JT Strong arm

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by ShanegoDave, Oct 26, 2021.

1. ShanegoDave

ShanegoDave Member

I get some movement Rocking in my fifth wheel while walking around, I am chocked pretty well I think. I am thinking about investing in purchasing a JT Strong arm setup , I been reading reviews, but see both pro and cons , just wondering if anybody here has first hand knowledge on this product ? What’s your thoughts?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I dont, but i dont have a TT also. Do you chock both sides of the camper? I feel that helps a ton with the TT. Some here have used something simmiler to the one you listed( if not the same one) and like it.

3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Guess I'm different. We have a small travel trailer. I know it's on chocked wheels, stabilized by poorly made stilts, so I expect a little movement. It's not like we're square dancing in it. Still better than the tent I spent 20 years in.

xxxapache likes this.
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

In both popups and the 17' TT we have, I definitely notice vibrations from walking around. In large part, I think that's because we live in a house built on a concrete slab, and it's a camper made of thin walls and studs. We do our best to stabilize. The Strongarm looks like more set-up work, and most of the time, I'm fine as it is. Now, using the trailer at stops on the road, with no stabilizing - that can set off my vertigo.
    Since our trailer is small, we have discovered a couple of things that help - first, we use a stack of Lynx leveler blocks under the tongue jack. We didn't get a new jack after having the trailer lifted with a new axle. The stack reduces how much cranking we have to do, and the jack wiggles less if it's not extended out a lot. We also use at least one Lynx block and cap under the stabilizers, which do have sand pads, on most surfaces. Very level concrete sites are an exception, and a rare one. It helps spread out the weight on the ground, and helps with soft ground, etc. We often use a stack of blocks, again, the stabilizers work best when not extended to far - ours are the ones on an arm, not scissor style.

5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

The JT looks like too much set up.

I find that an X chock between dual wheels helps to stabilize.

generok likes this.
  6. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

I use the BAL version.
    Same idea, but it's cheaper.
    Install post here.
    We also use an X Chock on a parked TT in our back yard, it works well also.

7. ShanegoDave

ShanegoDave Member

Thanks! I think I’m going to try x chocking both low and high side, that should stop the front to rear movement, then see if I get any side movement , may look into the Bal one .

8. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

I installed the BAL versions on my hybrid when we had it. The difference they make are night and day. We bought a 36 ft TT a year and a half ago and it came with the JT Strong Arms from the factory. I would never own another camper without them. Set up is a simple turn of a tightening bolt (BAL) or T-handle (JT). The arms stay attached to the levelers permanently, you only need to tighten or loosen the lock. I personally use X-chocks and JT's and I would never own another camper without them.

Sjm9911 likes this.