June 2019 - So, what did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Well, I replaced the water pump for my sink, because I apparently did a poor job winterizing it, even after my advice here on the Portal that anti-freeze isn't necessary.

I also bought a valve that I could close on the outlet side of the pump, that way if I'm connected to city water with a leaky pump, I can at least prevent water from getting to the pump.

My wife wasn't pleased that "shopping in Stratford" meant finding a local RV parts dealer and a trip to the Canadian Tire.

nineoaks2004 and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

It happens. I thought about isolating the pump so it can be removed, then thought when the old one breaks ill do that. Im getting lazzy the older i get.

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Karma will get you every time.

4. LittleBrother

LittleBrother New Member

Two trips so far this year, both without issues.

This month I ordered a replacement axle, upgrading from 2500# to 3500# now that I found out I've been towing overweight.
    Minor fixes include reinforcing the A/C cover that was starting to fall apart, re-purposing the switch for the step light (that didn't work) to turn on a battery level meter, and replacing the broken plastic lip that holds the door threshold in place with some small aluminum angle.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok so trip in 10 days, so instead of redoing the abs roof, i just slapped some eternabond on it for now, i figure removing it will be eaisier after the season, give it time to degrade more. Lol. Also does anyone carry there grey water tote on the top of the pop up? It takes up an absurd anount of room in the front storage box. Was thinking of strapping it to the rails on the roof.

BikeNFish likes this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Repaired a small seam at the edge of the roof, installed some shelving in a cabinet, finally washed it.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I used to strap it to the lid of the front storage box with some ratchet straps. I put a sheet of that tacky rubber mat (aka scoot guard) under it to prevent scratches and shifting during transit.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

the driver side back tail light was out on the camper - replaced the bulb today. Turned on the fridge, checked the tires. Will stock up the camper tomorrow and then we will be ready to head out Thursday to beat the beach traffic going over the Chesapeake bay bridge.

LittleBrother and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Opened it up once we got it on the patio. Thankfully no issues getting it out of it's winter spot in the yard (for those who may not remember or are new here, last year when we pulled it out a sink hole appeared under one of the tires). Got the mattresses back in and made up for my son's friends who were spending the night because they were helping him with his blood drive the next day and had to be up by 6:30 am. The next night it poured but all was dry and cozy in the pup. As a matter of fact my son has been sleeping in it ever since.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

First trip ever last night. Got the ceiling screwed to the wood struts after they fell out of the foam insulation. Got a piece of plywood to put between the dinette benches, just have to cut 8 inches off. Found out the electricity works well and the AC works great. My conduit bunk end supports for the rear bunk were too short, so I'll have to redo them.

momofEAP and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. BigAl

BigAl Member

Took our first trip ever with the PUP over Memorial Day, and came home with a list of things I need/want/might do. We're taking a 7 day trip over the 4th of July so I'm trying to get ahead of the game. Since getting home:

1. Cleaned the floor again - no idea how 2 kids and a dog get so much mud and dirt in a camper [::)]
    2. Installed a USB/power port outlet with a voltage meter so we can charge our phones in the camper
    USB 2.jpg
    3. Added a battery cutoff switch to the tongue so I don't need to unhook the wires while travelling - I only have a 4-wire connection on the TV so the CO alarm draws current constantly
    Switch.jpg
    4. Reinforced the galley - the counter was pulling apart from the frame and some of the trim was falling off, so I replaced a bunch of the staples with screws
    5. Our door pops open when we lay on the front bunk, so I attached a bungee cord to the door and the cabinet next to the door with electric cable staples
    Door.jpg
    6. Got my license plate for the PUP - don't need one in WI, but sounds like MI requires one and since we're heading there next month I'd rather not get into a trailer licensing law discussion with a police officer while on vacation. The PUP didn't have a title, so I got a bonded title from the WI DOT - more money, but I want the peace of mind of not being bothered on vacation. I also got a license plate frame for it - https://www.cafepress.com/+id_rather_be_camping_popup_frame,197576681

On the down side, on the back corner of the roof the side panel is pulling apart from the back panel. When I looked underneath to see how I could pull it back together, I found that the back panel board of the roof is half rotten. :shocked: So after our trip I'll have to see what I can do to replace that board - I've already found a few posts here on how to do it and it doesn't look too difficult, just time-consuming.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

This sounds like the frame is flexing when you get into the front bunk.

Do you:
    • Have front stabilizers?
    • Have you put them down, and deployed them so there is no "give" on them? (Mine comes with a metal pole about 18" long that you use as a level to force the stab down a hair more so it's solidy down, others have screws, etc)
    My first few trips, I didn't put enough down force on the Stabs when I deployed them, so the camper shifted alot. Really noticable when sleeping and someone turns over (the 7 year old was a restless sleeper)and the whole camper shakes. Finally figured out I had to force it into contact with the ground. Not enough to move the camper (I'm not trying to use the Stabs to level the camper), but enough to prevent it from moving.

HappyTraveler and Be-Ce like this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

It could also be the wall flexing above the frame. Get a carpenter's square and a decent straight edge and inspect the floor/wall joint and the floor/frame as well to see what's moving when a load is placed on the bunk.

14. BigAl

BigAl Member

No front stabilizers; it's the wall flexing above the frame when we lay on the front bunk.

Over Memorial Day we discovered the problem - climb into bed, and I get asked 'Why didn't you close the door behind you?' For the first night we just hooked the dog leash around the door handle to hold it shut which works fine when everyone's in the PUP, but not so much if you need to go out to use the bathroom. :shocked: The next day I sat outside while my wife would climb onto the bunk - clearly see the wall next to the door flex up when there's someone on the bunk, which pulls the door latch away from the frame just enough not to keep closed. I tried sticking my bottle jack under the front of the camper as a front stabilizer, but it's the wall that's moving, not the frame.

I need to pull apart the cabinet and wall to see how it's attached to the frame; I've seen other posts here talking about the problem. This is just my temporary fix - of course, over the years some of my temporary fixes turn into permanent fixes, so we'll see what happens. :smiley:

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I finished packing the TT for a 3-dnight trip to a Sister on the Fly event, except for the last minute additions tomorrow morning. Hitched it up and parked in front of the house to make leaving easier. I'm going to drive the other vehicle to pick up the friend going with me, since it's not handy to park the TT/TV near her house.
    It seems like a strange pack, with the dinette converted to a bed, only two small totes of food (not in their usual space under the table) - Courtenay and I have run the mental check lists a couple of times. If we don't have something, we'll manage.

16. kitphantom

We made it to camp, we’re in an independent (non-franchise) RV park near Ruidoso, NM. Water/electric site, nice it’s been in the upper 80s and our site is in full sun all day.
    This is definitely a learning trip, with the dinette in bed mode. Next time my friend comes along, I need to refine how I carry food and such. Too much shuffling, and the aisle space next to the bed I’m using makes it difficult to retrieve things from the floor, my back is already mad.
    Woke up in the middle of the night with a light on over the sink, which turned out to be on the GFI outlet tell tale. The other outlets all still worked, so I’m not sure what was going on. I was able to reset it this morning.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Well I finally got some good weather and time to open up the camper and do some things.
    I replaced the paperthin and stick galley cabinet with a good plywood one. Changed the plastic double sink to a single stainless steel one and replaced the 3 burner cooktop with a recessed 2 burner one ........ now we have storage and counter space.
    IMG_0649.JPG
    Also removed the too large table and turned the seats around for one long bench. Will close in the space in the middle for more storage inside. Just have to move the heat vent a little. Now using 2 small tables. More room, easier to sit down, watch TV, and get into the front bunk.
    IMG_0593.JPG A small cabinet with a drawer will go into the space on the left.

Biggest thing is wife is very happy. Used cabinets and countertop, surplus sink and cooktop ........I spent less than $225.00

Only problem for me now is wife wants me to continue the backsplash around the whole camper.LOL

18. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

19. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I installed a new radio system with CD player , got the unit ready for company to stay in for a few days. Today I started cleaning the unit after company left. Lots of rain slowed me down)

20. kitphantom

Got home from our weekend trip - before the wind got really bad, for which I was thankful. We got the high-priority things unpacked, and the rest I can do as I have a chance.
    I confused the refrigerator on the trip, by placing a couple of blue ice packs on the top self, right net to the slider thermostat (I believe it is actually a thermistor). The freezer stayed a bit warmer than we like- in the low to mid 20s, since the 'stat was kept cold by the proximity of the ice packs. Lesson learned.
    We need to modify the dinette bed conversion, the mattress topper and bedding all moved to one end and off the bed every night. I found a knit sheet on Amazon that is actually not "deep pocket" style, so I hope that will help. (The mattress topper is on top of the vinyl seat cushions.)