Jerk honking at me while I'm wating for my disabled husband

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by BarbaraFaith, May 29, 2013.

1. nconniej52

nconniej52 One semi-retired DH and a cute blonde Shih tzu

Just wonder if putting a picture on the placard of the person that is handicapped would help. The person that owns the placard should be in the car either driving or as a passenger. Don't know what could be done with people with handicap tags which is what I have. [SCOTR]

2. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

I'm not sure if the driver was impatient or if you were overly sensitive to the situation. There isn't anything sinister about honking horns. It's a communication device.

Generally, handicapped spots are placed right next to the door. Part of the reason is so that you don't have to block the flow of traffic to drop-off and pick-up disabled people. Ideally, you would have had your hazard lights on, or at least a blinker. Communication is the key, and that's what blinkers are ... communication devices.

Travel outside the US and you'll find people use their horns quite a bit ... and it's actually a good thing. In America, people treat a horn as if you called their wife ugly or their kids stupid. I've honked at people who were texting at a green light only to have them flip me off. Really? Why would that bother you so badly ... you fell asleep at a green light while illegally texting, I prompted you to go, and you respond with a "F** You!" It's a bad culture we've developed ... relax, getting honked at isn't the end of the world.

3. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

4. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

This is true. I think many people are just disgusted with how easy some states make it for people to abuse these cards.

5. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

I can't believe how ignorant some folks are. A few weeks ago we took our niece bowling... she is paralyzed from the wasted down... but can get around on her hands... kind of like crawling. A man there just walked up to her and told her she needed to stand up when going to the bowling lane where a ramp was set up so she could bowl. I told him she can't stand up and he just rolled his eyes like we were an inconvenience to him. He never apologized... his wife did later... but so ignorant. It did not bother niece... she had a blast and it was a fundraising event for the Humane Society... so we all had fun and helped a good cause! [:D]

6. br9

br9 Member

I'm betting he didn't know you were waiting on a handicap person. People park in front of all the stores around here. And it is aggregating. I see most people leave the Walmart handicap carts in parking lot. They have employees that are happy to pick them up. I didn't see anything in original post about honking at her in a handicapped spot. Just curb in front of store. Side note I have handicap tags and placard myself.

7. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

When in these stores, my spouse uses the scooter. Some of them have the baggers follow us out and bring the scooter back. Wally world around here wont let you take em out of the store so I bring the car up from the handicapped spot to get her. Then I return the scooter and plug it back in :)

Jerry in MA

8. Ktamsor2

Ktamsor2 That which doesn't kill me..........should run.

I've been disabled since I was 30. I got a back injury, which didn't heal right, and then Osteoarthritis set in, and just two years ago I also got RH, so I'm pretty much in constant pain. However, that being said, I don't LOOK disabled. Most days I can walk pretty good, and as long as the weather cooperates I don't have to use the scooter. But there are times where my size comes in handy with jerks like you described as well. I'm female, and 6' tall in my stocking feet. So if guys are scared of a GUY who's that tall, think about an ex-army female, who looks at them and gives them an evil grin. I have literally had guys RUN from me. Of course the gun bumper stickers all over the back of my truck also gives them pause. But you know, like someone previously said, you can't teach an @## hole, not to be an @## hole. They have to learn the hard way. Another old song comes to mind for me in this instance:

May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose!!!

[{:)] [:D]
    [PU] [TV]

9. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

10. Ktamsor2

Ktamsor2 That which doesn't kill me..........should run.

Dennis Leary, the ******* song.

11. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Wal-Mart is a scary place, in most places I have been. I'm glad it's your happy place, because many folks, including myself, can't stay far enough away, lol.

Sorry that this guy was honking, but it doesn't sound like he knew you were waiting on your disabled husband, rather parked in a no parking area. ;)

12. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Mass placards have pictures. And come with plastic covers to hide the pictures[emoji1] . It's been decided that it's a violation of privacy to have the picture displayed. But a cop can ask to see it. Pretty good comprise.

13. Adam Roby

Adam Roby New Member

I can sympathize with you and your husband. I have 3 herniated discs in my lower back and when they irritated I can barely walk. I don't have a cane (at least not since the initial injury) and at first glance I do not look injured, so maybe that is why. I was in a Costco parking lot recently, walking across the "lane", limping, and some "soccer Mom" started honking at me to move faster. When I continued at my same speed she "hopped" her SUV towards me to kind of scare me into moving faster, she was actually close enough for me to smack her hood with my open hand. I am normally not a violent person but ignorant people like this, even if she was a woman, would have deserved a smack in the mouth for that behavior. She had the nerve to scream at me from the inside of her SUV, and I yelled back some colorful words you can be sure.

I find people act like they are in a whole difference world when they are in the bubble of their vehicles.