JOB SITE FM RADIOS

Discussion in 'Taking Your Camper Off Road' started by roybraddy, Jul 31, 2019.

1. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

My neighbor just showed up with a JOB SITE FM radio... These are pretty neat... Porter Cable model PCC771B...

[​IMG]
    Google image

these work off of tool slide-in battery bank... Runs a long time on a standard 20V Tool battery pack...

I'm always listening to country music coming through my cell phone internet connection running up a lot of GB's haha... I use Verizon which has unlimited GB usage but one should not over do thing I reckon...

This portable radio also has BLUETOOTH which sound great coming out of my pocket ILUV speaker...

Not all that expensive at $59 (AMAZON) but that doesn't include the tool 20V battery or charger... This does come with a 120VAC Power Adapter

Just thought others might find these interesting as well... Great for boondocking...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I used to take my little portable Panasonic SW radio everywhere. At night I would listen to VOA, Radio Moscow, BBC, Deutsch Welle, Cuba and anything else I could get my dial to pull in. Sadly these days almost all of them have dried up in North America, and I rarely mess with it anymore. Gets pretty discouraging. I do use it for FM still, and it runs forever on those 4 little AA batteries.

My son has a Wonderboom speaker. I was pretty skeptical when I first saw it, but I have to admit it really sounds good.

I mainly rely on some beefy battery packs for my small electronics. A couple large Anker packs that are sufficient for most needs recharging USB based phones, speakers and fans, and I have a couple Goal Zero Sherpa 100s that I bought on super clearance when they discontinued that model. They work really well, with AC power, 12V and 18V laptop charging, plus USB, and can recharge from solar, 12V in the car and AC mains.

Most of my battery based stuff is used on tent camping trips though - always have power in the pup when I use it. You will never find me boondocking unless I have a generator and an ample supply of fuel!

3. roybraddy

I have the CELL PHONE 'TUNE-IN' app and you can select stations all over the US that has an internet connection... Kinda neat to listen to you home town radio station anywhere you go... But it runs up my GB usage haha...

Here around my house I have a WI-FI antenna up for outside use so I get to carry my ILUV Speaker unit in my pocket and listen to my radio even when mowing grass haha...

When I am camping or doing a emergency radio alert trip I can select several audio inputs from my Ham Radio or other radios and broadcast out to my ILUV pocket speaker. Can keep up with what's going on radios haha...

BlueTooth helps out a lot...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

neighbormike likes this.
  4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

We have a Stereo in the TT and outdoor speakers, but i have a small AM-FM radio to listen to the ballgame in the evenings at the campground.

I had another radio that had a weather band, but I dropped it in the minnow bucket while fishing one night. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a weather radio. Do any of you use one?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  5. roybraddy

I have the MIDLAND WR120 sold by WALMART... Also found it neat to monitor for bad storms in the POPUPs... The high wind is the scary thing I am always checking on...

This is what the MIDLAND WR120 looks like... When traveling you have to reset it everytime you stop to listen to the county you are in...
    [​IMG]

Mine is hardwired in the trailer... Wakes you up when the alerts come on...

Roy Ken

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    neighbormike and kcsa75 like this.
  6. Econ

Econ Member

Model? Like?

Grundig 800 is a little big to lug around.

7. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Thanks for the observation about lack of SW stations, guess my fancy Sony AM/FM/SW radio is not going to be used for much going forward.

8. Econ

Econ Member

Try Radio Havana around 6,000 for music.

<<<<<<I've been kicking around the idea of getting a weather radio.>>>>>

Weather radios have been known to wake the dead. Wait til that thing goes off 5 times between midnight and 3 AM. <GG>

9. roybraddy

I have great luck with my cellphone using VERIZON with unlimited grandfathered DATA PLAN... Internet is full of many way to get music of your liking 24/7 no matter where you are... PANDORA is great app... I also belong to SIRIUS in my truck and it has a great internet link... I can get all of the SIRIUS channels I like over the internet... TUNE-IN is another great app... Also chances are your local FM STATION is online as well. I can follow our local station WFLS here in Virginia almost anywhere... They have an internet link I can log into... I picked up one of those very small pocket speakers called ILUV... I don't know how they do it but it has great sounds in a small shirt pocket size speakers..
    I have it linked to my cell phone BLUETOOTH... Great sounds...

I use my Verizon MIFI Plan as well. This allows me to use any a nd all of my devices here in the POPUP... This MIFI has an external antenna with the WIILSON Cradle it sits in so I have a good 200-feet around my popup trailer using all of my devices...

I carry my cellphone is a belt case and I got two of them and carry a cell phone size battery back on my belt as well in the second belt case... I can easily go 24 hours a day with the extra power pack... I have several DC CHARGE STATIONs in my POPUP so keeping all the devices batteries charged up is a must thing to do... I do this while I sleep haha...

I am usually solo on my camping tips and this really comes in handy for me...

This all blends in well with my Ham radio setup as well... Multiple resources...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019 at 9:22 PM