Jonathan Dickinson State Park

jumpoff

I'm in a camping state of mind
Nov 3, 2015
North East Florida
I've never been there but on the trip advisor reviews someone said it looked like maybe they had done some controlled burns. If you wanna stay a little closer in north Florida we have Little Talbot Island SP, Anastasia State Park and Fort Clinch SP all right on or adjacent to the ocean...all with kayaking on inland water. Save you about 3 to 4 hours of driving.

smadeen

Jul 5, 2013
West Palm Beach, FL 33407
The River campground is better than the Pine Grove. Pine Grove is mostly paved with no shade and more like a large parking lot -- good for big RV and trailers. River campground would be good if you need a place to stay while attending the baseball spring training in the area. The park itself has lots of other activities -- fishing, kayaking, boat tour, trails, and etc.

jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
North East Florida
speckhunter80 said:
thanks Jumpoff but the wife is a St.Louis Cardinal fan so we use this CG for spring training

I totally get that... We just finished cheering the Cubs home finally. Don't tell your wife though.

speckhunter80

Super Active Member
Jul 26, 2012
Shell Rock Landing, Hubert NC
smadeen said:
The River campground is better than the Pine Grove. Pine Grove is mostly paved with no shade and more like a large parking lot -- good for big RV and trailers. River campground would be good if you need a place to stay while attending the baseball spring training in the area. The park itself has lots of other activities -- fishing, kayaking, boat tour, trails, and etc.
So you have been to the River CG in the last three months or is your opinion based on what it looked like in 2014 before the closed it? Because in your original post you say it has been stripped of shade trees and planted with saplings.

smadeen

Jul 5, 2013
West Palm Beach, FL 33407
Checked on the progress of the JDSP renovations in June 2016. Supposedly to be reopened July 2016, but was delayed due various construction issues. It looked nothing like before without the established vegetation and shade trees removed. They had to ripped them out to put in new utilities. One plus thing, two new bathhouses as they had only one before.

jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
North East Florida
Speck my DW is from that part of Florida (Boca Raton). She said she's been to that park. She didn't think it was a very good place to camp... "too many snakes and alligators" were her exact words... :)

scubacamper

Super Active Member
Mar 19, 2013
Jacksonville, FL
I thought I posted the review of our trip down there back in September. Now the River campground wasn't open yet as it was still pretty rough looking and little had been done, though you may want to call.

We stayed in #21 which, does FLOOD in heavy rain but also drains off quickly. There are trees that they've planted but almost ZERO shade so plan accordingly. There is a lot of traffic noise during the day but not much at night, as is expected. You're close to almost everything since it's just north of Jupiter and West Palm is only a few more miles down the road. There is an observation tower that is cool though I wouldn't recommend it if there is a thunderstorm even miles away, our 6 y/o's hair was standing on end so we left quickly. They have bikes, canoes and other water craft for rent and the education center is worth seeing.

We like to go down and scuba dive the Blue Heron Bridge which as a local park and beach beneath it. If you're taking the family plan on snorkeling it at HIGH TIDE.

Best of luck and have fun.

Latest posts