Jump starter for newbies

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Dingit, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I don't know what I don't know. Can anyone recommend a resource that explains and compares the differences?

Any general opinions on the usefulness of these things? Or recommendations?

I want something that will:
    1. start my TV when the batteries die and I'm nowhere
    2. charge gadgets when I'm home and the power is out
    3. ?

This one seems like it would work and appears to be well-regarded by truck owners (and can be found for less than the MRSP :p ): https://no.co/gb150 If anyone happens to be familiar with this particular make, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!

2. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

3. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Thanks Red. That one does just about everything! A built-in inverter is a nice feature. I don't need it but why not, right? I probably need more CCA than that model offers but now I have more stuff to look for. :)

LilRed likes this.
  4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

My wife carries one, I believe it's the 2000 model, in the glove box of her Escape. She's used it a few times to start the Escape and cars for her friends. She usually carries it when we go out of town in the truck but I've never had to use it. Doubt that she's ever used the USB port but there's no reason it shouldn't work. Just like any battery you need to observe periodic charging requirements.

5. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have no experience with the Noco model, but wow is that ouchie on the wallet! I carry a little 300A jump pack, but mostly because I take it with me in the sideXside in case I need a jump in the middle of nowhere. I like the one at Lowes. Plenty of power and half the price.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have something similar to what LilRed has, mine also has a built in compressor..

7. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

Yes.. mine has the tire compressor and air mattress type inflator on the backside

8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

I use an iClever 1300 lithium jump pack. Used it to jump the Expedition off in Georgia once coming home. Tried to jump a guy off at a boat ramp, but the battery was not his issue. It has jumped the old riding mower numerous times. These things impress me. You charge with a 5v USB charger, yet it powers a 19v Notebook and jumps 12v engines.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My parents bought me a fairly cheap portable jump starter that came with a built in flashlight and USB ports. I used the USB ports to charge my devices when camping but when I read it required like three out of 5 bars of juice to start a car I don’t use it to charge my devices anymore when I’m camping. I’ve only had to use it once. My truck battery died while I was at a campground. Managed to pull it out and get it started just as a camp neighbor was coming over to see if I needed any help. I love it due to its portability and ease of use. I can easily keep it in the glovebox so I always have it. I don’t use it for the other features unless it’s an emergency because it needs so much power in order to jump the car I want to ensure I have all the power I need for that especially when on a trip.

10. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Thanks y'all. These seem very nifty.

Anything I get will be on sale so I'm not scared of the $300 MSRP. I don't think going to be able to get away with a much lower MSRP, though, if I buy one that claims to be able to start a diesel truck. I'd rather have too much than too little.

It looks like the compressor and inverter add quite a bit of bulk, too, compared to the more basic models, so I'll have to skip these features.

While camping (at least camping somewhere remote) I'd probably reserve it for emergency. We don't need more juice for camping.

11. davido

davido Well-Known Member

Jumpstart packs are useful for at least the two things you mentioned, but have less capacity than the batteries in a vehicle or trailer. So if your trailer has a battery, use it for charging your devices. Use the jump starter for emergencies. It will not have sufficient capacity for charging the trailer's battery. But if you get into a situation where your car battery has insufficient charge to turn over the engine, those packs can deliver enough to get you started again.

Snow likes this.
  12. brettstoner

brettstoner Active Member

I am not real impressed with jump starters. Most of them have a small SLA battery and limited output. I usually ended up replacing the battery every couple years. Plus it's one more thing you have to maintain and keep charged or you will kill the battery.

The Schumaker listed earlier has a $30 12v 18ah battery and $20 200w inverter but sells for a premium price. Those small SLA batteries just don't last if you deep cycle them to power things. I prefer using the trailer battery and appropriate gauge jumper cables for the length. You already have and maintain the battery. Might as well use it. Same with using the newer Lipo jump packs. Keeping them stored at 100% shortens the lifespan. And I doubt the cheap internal chargers are properly balance charging the individual cells.

I don't mean to sound so negative, some people love them and use them, but you just have to recognize their limitations and keep up on maintenance of them. Otherwise when you need them the most the battery won't have the capacity you need.

Coulter Wood likes this.
  13. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Most of the ones I've been looking at have lithium ion batteries. I'm embarrassed that I didn't realize some didn't. See? I said that I don't know what I don't know!

Maybe these things aren't ideal, but is there a better way to jump start your TV when you're in the middle of nowhere?

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I also carry a set of old fashion booster cables in the truck..

15. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I do too. But they won't help if there's not another vehicle. :p

16. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

the SLA battery in my Jump N Carry can be replaced. But next time I will buy a compact and lightweight Lithium jump pack

17. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I would never go where we camp without one. One use more than pays for itself. Can’t use jumper cables when you’re the only vehicle for miles. The new ones are so compact there’s no downside

18. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Thanks all. It is hard to compare these--there doesn't appear to be much standardization. I've concluded that (1) lithium is better for size and capacity, (2) bigger is better, and (3) best to find one with positive user reviews of it with my particular (or similar) vehicle...o_O. (Most of the well-reviewed models are targeted at cars and don't claim to have the capacity for diesels.)