John Pennekamp State Park, July 4th week

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by thelmuth, May 7, 2017.

1. thelmuth

thelmuth Member

We have a week booked with 4 other families. We are the only Pup, 1 family is tenting it, (it's gonna be hot). One family has 2 children a, girl, 9 and a boy, 14. There will also be an 18 year old girl and another 14 year old boy.

It's hard to believe I have lived in FL almost all my life and this is only my second time in the Keys. First time was 5 years ago for our 25th anniversary, we spent a week on Cudjoe Key.

Looking for things to do in the area. Some of us are divers and plan to do a few dives on the reefs while there. We will also do a couple snorkel tours where everyone can be involved. We plan to spend one day in Key West and hang around to watch the sunset at Mallory Square. Beach and sun too.

What are some other "must see or do" things in Key Largo?

2. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

It's been 10 years since I have been to the keys.

Whale Harbor Inn seafood buffet restaurant in Tavernier.

Alabama Jacks on the old Card Sound rd.

Bahia Honda SP

3. Gunz

Gunz Member

We'll be there 19-30 June in the pop up. We're gonna do a day up at Everglades NPS while we're there.
    +1 on Whale Harbor.

4. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

Bahia Honda SP on the bridge is pretty cool. Watch the large fish come out of the Gulf side to the Atlantic side. Gulf side is dark water and the Atlantic side is almost clear so you see half of the fish. So cool!

5. thelmuth

thelmuth Member

Looks like we'll just miss you. We're arriving on the 30th.

6. thelmuth

thelmuth Member

This will be our longest trip we've ever taken in the Pup. Both distance and length of stay. Last summer we did a 4 night trip to St. Andrews State Park in Panama City Beach. Which was the longest to date. We typically do 2 or 3 day weekend trips within a few hours of home.

7. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Great to have other divers here...we like to go with Capt. Slate at Scuba Adventures or Dixie Divers, both treat us WONDERFUL but you can do some wonderful shore diving and snorkeling right there and down the road a bit. If you do a seach or scroll down to the reviews you'll probably find my post on the Keys from 2 years ago...not much has changed.

Pennekamp has a lot to do right there on site from cycling trails to assorted fishing to a charter sight-seeing boat and rentals of kayaks etc. There are actually 2 or more separate beaches right on site for the family one within walking distance and the other a quick drive if you don't want to walk.

There are plenty of dive shops to hit along the way but one of the best is right there at the Top of the Keys on the right hand side as you enter Largo from Miami. Our next trip down will probably be Honda Bahia next summer. For the price and the access to so many things you'll not be at a loss for things to do....HAVE FUN.

One other note...if you see the logo for NAS JAX Skin & Scuba Diving Club you'll know it's a good outfit as our members are know world-wide for their experience and dedication to the sport...I've been President 10 different years (yeah and they still keep me as a member) and we date back to 1972 when we were strictly for Military members.

thelmuth likes this.