Jordan Lake State Park, NC, Poplar Point Campground

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by Riveyman, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Jordan Lake State Park, Poplar Point Campground

Web site: http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/jord/main.php
    Email: [email protected]
    Phone : (919) 362-0586
    GPS: 35.7369, -79.0169

[PU] [PU] [PU] [PUC]
    (3.5 pop ups out of 5) :)

Spent the Easter weekend in April. Had a really nice stay.
    Got lucky and managed to reserve a pretty nice site that was roomy enough to have the slide out and the awning with screen room attached. (parking and picnic area was one area)
    We drove the loops and noticed many of the sites had 2 areas.
    The parking areas and down some stairs to the picnic area. The parking areas were only wide enough for the slide out (if that).
    Not really any room to put the awning out (if you need ground for awning poles). They would have stairs right off the camper parking area to the area with picnic tables and fire ring.
    So be aware of this when picking a site to reserve.
    The facilities were clean, but out dated.
    The doors for some of the stalls didn't have latches on them.
    And the showers, to turn the water on you had to press a button that would only last several seconds and then would have to push it again. Over and over. I know, conserve water.
    But it was chilly while there and it took many pushes before the hot water ever started coming out. Brrr.
    Another thing that got me. We didn't see any recycle bins!
    We are big recyclers and found this odd for a state park.

The beach area seemed real nice. We walked around but it was too cold to enjoy a beach.
    As a matter of fact, we were the only ones there.

We did enjoy ourselves. And will go back, hopefully when it's warmer.

2. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

Hi Rivey, Poplar Point is our favorite local camping area. It is very crowded on weekends and during the summer months but the DW and I like to go during the week. We have spent many trips as the only ones in the loop. As you stated, many sites are dual and others are bi-level, however each site is well documented with photos on the web site in case you haven't had the opportunity to do a personal survey. Solar heating is used at many of the bath houses, so hot water situation will improve as the daily temps rise.
    If you ever see my screen name on a sign out front, drop in and say hello.

3. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We camped there 2 years ago. Nice park. But DW did not care for the showers with the low doors, maybe 4 feet high. Also, we did not care for the gate locking policy. I think they lock them at 9 PM. will not be going back to there.

4. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

I personally like the fact that the rangers ride through and make sure that everyone is out of the park if they are not registered quests. They lock the gates for camper security.

5. tenttrailer

I realized the idea for locking the gates and at most other CG's I't would not have bother us.

But we were visiting the kids that live in Apex, so it was a PIA to rush back every night. It felt like have dinner sit and talk for an hour then rush back so we would not get locked out.

6. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Yeah, the locking of gates put us under some pressure to get there in time when we headed out to check in. I thought I read they closed the gates at 8pm. Anyhow, we got there around 7:30pm. But no one was at the check-in office. So just drove to the site and set up.
    We made an ice run late the next day and saw that the gate closed at 9pm.

Wild-Life, now that you mention it, I did see the solar panels on the roofs. Makes sense.

Tenttrailer, yeah the 1/2 doors (if that) and the lack of a bench or something to put your stuff on to keep it dry.

7. tenttrailer

out side of those few little things very nice CG

8. RonDad

RonDad Active Member

Poplar Point remains a well-maintained State Park campground. Since these initial posts a few things have changed:
    1) as with many NC SP's the bathroom facilities have been renovated in the past 1-3 years. Not clear how they schedule them as Loop C is quite new, but Loop G is not done yet (at least 1 of 2 buildings).
    2) Gates are now open 24 hours. Unsure if this is seasonal or not, but May 14th was 24-hour. Rangers still do patrols but appear very passive unless there is a reported issue.

Nice walking trail through the woods that connect each of the campsite loops. If you're interested in scoping out sites, you can just walk from loop to loop. Dump station has 4 lanes! Final observation - choose wisely if you want to be lakefront or not. Depends on your activities. The people that choose those sites are more "active" as far as coming/going on boats, jet skis, + fishing and so on. Super-quiet sites just off of the lakefront will leave you wondering if people are even there!

9. tenttrailer

That nice, DW hated the bathrooms with half doors on the showers. We both could not stand the gates being locked at 9:00 pm. We have not been to that state park since 4-5 years ago.