July 4th and the Star Spangled Banner

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Ken Lane, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

Its a great story to me.

Makes me proud to be an American.
    Yeah it didn't happen on July 4th. I know.

Rik Peery and PopUpSteve like this.
  2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Interesting story but I think the original presenter got a few fact wrong. Sounds as if he was mixing statements from the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.

But still a store to make you proud to be an American!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

This is a tv drama based on actual events. As such, it means nothing about truth. When they can actually get the facts right and not add in a bunch of "added for dramatic effect" non-existent conversations, I might pay a bit more attention.

Why do we need to make stuff up and change facts for our National Anthem? I think it has held up well based on the truth.

4. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/our-flag-was-still-there-30050592/

There is quite a bit of sensationalism in the story, women, children, prisoners murmuring etc., But the above Smithsonian article does lend a good deal of credence to the story told and its more history than the You tube version. Its an inspiring event and story even if its inflated a bit. Besides what country on this earth doesn't inflate its hero's stories just for effect. To listen, I enjoy the Air Force Academy version of the anthem myself.

5. Toedtoes

Well, first, we learned the history of it school so it's not really "the story you never knew". But with that, it did NOT occur during the American Revolution. It occurred during the War of 1812.

The Francis Scott Key poem is wonderful. It has everything an epic poem should have. And it does a great job of encapsulating the pride in seeing the American flag over Fort McHenry after the battle. And if you read all the stanzas, you can see a lot of what war is about.

And the song is a very difficult one to sing - and to hear it sung well is an amazing experience.

But none of that excuses the video for getting the war wrong (even ignoring all the dialogue that never happened). And I don't think getting the war wrong is the same as "some of the info is sketchy" as the uploader states. I think that posting the story of our National Anthem with the wrong facts is horrid.

We should be as proud of the true story behind the anthem as we are the anthem. And we should not accept and/or promote inaccurate tellings of it.

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

let's not forget that during the writing of said poem/song the flag was not 'properly' lit (nothing unpatriotic about that at time).[;)]
    NASA left several flags on the moon to be destroyed by UV that were not 'properly' lit (nothing unpatriotic about that at time).[;)]
    Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989), was a decision by the Supreme Court of the United States that invalidated prohibitions on desecrating the American flag [:(O]

mess with a mail box and that is again the law!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

You are very welcome for your National Anthem.. :p:D

Toedtoes likes this.
  8. Toedtoes

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

From what I have read, the White House at one time prior to the Canadians (mostly British troops, free'd up from fighting in Europe) attacking Washington the W.H was a yellowish color.. After the Canadians left, it was decided to paint over the burn marks and smoke damaged walls and all that was available on short notice was white paint..

We also took over all of Michigan for most of the war, burned Buffalo many times ..