John Martin Reservoir - Hasty, CO

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by vader33, Jul 20, 2020.

1. vader33

vader33 Member

This past weekend we took a trip with our 3yo and some friends to John Martin Reservoir State Park near Las Animas, CO.

This was our first trip in our new-to-us '99 Palomino Filly. We definitely learned what we should do, and what we definitely won't do on our next outing. First and foremost, we learned that even if your generator is up to the task, if you're going to be bringing along a portable air conditioner, make sure it's in good running order. While I tested ours on the genny before bringing it on the trip, the AC unit died shortly after we got set up and wouldn't blow cold air for the remainder of the trip. Not fun when daytime highs are in the 100s. Thankfully I had Reflectix installed over the bunk ends, and I also installed a 400W inverter which allowed us to run a couple of small fans, making things bearable.

Speaking of generators, if you're unfamiliar with my generator saga, you can catch up here. The generator ran great, and for those wondering, I ran it for a total of 3 hours the entire trip. Generators are permitted during non-quiet hours (6am-10pm) and there are no special requirements permitting or prohibiting their use. Since the AC was out of commission, the generator was only used to charge the pup's batteries and to run a couple of small appliances while my wife made dinner.

Overall, a hot but fun trip. Pics below, enjoy!

Rik Peery, Orchid, akriot and 2 others like this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice spot! You'll get a new ac, how were the temps at night?

3. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I'm glad you had fun. I was camping in 100 degree temperature last year up out of Independence California. I had A/C and a generator. I ran the gen from about 12:00 noon until about 6 at night for two days. I just don't like the heat like I use to. I was in a public campground, but there was nobody else in the whole campground but me. So noise wasn't a problem. The weather was cooler on a second trip to the same site a few months later . I didn't need the gen at all. But a motor-home came in later. In the morning they ran their gen for some reason. It wasn't exceptionally loud and I didn't mind at all. Things like that just don't bother me.

vader33 likes this.
  4. vader33

vader33 Member

I did some research and found my pup is built for a rooftop unit, I'm going to look into having one installed. Temps at night were very pleasant, dipping into the mid 60s.

D&JColorado, Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. vader33

vader33 Member

We had neighbors about a quarter mile away who ran theirs all day, but you could barely notice. Considering where we were, I wouldn't have minded if everyone had a generator running considering how hot it was. Daytime highs were pretty brutal.

Orchid, Grandpa Don and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. D&JColorado

D&JColorado New Member

7. D&JColorado

D&JColorado New Member

That's funny, we were there as well. We stayed in the campground side, but yeah it was really hot in the afternoon especially. You really do need ac there in the summer. I grew up literally 3 miles from that reservoir. My Dad turned 90 on Sunday so we were down there for that.

Sjm9911 and vader33 like this.
  8. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I'm one of those people that has to have a little background noise to sleep. At home I have a fan blowing air on me all night long. Even in winter. I can hear it running. My cousin is just the opposite. He came to visit one day and I put him in my guest room. There was a clock on the wall that he could hear it ticking all night. In the morning I found the clock in the bathroom. He said he couldn't sleep with all that noise so he moved the clock.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    vader33 likes this.
  9. vader33

vader33 Member

I used to be like that, couldn't sleep unless it was dead quiet. Then I met my wife, and she always needs a fan or some kind of white noise to sleep. Now, I can't sleep at all if it's quiet lol.

10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Glad you had a good time despite the air conditioning fiasco.
    The water hole looks fun and a great way to keep your body temperatures low.

I don't blame you for looking into a rooftop unit. Many, if not most, pup roofs are made to accommodate an a/c in case the customer chooses one as an option.

Since they are not wired, the install is not complicated. Scariest part is cutting the hole.

Thanks for sharing photos, I enjoyed them!

vader33 likes this.
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If you get the roof top unit, get the big one.

vader33 and Orchid like this.
  12. D&JColorado

D&JColorado New Member

Just so you know, the temps at night can cool to pretty nice levels, mid 60's to low 70's. It's a decent place to stay but you definitely need AC or like it hot. It will stay cooler in the morning I would guess until 9:00ish then start to warm up quickly!! It was 102 on Saturday when we were there.

Sjm9911 likes this.