June 2021 - What did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Jun 1, 2021.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

For those who need it - here's your monthly battery charge reminder

My next trip begins this coming Monday, so I'm in the packing the camper stage. So far, I have enough main meals for the trip + 1, and some of the other food in the fridge and freezer. The small box of spices and herb mixtures has been updated; after how ever many years of toting the old ones around, they just needed to be replaced. (Nice to have a few, although we don't cook a huge amount from scratch on trips, it gives us options.)
    I'm getting bedding for the extra bed washed up, so will make that today or tomorrow.
    Waiting on some last minute supplies, bag for one stove top oven and tiny length of hose should arrive today.
    It's sort of nice to not have to be doing mods or repairs, just getting ready for a trip.

Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  2. Groomporter

Groomporter Active Member

I was rearranging the garage so we can fit our new electric scooters in it after we pick them up next weekend (road trip!) and discovered the missing part from the roof rack I'm using for the solar panel. I had whanged on a metal bracket thing from the hardware store to make a part to replace it, but I figured it was probably still in the garage somewhere... The part I modified works, but I'll be happy to use the original.

I also discovered the Bluetti along with it's various adapter cords fits perfectly in a repurposed wooden box I had sitting around. I could drill a hole in the box to charge it without removing it, but best to remove it from the box while charging especially in warm weather.

The wife also wanted me to label the various cables and patch cords for running and charging devices so she knows what is what at a glance, so I ordered a couple packs of these velcro-like plastic labels. Probably work well for labeling other things as well.

Sjm9911, neighbormike and kitphantom like this.
  3. kitphantom

I lightly spray painted the inside of my larger light bottle with white Krylon, since the new solar lights I bought last year were just too bright. I was horrified to look out the window last fall and realize they were shining brightly to the middle of the camp road, from the edge of the trailer on the opposite side from the road. The bottles are meant to be marker lights, just enough to safely see the steps and such in darker campsites. I doubt we'll need them in the KOA next week, but the site we have at Grand Canyon is apt to be dark. [It's across the camp road from the site that is our favorite.]
    All the bedding is washed for the extra bed, and my husband will put the sheets on for me. I'm just going to leave the rest of the bedding folded and stacked on the bed, so my friend can bring her own blanket(s).
    I looked at the temperatures predicted for the trip, at the moment, it seems like the lows may be a good 10* colder than I'd expect this time of year, although the days will be nice. Layers are always handy, bedding and clothing.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I evaluated the exterior and disgustedly decided it needs to be washed again after only three trips out. Ugh. Super Duper silicon wax didn't do jack! Actually thinking about looking up one of those mobile RV wash places... I really hate washing that rig. Also decided I need to clean the awning.

Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  5. kitphantom

We have our TT detailed 2 or 3 times a year - I can't do it anymore, and Courtenay has plenty of things to do on his days off. We have them do the roof treatment ours needs at the same time. For us, another bonus is that they bring their own treated water - ours is so hard that water spots and lime deposits are a real possibility of we do it ourselves. Whatever they've been using as a polish/wax seems to do well. Decals still age, but the siding looks pretty darn good after 6-1/2 years living outside in the high desert.
    We have them detail the truck at least once a year, usually twice. One visit, done for a few months.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. kitphantom

The trailer and truck are packed, except for the last minute things I'll put in tomorrow morning, and my friend's stuff, to load in when I pick her up. I tried to make it as simple as possible, but at some point, things just got put in, wherever they fit. We fired up the 413 Coleman camp stove, and it seems to be working great, but I'm taking the 425 as well, since I want to do most cooking outside, including using the stove top oven to bake and to reheat frozen meals while dry camping. Also taking my single burner propane stove, so may use it or not. Neither of the white gas stoves got use much, or at all, int he last year, so just in case, I want to have a backup. (I'm not taking all the maintenance supplies we have for them.) My new cooking table is packed where I can reach it, it's about 30# and clumsy.
    This is the first time I've taken a sewing machine camping, and we're both bringing our hand crank machines. Mine is in a modern tote, so pretty easy to pack and move around; my friend's in it's original case from 1952, which she's going to "pad" to protect. Those will travel in the truck, back seat cargo area.
    I'm hoping to get to her place at 7 a.m. It's garbage day in both neighborhoods, and I'd prefer to get loaded and gone before we have to dodge the huge trucks.

momofEAP and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. generok

I deep cleaned the interior. Took the carpet out of the garage area and pressure washed it. Vac the floors, wet Swiffer the floors. Hung up a wall mounted toilet paper holder and replaced the floor stand. The weight savings there will be helpful. Washed the shower really well. Those Bathroom Magic Erasers are awesome! Cleaned and lubed some of the sway and WDH components. I refuse to wash it after only three trips, so maybe next weekend... maybe. Oh, I fixed one of the burners on the stove. Last year at the end, I noticed one burner askew. So, I looked at it and thought it was peened over into the steel mount. So, I put a little epoxy on there last season and it held nice. Well, last trip I used that burner and the epoxy burnt off. So, I was working it today and discovered it actually has a little tiny screw holding it on the steel support. I looked in the bottom of the stove basin and actually found that little screw, got it to screw back in the hole and the burner is good as new! I also did a screw check inside. So. Many. Screws!

momofEAP, Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  8. Groomporter

I got the bearings repacked today before it got too hot.

I was hoping to order a spare tire too, but no luck. Tires Plus recommended Fleet Farm. But I went to Discount Tires based on a suggestion from an RV group elsewhere and since it's closer than the nearest Fleet Farm. I brought in one of the wheels so they could measure it themselves. They said they could order a tire to fit the rims, but could not identify the rim to order a spare. They suggested Grandpa may have used automobile rims when he built the pop-up in the early 1960s.

Sjm9911 and kitphantom like this.
  9. kitphantom

I’m out camping in it with a friend. So far. So good. It looks like the plastic stove vent we replaced a couple of years ago will need to be replaced again. Both latches that hold the flap shut are gone and the center plastic piece is broken. Will research metal versions when I get home.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. generok

I know I FREQUENTLY forget to turn down the latches. Looked in my master catalog and can only find one vendor, VentLine, and produce V2111-11 or V211-13 as a replacement vent. I could not find one in the catalog made of metal though. I didn't use Google, just my catalog. Good luck!

11. kitphantom

My latches both fell out, on different trips. I remember someone on the FB Retro group replacing their plastic vent with a metal one, but I don’t remember the brand. Not enough internet here to begin my research.

12. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

I’ll be installing a 100w solar kit from Renogy. Then at the end of the month headed out to OBX.

generok and neighbormike like this.
  13. LilRed

LilRed Active Member

Cracked open the bunk fan that was broken. Fan would only turn on high speed and vary wildly in speed and grind, and the LED needed a thump to work. Not a bad fix, the fan needed to be backed out on its spindle, and the led power pack was being fed from a bad ground splitter. Seems the oem uses a circuit screw down header and bent the posts together to the ground wire. They didn’t quite get the solder across both pins to make a connection.
    Happy to have another working bunk fan!

kitphantom likes this.
  14. kitphantom

I dumped the tanks tonight and the simple piece of wood with a slot to keep the outside cable connection from turning worked great. So much easier on my cranky hands.

neighbormike likes this.
  15. kitphantom

My friend and I moved from Flagstaff to Mather at Grand Canyon, only to realize the wildfire smoke from the fire along 180 between Flagstaff and Valle was too much for us (asthma) and getting worse. So, got a reservation on the road, packed up again and started toward home. We did get to see the Canyon, but between heat (they’re expecting record temps below the rim in the next few days) and smoke, it wasn’t going to be fun.
    We have a few small repairs, the stove vent, and the fresh tank drain. The drip at the end of the drain extension seems to be worse, I added more water to fill the tank than I expected. Unless I remember to check, it’s not noticeable on most surfaces.

16. Groomporter

Picked up some chrome spray paint I saw in Napa Auto Parts and gave the hub caps a couple coats after sanding the big rust spots. Not the original mirror finish, but looks a lot better. Off to show the trailer to someone this afternoon who will lend us auto spray equipment. He'll give his professional assessment of how much more sanding I need to do and how much paint & primer it will need.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021 at 10:40 AM
    generok, momofEAP, Sjm9911 and 3 others like this.
  17. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

A couple weeks ago, DW and 8-year-old granddaughter hooked up and took the camper to a carwash and got it cleaned up. The electric jack was having a hard time and I figured the battery was going bad. So I brought the battery home and put it on the charger. A week later, it still showed 12.88 volts. Then I turned my attention to the converter thinking maybe it wasn't charging. I watched a few Youtubes -- which I don't normally have the patience for -- and learned a few things to check.

Flash forward to this past weekend, I put the freshly charged battery back and the jack was still acting up. In fact when we got the campground on Friday evening I had to crank it by hand. So Saturday morning, I go out to take a look. I start with the battery and it turns out the only problem was corrosion on the terminals. I used a wire brush on the battery terminals and the connectors and thought my problems were over.

But I reached over to try the jack and it was still creaking and squeaking. So I started to take the cover off and realized there was only one screw holding it on and it was loose. I opened my tool pouch there was the other screw. Then it dawned on me that I had started taking the jack apart on our last trip and got sidetracked and never went back to it. Turns out it was all loose connections. Thank God cause I wasn't up for cranking that jack anymore.

18. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Lol, wasn't expecting that ending. But sounds like something i would do. Glad its fixed.

kcsa75 likes this.
  19. kitphantom

Safely home from our shortened trip, it was fun though. This morning, I got the bed in the trailer are stripped, and the twin bed back to being a dinette, and a few other things done, before it got too hot. [Our high yesterday was 100*, we may beat that today.]
    I ordered a new stove vent, a different manufacturer than the original and replacement. The Ventline brand ones lasted 3-4 years in our high UV climate, we'll see how the JR Products one does.

neighbormike likes this.
  20. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Purchased & installed the a/c silencer kit... won’t be until August that I have another electric site though :sad: