Just booked last night of my season...mini IA PUP Rally anyone?

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Hacksaw, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

I just booked my final night for the season...excited and sad at the same time. Booked site 21 at Pilot Knob State Park near Forest City IA for October 22. It is a guys night so DW and the kids will be home. Any IA PUPpers interested in joining us? We are a pretty tame bunch but will probably have a few barley pops and play some cards sit around the fire and basically just "recharge" our batteries.Looked like there were plent of sites open and it is cheap $15 for the night including the reservation fee!

2. jamona2311

jamona2311 New Member

I was beginnin to wonder how close forest city IA was to SW wisconsin when i read" guys weekend" :( Oh well. :p LOL Id love to join a rally sometime. I think it would be sooo fun to meet some othere pop up portal crazy campers like myself. Oh well. :D I think Im done for the season anyway except for trying winter camping in "camp backyard"
    Have fun. I hope you have a great weekend with weather like this. It was a great weekend to camp in SW Wi!

3. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Well so the trip was shall we say "interesting" After a late departure yesterday we arrived at Pilot Knob only to find that the water had been shut off ! after a call to the ranger I discovered that the water by the park office was still on so I filled the tank there and went about setting up. After setting up camp and preparing for a fire we realize that we had forgotten to stop @ a friends (IA requires all firewood to be from IA or inspected) and get IA firewood...argghhh!!! Oh well only a few miles to town so Jarhead(prior service Marine friend) takes truck to get a couple bundles in town.45 minutes later I get a text message-no wood. In the downtime from him leaving I decided to take a short bike ride to "vent" and find a pile of firewood at the entrance to the CG free for the taking :) Called him and said come back. Then I went to light the water heater (for doing dishes) only to find that the pressure relief valve doesn't hold pressure (rendering the water that was the beginning of my frustration useless) because apparently I don't actually have a water heater bypass. Finally as the sun went down (as did the malt beverages) uber nerd (computer tech friend) figures we should get the furnace going so it is warm when we call it a night...no problem I've used that before I know it works...only it doesn't. Blows cold air perpetually but won't light.Oh well I say "man up" and have another beer. Steaks were great,fire was awesome,recharge was needed and well received. All in all the guys night was a success, I learned a bunch about the ntm PUP,had a good time with friends and got one more night camping for the year.

4. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

Dang Hacksaw, I missed your earlier post. I would have been up for a mini IA rally and your not too far away from Siouxland. I closed and winterized my camper last week after my last solo outing. DW, DD, and DS were too busy with school activities and such but I cant get enough of camping it seems. Sorry you had so many issues on your trip but remember even the worst camping trip is better than the best day at work. With winter just around the corner I'll be staying on the portal to get my camping fix, just waiting for spring and the next chance to get out. Maybe a spring IA Rally would be the ticket.

5. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Who says Dang? and Woot? I now use those in my vocabulary, ya'all??? [8D]

6. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

[:D] dang, i just got called out, for typing dang. Woot Woot! Just trying to keep it family friendly, Ya'all [:D]