Jerry Can Carrying

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by teh603, May 31, 2021.

1. teh603

teh603 Member

So, my wife had a brilliant idea late last night. Look up how many gas stations there are in a given area. And surprisingly, there's gas station deserts almost as bad as food deserts, out towards New Mexico and Arizona. And that brought up the topic of gas cans, in a "fill this up just in case" sense not a "time to walk a hundred miles back to the last gas station" sense.

My TV is a modern SUV, not a WW2 Jeep, VW Safari/Thing, or some other "military style" vehicle where I could just bolt a pair of jerry can carriers to the back bumper. And while this next trip will probably be tent camping and we'll probably end up being able to put them on one of those trailer hitch trays, I've still got some questions.

Do you folks find you need gas cans very often? Or are there more gas stations than immediately show up on the map? How do you carry them, if you do?

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Your liberty has a range of what ..... 300 miles. So how far do you think you will be between stations. You could mount a Jerry can on the spare tire mount and put the spare on the roof.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Never needed them, but if I did they would be bungeed in the back of the truck.. If I had an suv or mini van.. I'd invest in a roof rack basket and carry them there..

When we did our trip from the Toronto area to Nashville, I would stop at the first gas station I saw once my gas got too 1/2 tank.. yes was a few stops but it made sure I wouldn't run out, allowed the dogs a chance to pee, let the teenage boys a chance to stretch their legs.. Short of running out of gas, arriving at the campground nearly on empty and having to find a gas station nearest the park can be a pain..

Example is our own Algonquin Park.. huge park.. has 6 campgrounds with it.. Closest gas station to the "West" entrance gate is about an hour away, the "East" entrance gate is about 30 minutes (maybe 40 minutes) away..

Incase anyone is interested..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algonquin_Provincial_Park
    And
    https://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/index.php

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We do most of our camping in the 4Corners States and have never carried extra gas for the vehicle. We do lots of driving while exploring, but not while towing.
    We fill up at half a tank of gas or so. If in doubt of upcoming gas stations, we fill it up when we can. The longest stretch that I remember is I-70 west of green River Utah, which is something like 120-150 miles between services.

5. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

This is what I do. I travel in the mountains a lot and there is usually squat up there. So I always fill up my tank before I go on the mountain even if I have close to a full tank already. Mountains and towing kill your gas mileage your just watching that needle dip lower and lower. One campground I went to was on the mountain after driving around to different trail heads my tank was half full so the day before pack up I drove off the mountain to fill my tank so I knew I had enough to get off and then some with the trailer. I personally never felt the need to bring an extra tank, but I do watch my gas very very closely and even though another gas station is out of my way, I will go just to ensure I have enough. I ran out of gas only once but thankfully managed to putt up to a gas station. There was a gas rush that happened on my trip once and even though I found lots of stations found no gas at said stations. Never ever took the chance after that.

kitphantom likes this.
  7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The only place that ever made me think twice was the stretch of I-40 between Needles and Barstow, CA. I don't know if it's still that way, but there used to multiple roads signs advising that there was no gas between for 140 miles or whatever the distance between the two cities is.

When traveling, I worry more about the price of gas than about finding a gas station. I try to plan and if I know we're going to be a "gas desert" I follow kitphantom's lead and top off the tank before we get there.