Joolca Ensuite Double setup tour.

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by dbhost, Jun 20, 2021.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

So here it is, the full walkthrough of the fruits of my labor getting the Joolca Ensuite Double, the Jaxpety Toilet, and the modified Zodi Hot Tap Instant Hot Shower. In actual use the Zodi is higher, and I use one of the clips to support the battery box...

theseus, Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Nice setup! I would totally dooker in your front yard! Lol! Love ya bro [:)C]

firepit and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

LOL... The setup in the yard was to be able to show the setup, and as we all should, give me a dry run on setup of our gear. I may have screwed up though. I forgot to remove the hanging items from inside the Joolca when I rushed to pack it up before the rain got nasty...

So I have the setup honed I think. So main tent, or Suite, ready, Ensuite ready, EZ Up / Kitchen ready. Now is the time to get out there in a manner that I can put up / take down with WAY less effort than I had been with traditional tents / privy tents...

IF, and this is a BIG if, there are sites available, because I really don't want to dispersed camp with new equipment, but if a park site is available once the weather gets back to tolerable, I am hoping we can get a full on campsite setup tour.

I honestly love the tour videos because I love to see how others solve a lot of the same issues I ended up with.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  4. neighbormike

Hope you are able to find a site! It definitely not easy anymore!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

No it's not. It wasn't easy before the pandemic. The worst part is, our state Parks department has torn out entire campgrounds within easy reach of me not to be returned, or not to be returned before some time next year. So as demand goes up, supply is taken away from a public reasource. For the most part I am forced to camp in dispersed camping areas, that are precious few here in TX, and even they are getting crowded...

If the overnight lows were regularly in the low to mid 60s, I would happily trudge on over to Bolivar Peninsula and camp on the beach there. Unfortunately 5 gallon buckets are pretty space consuming. So I am crusing the thrift shops looking for $.50 pillow cases to convert to sandbags that I can add a drawstring pull to, and use them as anchor points for tents...

With my F150 running right, it is a lot easier, Pitch the tent crosswise, pitch the EZ Up, and anchor it to the truck, no joke, and then pitch the Joolca...

Anchor a big tarp at ground level on the windward side, with some sandbags holding it down and draw it over to at least partially cover the EZ Up keeping wind from blowing under the truck, and then in turn under the EZ Up...

The problem is once the sun goes down on the beach, wind picks up and is pretty steady, enough to blow sand through the tent. With the Ozark Trail cabin tent I doubt it will be prone to sand intrusion like the Coleman Sundome though.

Dispersed camping in Sam Houston National Forest is an idea, but not sure about how safe it is up there... Pretty close to the state prison complex...

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. neighbormike

You seriously need sandbags to keep stuff from blowing away?? Never been to your neck of the woods so I have no idea.... and NO - I would not be keen on camping outside a prison complex!!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Why do younthink he needs the tent! Lol.
    I have used weights for keeping stuff down. Yea, i know its added weight. I know you dont have a camper that you take, i used to also tie off to the milk crates i had and anything else around. Wind only comes when stuff isnt secured.

neighbormike likes this.
  8. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

That was in regard to beach camping. Steady 20mph gulf breezes are common overnight...

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

So...will we see you on naked and afraid?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Don't count on it...

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. neighbormike

@dbhost I re-read that and get it... it’s about keeping the sand from blowing....