June 2020 - What did you do for your camper?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Jun 1, 2020.

1. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

Installed a 12v accessory outlet, did the PWM fan mod, and working on a fridge baffle. We had the fridge cranked last trip in much cooler weather. Hopefully this makes a difference. There is nothing directing air over the condenser right now, just a good 6" dead air space.

Still have some more sealing to do.

2. Byn2ools

Byn2ools New Member

Made a place for a mirror and shelf behind sink

Attached Files:

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I canceled my trip to Grand Canyon in a couple of weeks, just too many variables. However, I added a fall trip for a SOTF event, hoping things have leveled out better by the end of Oct. That means the TT will sit until our trip at the end of August. We pulled some of the supplies back into the house, ones we didn't want to leave in the heat, it's been close to 100* inside the trailer this week. I only use the a/c when I'm working out there.
    The cancellation does give us time to construct shelves in my closet, since the grid-style collapsed on last weekend's trip. We have a plan, at least. We went to the RV delaer to buy new bed lifters, but they were closed today.
    We also need to check out the rear video camera, which did not work for me last weekend.

4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I got my clipper back from the shop. Now to do a thorough clean/disinfect.

Sjm9911 and kitphantom like this.
  5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I changed the porch light with an rv motion sensor porch light.

6. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Not sure if I needed safety chains on my 5th wheel. Here in PA. I don’t think you need them on a traditional 5th wheel coupler but I use a Anderson Ultimate hitch. Which is more a standard ball and gooseneck setup. So I installed them anyhow. Figured Better safe than sorry

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Just pulled our pup out of mothballs for an upcoming 3 day camp....Looks like it survived the winter well. No holes in canvas or mattresses, no unwanted residents in attendance, & so far the only repair I've had to make is one of the wires pulled out of the crimp-on connector at the water pump switch...took me longer to find my crimping pliers than it did to fix it. Water tank is sanitizing right now, will flush & fill it tomorrow, & load up the gear we don't keep in it during the winter.

8. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

Finished my fridge baffle and the sealing. Got around to polishing the aluminum diamond plate on the front and back. The rest of the camper was clean, but those water stained sheets of aluminum made it look grimy. Some rubbing compound and a wool bonnet on the DA polisher took care of the water stains. Polishing compound took off the haze of the rubbing compound, and a coat of aluminum safe wax made it gleam.

9. goofygrin

goofygrin New Member

Bought on Monday, lifted on Tuesday, new tires on Wednesday (and backed up our steep driveway into the garage on the first shot!).

Getting out this weekend for a shake down run.

Attached Files:

kitphantom likes this.
  10. TheLight75

TheLight75 New Member

Was busy for us:

• Restitched 3 ft of canvas seam that ripped open in Sept due to dry rot
    • Replaced all of the trailer driving light wiring including new rear lights with reverse
    • Installed USB charger with power monitor and new bright LED light in the trunk
    • Replaced all bulbs with LEDs
    • New spare tire & propane tank covers
    • New solar shades for the bunks
    • New custom curtains and valances
    • New mini-fridge for the porch area

11. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member Diamond Supporting Member

Finally decided to move the camper and take it for an approximately 30 mile drive. I greased the bearings and checked the tires. I didn't see anything with the condition to cause me concern so they'll stay another year. Unfortunately, I don't expect that I'll get out again this year so no rush to do much of anything. I usually camp when attending family gatherings but the virus has all but killed those plans this year. My focus now is on fishing.
    IMG_2067.JPG
    I installed a new Andersen aluminum ball mount and set it so that the camper was almost perfectly level, but with a slight pitch forward. Ran it about 15 miles on a secondary road at 45mph and, oddly, it felt like the camper was moving the truck around a bit. I was surprised as, when I bought the camper, I had a Tacoma at the time and it towed like a dream. However, when I got on the highway (65mph) it seemed to "track" rather than push.
    My curiosity about whether or not my tailgate would hit my newly installed power jack was satisfied today.
    IMG_2073.JPG
    I'll just have to wait until I unhitch to remove whatever it is I'll need out of the bed. Oh well.
    When I got home I decided to finally put this scale to use and weighed at the jack stand rather than the coupler.
    IMG_2079.JPG IMG_2076.JPG
    I'm happy with where things are at.
    And, finally, I decided to adjust the level bubble on the electric jack.
    IMG_2080.JPG
    I'll continue to rely on my AccuLevel for side to side but I'd like to be able to depend on the jack bubble for front to rear, rather than have to wait until I can open the camper door and place a level at the fridge base. All in all a good day.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Got a new yearly Inspection sticker on it

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

We took ours out for a 3 day walk, with the grandson, to a county park.

14. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I decided to paint by door window frame. Was first going to paint on door but what the heck it’s only screwed on so I took it off. Corner of glass broke. Painted frame glued glass together and glass to frame. If it had glue before it was dried out. NO sealant or caulking was done when installed at the factory. Odd. Got I almost all back together. Hard to hold with no help so I taped the inner unpainted frame to the door then held the other as I started the screws. All went well. Removed the inner tape and installed the last screws. Last screw broke glass in middle. Oh well. Always wanted to replace it with something better.

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

New bed lifters are ordered at the dealer. They have been crazy busy selling new campers and RVs of every size, and availability and shipments of some supplies have been interrupted. They had empty shelves in some areas of the store. The parts guy said he's had to add suppliers, and it wasn't until the 4th one he tried yesterday that he found the lifters we needed in stock.
    We have decided to just build shelves in my closet, all our attempts - we were on version 3 or 4 - to use metal shelving of some sort have been failures. We ventured off to Lowe's today, for the first time since Covid-19 began, picking up most of the things that had been added to a growing list for the big box hardware stores. Found plywood that should work, because we didn't have enough in the garage. Hoping we have enough fasteners and polyurethane to finish the project.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. mk4

mk4 Member

Finally got around to modifying the tongue. It was the last thing I needed to do to get the pup usable.

My pup came with a single 12V battery. I switched to two 6V batteries. It wouldn't fit on the tongue, so I temporarily just put them in under the bench dinette. Every month, I would put a charger on the battery, but that meant I would have to pop the top.

[​IMG]

Had to grind and cut away the old supports. They were 1/6" angle iron. I moved up to 1/8" angle iron. Also put the supports on top of the frame, the old supports were welded on the bottom.

[​IMG]

Some welds came out decent, others not so good.

[​IMG]

Also added a battery cutoff switch.

Ductape likes this.
  17. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

looks good and Should work great for charging and maintenance anything to make it easier,and faster. In other words like my Son tells me to work smarter not dumber :) thanks for sharing

18. Toedtoes

Spent the past two days cleaning the clipper. All hard surfaces got a bleach wipe down. All soft surfaces got a rug cleaner and vaccuum. This was to eliminate residue from the thieves.

Letting the bleach air out before I finish moving stuff in.

I did get the new mattress toppers and bedding made up on the cabover bed, and new blanket covers for the couch and dinette seats put on. Have to wash the fridge shelves and stove rings. Put on the new stove knobs - they aren't a perfect fit, but work. Replaced stolen led battery lights I had installed - have to get more batteries to finish them. The dinette table is cleaned and ready to reinstall - they stole the leg, so I have to size a new one. Then it's loading up all the household and camping gear I've replaced. And I still have to install the new stereo and speakers, get my ex-boss to check his ignition mod to make sure it didn't get messed up, and figure out why the front fuel tank intake hose is leaking.

kitphantom and Sjm9911 like this.
  19. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Hope it gets back up to speed soon! I know its got to be hard.

20. Toedtoes

Thanks. It's definitely better as I put it back together. I'm not focused on what they did anymore - but rather on making it mine again.

One thing I realized today is that I won't have as much stuff as I did.

And I have my new toilet! (Can't stress how nice it is to know I won't be sitting on the same toilet that they used...)

Sjm9911 likes this.