Julian Price Campground - Blue Ridge Parkway by Blowing Rock

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by 4birdman, Sep 8, 2020.

1. 4birdman

4birdman New Member

I'll go ahead and preface this with the fact that my family has been camping at a ton of campgrounds across NC, but mostly tent camping and this was our first long trip in our popup. We've been local with it, but finally fixed up the camper enough that we felt comfortable doing it on a long trip. We decided that we wanted to get out since we've been cooped up in the house for so long. We had a hard time finding a campground that had a spot, but finally got one at Julian Price. It is in a good spot off of the Blue Ridge Parkway, a short jump off of 421. About 3.5 hours out of the Raleigh area.

The place had a couple bathrooms, but no showers, at least none we could find. The best part was that it was a short hike through the woods to the lake.

This had to be the smallest campground that we had been to. Maybe because I'm used to tent camping, but I know the campgrounds that we've been to so far with the camper have had a ton more room. The campground was so tight that some sites had to be closed because the fire pits or camping pads were too close for social distancing regulations. it was tight trying to drive down the roads because things were so tight. I was towing our little camper with my CCSB F250 and there was no way to get both in the campsite so I had to park the truck perpendicular to the site parallel on the side of the road. I guess maybe we are a bit more accustomed to having a little more room when camping.

We had our two boys, 13 and 10, and our mental lab mutt with us so we were hoping to have more room because no matter how hard we try we do make noise. Most of the people there were super nice and stopped and talked and asked the boys how their fishing went and what kind of dog we had and everything. I even apologized to the people next door because my truck had trouble starting one morning and it blew a big cloud of diesel smoke into their site (again, so close that this was an issue) and the guy was like "nah, no big deal, we just thought it was a strange smelling fog" and laughed.

But the guy next door to us.....yeah....we were too close for him.

He had a popup as well. During the day for a few hours he ran an open frame generator. I felt like I was in the pits at the racetrack. The last night we had a big issue with them. Now, not once did they speak to us, wave to us, anything. I know with a popup sounds carry a little more, and I realize I wasn't thinking about sounds carrying when we were so close, but his reaction was a little over the top. We were playing cards in the camper and didn't realize that it was 10pm. I went out to the truck and put the food in the back seat and had the boys brush their teeth with some bottled water. They were talking but I was trying to keep their voices down to try and be respectful. All of a sudden he yelled "WOULD YA'LL SHUT THE F%$% UP? GODD#$N IT I'M F%^&ING TIRED OF THIS S%^$" and then a slew of other obscenities. At this point we were already going to bed, but the boys were pretty scared. I mean, you could hear that they were younger kids, why feel the need to start swearing at them instead of a simple "hey, mind keeping it down?"

We try and be respectful and as quiet as we can, we've been camping for years, but with the sites being so close together it is hard with a younger family.

Totally would not recommend. We definitely won't be returning.

Pics - in the one with the boys throwing football, there is a truck and camper parked parallel in the road on the right side beside my son in the blue shirt. On the left side beside my son in the red shirt is about where the other campsite starts. The black truck in front of mine is the campsite in front of ours.
    117310124_10107573600386029_3545344430798625002_n.jpg
    2020-09-08.jpg

Econ likes this.
  2. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

@4birdman
    <<Totally would not recommend. We definitely won't be returning.>>

Price and Doughton are the last two we havent been to on the BRP and were closed last year.

Have you been to Doughton?

Try Pisgah. 40 year old Rhodos separate the campsites. 3 loops: tent, popups and vehicles and RVs. 100*F showers for 10.00 a night. Yes, I am an Old Goat. Give me my discount!!!<GG>

3. Del Kelso

Del Kelso Member

try New River State Park, just north of Jefferson. really nice developed campground on the ridge top and primitive walk in camping by the river. our favorite park in NC. fantastic float opportunities (class 1) and blue ridge parkway is nearby.

4. 4birdman

4birdman New Member

We have tent camped at Doughton before, it was pretty nice if I remember correctly. I'll definitely have to try out Pisgah!

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Talking at 10pm? lol. We often play cards in our pup until midnight. We try to keep it down, but it's a pup. Other sites are having gatherings around their campfires, etc too. Again we can hear them but they aren't being loud or obnoxious.

If you can't tolerate ANY noise than you shouldn't camp in public campgrounds. Or at least wear ear plugs. This person must have troubles everywhere he goes. And the fact that he ran an OPEN FRAME generator then complained about noise at 10pm? Wow.

From your pics the place doesn't look nearly as cramped as I pictured from your description. Not like an "RV Park" where you're literally 10 feet away from your neighbors on both sides.

6. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Doughton, we were told is the campground the guitar pickers hangout. Did you see that or were they too scared to the ....

https://www.popupportal.com/threads/mt-pisgah-cg.105762/