June 2019 - So, what did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Jun 1, 2019.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

While we had a calm day, we washed the awning, again. It was mildewed again - every time it rains, water seeps in from the ends, so it's dripping when we open it. Using a Magic Eraser mop and dish washing detergent worked as well as the more irritating spray awning cleaners, so we'll stick with that method.
    Removed the tube for the sewer hoses, it had "ears" on it which rubbed the paint off on the back. Courtenay sawed off the ears, and moved the mounting back an inch to prevent further damage.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  2. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

DW and I got away for a quick Father's Day weekend. We met some friends from a Meetup group and made a few new ones.

The stereo in our camper when we bought it had seen better days. So I ordered a new Jensen and got it installed. The install was a challenge, but with DW's help we got it done with a minimum of cussing and other off-color remarks. The new stereo sounds great. We rocked out to some good 70s music while drinking Sunday morning coffee. ;)

IMG950222[1].jpg

We've also been having trouble with TV reception or lack thereof. After doing some research and viewing some YouTube, I had my multi-meter and went to work. From my research I was expecting the coax cable from the roof to the antenna head to be bad. But as it turned out it was just some loose connections. Last night I was able to lie in bed and watch the tube in the bedroom for the first time. Watched a rerun of Hill Street Blues.

neighbormike likes this.
  3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Yeah that was another benefit... aside from losing the sag of the bad axle, the replacement was about an inch and a half taller. I don't currently plan to get new wheels (just did that last year) but it's nice to not be riding so low.

4. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Nice looking install @kcsa75 - new speakers too?? Just curious - none of the factory installed speakers seem too great.

5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

No new speakers, but new radio made a huge improvement, even the $15 cheapies on the outside of the trailer.

neighbormike likes this.
  6. Garrity

Garrity Member

I bought a new battery and headed camping for Father's day. Had to put someone else's camp fire out, as they left it still hot and plenty of trash around as well. We picked up and placed the bag in the dumpster that was about 300 yards away. We had headed out to scavenge some firewood and luckily found it before the fire got out of hand.
    Came up with a game plan to install the solar system we bought. Will be installing everything for our 4th of July trip since we will have hookups for the power tools. I plan to keep the panel mobile to follow the sun. Also have a quick disconnect so we can store it inside if we need to leave to avoid theft and also make it easy when traveling. Didn't want the extra weight on the roof and also didn't want to put any holes in it either.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    kitphantom, mpking and neighbormike like this.
  7. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Here's a trick I came up with to keep the honest people honest. I layed a dog run cable in with the solar panel wires (Just taped on). I put a loop and a padlock on each end. Then I hook one side to the camper frame, one side to the handle on the solar panel.

upload_2019-6-18_8-40-27.png
    upload_2019-6-18_8-40-48.png

upload_2019-6-18_8-41-37.png

HappyTraveler and Garrity like this.
  8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@Garrity - similar to mpking, we just run a cable to lock our solar panel in camp. We're in and out so much there's no way I'd want to have to pack it up every time, nor lose charging time (we're often out and away for most of a day).
    We usually attach one end of the cable to the frame of the camper, running the look at one end through the other, then lock it to the panel, which actually has slots for the lock. The cable does double-duty in that it helps mark the power cord path, though it would be handier if it was a high-viz color.
    We don't bother to lock the older set of panels, which we use to charge the Goal Zero Yeti 150 separately, but I don't leave the Yeti out charging if we're not there, at least in a regular camping set-up. I did leave it out when I was at a Sisters on the Fly even in the spring, when we had the entire campground reserved.

Garrity likes this.
  9. tfischer

I just got a solar suitcase this season and do something similar. I have 3/8 coated airline cable that I used to use for another application... you don't even need two padlocks though: just loop the cable around something (your camper, a tree, etc) and then loop it through itself. Then padlock the other end to your solar panel (or vise versa, you could loop it around your panel and padlock it at the other end too).

A bolt cutters would make quick work of cutting this, but at least it will stop the unprepared grab and go.

10. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

True. The two padlocks is a tradeoff of having the wire woven into the wire harness I made. If the cable was free, then a big loop that you thread thru itself makes sense. but if you've woven it in, it's impractical.

11. tfischer

I'm not quite sure what that means... I used wire crimps on mine which make a loop at each end. There's plenty of room to run the cable around some fixed object and then feed it back through the loop. Are you saying your loops are too small to make this happen?

12. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

@tfischer, I made a wire harness by binding the powercords and the cable together. You can see it in this picture. (Black mark where cable meets red power cord)
    [​IMG]

I'd have to loop the entire harness. I'm not saying I couldn't do it, it's just more difficult that what I'm doing now. It's a problem of my own making, but I like having them in a harness, so it's easy to coil up when I'm done.

13. tfischer

Ah, gotcha. I keep mine separate... sometimes its more convenient to hook the PV to a nearby tree or something, and just have the relatively thinner power wire make the full run back to the pup. But I do like the "run one wire" convenience of your method.

For power I made up a 15' and 25' extension cord with the 2-wire plugs that the solar systems use. That gives me flexibility to have the PV as little as 15' away or as much as 40' away, with 25' as a middle option. Originally I was going to make two 20' cords but decided having the staggered flexibility would be nice to avoid excess wire runs where possible.

14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I really wanted a place to store bread, cbhips, etc., in the FnR so the dogs couldn't get them but I wouldn't have to move them around constantly. I've been looking at shelving ideas for pups, but I have limited counter space and that shelving would get in the way of cooking (yes, I cook inside).

So, I have an Amazon order on the way. I found some fruit baskets that hang on a cupboard door or door. They are tall enough to fit a bag of chips without squishing, but have a short front so you can easily pull things out. With my roof, I can hang over the door hangers from it so these baskets will hang from the ceiling when I'm camped. When I am traveling, I can just set them on the ground or bed. No fuss or muss! They are arriving today, so I will post a photo in the next couple days.

HappyTraveler and kitphantom like this.
  15. Toedtoes

They work great!
    IMG_20190620_184330-1248x1248.jpg IMG_20190620_184325-1248x1248.jpg

16. CarlaCB

CarlaCB Member

I've had my first PUP less than a month now. What I've done so far is to read this forum for dozens of hours, set up and break down the pop up at least 4 times, and made a one-night shakedown trip to my nearest local park. I've also spent hours practicing hitching and backing up. Working on the actual camper, I've bought (and learned to use) chocks and Lynx levelers, bought new rubber tips for my shepherd's poles and installed them, bought replacement lenses for 4 outside lights, ordered replacements for the bed slides, one of which was cracked and broken, and sorted through all the equipment left behind by the prior owners, to figure out what I need and what is jut taking up space. I'm sure there's more but you get the idea. Just getting it set up for use this summer.

17. CarlaCB

CarlaCB Member

Toedtoes - can you share the brand/name of these? I've been looking on Amazon but can't find ones that hang the way these do. Thanks.

momofEAP likes this.
  18. Toedtoes

CarlaCB likes this.
  19. CarlaCB

CarlaCB Member

20. Toedtoes

You're welcome!