placards are for those with handicaps, like yours. The cheaters and scammers ruin it for everyone. How they can look themselves in the mirror is a mystery to me.

19. CommaHolly

CommaHolly New Member

what a miserable soul.

I feel bad for them. We should pray for them.

how does that song go?

oh yeah,,,,,,,that's it.

I pray your brakes go out runnin' down a hill
    I pray a flower pot falls from a window sill
    And knocks you in the head like I'd like to
    I pray your birthday comes and nobody calls
    I pray you're flyin' high when your engine stalls
    I pray all your dreams never come true
    Just know wherever you are, honey, I pray for you

Lyrics from <a href="http://www.elyrics.net">eLyrics.net</a>

20. blondedriver

blondedriver Member

I have just finally taken a page from the 80's TV show " Designing Women" and vocalize my position on a regular basis. I am nice I am polite but I speak up !! and I have threatened to shove a few horn up some ones back side