Just bought 2007 Fleetwood Highlander Niagara

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by SPopupFamily, Apr 26, 2014.

1. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

Hello! We just purchased a 2007 Fleetwood Highlander Niagara at a really good price. We bought this because although we have tent camped on the ground for years we now have 2 year old twins and I wanted to be up off the ground and have a toilet/shower.

So, does anyone have any advice for us before our first trip? We bought a new battery, a canvas shop is repairing a small tear for us. Everything appears to be in excellent shape, the electrics all work, the power lift is great, etc. What else do we need to buy? Our first trip is at a campsite with hookups. Do we need to buy certain hoses to hook things up. What things are nice to have? What is necessary to have? We don't have an awning, any good recommendations for after market awnings?

Thanks so much for your help/advice! Excited to get out there and do some camping and make life-long memories with our girls!

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

White drinking water safe hose, a brass water pressure protection valve to put on the campsite connection. Something to catch the sink drain water, a plastic type mat for by the door, wood for leveling/chocking wheels. Spare tire, jack, lug wrench. Just off the top of my head.

Opps ......almost forgot ......

[:D] Welcome from southeast Connecticut. Glad you stopped by PopUpPortal. Congrats on the N2U PUP. [CP]

3. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

Camp driveway before you go. One night in your NTU PUP will show a lot of things. I believe you have both gray and black water holding tanks so you will need sewer hose to empty them.

Oh Ya welcome from Tacoma WA.

4. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Don't go very far from home for you very first trip. Even though you are seasoned campers, it might be better to stick closer to home as you "shake out the bugs".

Also, don't camp in the rain on your very first trip. Get experience with her in nice weather first.

Have fun!!!!

5. ricko

ricko Member

Welcome and congratulations on your Niagara! I hope you grow to love it as much as we love ours.

Don't go hog wild on gadgets, it's a pretty well tricked out PUP. You'll need a set of blocks to use for leveling and/or a BAL leveler.

I would recommend checking with the previous owner regarding when the bearings were last serviced. If it's been over a year or 3000 miles, it would be best to have them serviced. Any trailer shop and many mechanics can do it, or. You can find instructions here on the portal. The Niagara tends to weigh up to the tolerances of the axle setup so it's important to keep them happy.

Good luck!

Ricko

6. Chileno

Chileno Member

Congatulations on your new pop up-I used to have the same one now sold
    Check air pressure and buy a Bal leveler.

Regards from Chile

7. Carlosrod

Carlosrod New Member

Welcome

As some have suggested, camp driveway is an awesome idea. It will give you an insight as to how things will go out at camp.

Buy yourself a good fire extinguisher. It probably has the original it came with. Check the tires that they are in good order and PSI. Don't go crazy on gadgets. Go out, enjoy yourself and keep a note pad. As things come to mind, jot them down.

You have a real nice Pup there. Treat it well and it will give yo and the family years of enjoyment.
    Once again, Welcome. [CP]

8. moose_mom

moose_mom Member

As a relatively new Niagara owner all I can say is enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! We love ours. We also pack everything in our TV when we travel because I don't want to exceed whatever weight allowance is left and not overburden the axel. I haven't changed over all the lights to LEDs since we often go to CGs with electricity. When we don't, I bought a few LED reading lights from Costco and clip them onto anything they can grab on to. Love having the potty for the middle of the night....haven't tried the shower yet, but I am going to when we have it set up in the backyard before we go on a trip-just to try it out. Can't say that we have found anything to complain about and we can hardly wait to get camping this year.

9. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Congrats on your purchase! I hope to see pics of your new rig soon! You'll love the Niagara, we had one before out hybrid, and loved it. Lots of room, a porcelain commode, and a well built product.

On a side note, if you find that your toilet sensor does not read properly (they often don't), let me know--if it's the same toilet as what our 2010 Niagara had (which I think it is), I have a brand new in the box sensor, that we never installed; we traded in the camper before installing the sensor.

10. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

Thank you so much KMH! Once we get it from the canvas place on Wednesday we are going to try everything out. I'll let you know if the toilet sensor doesn't work!

11. Milktrk

Milktrk New Member

Check the battery make sure it is charged, check the pressure in the tires and make the maiden voyage easy! Write down what you think that you will need.

12. Cyclohexane

Cyclohexane New Member

I just purchased a 2008 Niagara myself and only did camp driveway. What I have added so far BAL leveler, wheel chocks, battery operated fridge (inside) fan, led lights for interior, new battery box (upgraded box to size 31 battery), entryway mat, new cap for water fill and new cap for hose connection. That's it so far, DW is in process of figuring out what she wants to add to furnish the bedding & cookwear.

13. farley.hobson

farley.hobson New Member

Hotdog sticks, I always forget to bring them! Toilet deodorizer. We carry a power extension cord in case we can't reach the power box. Tool box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. campinglovers

campinglovers New Member

Welcome from Iowa!!! Congratulations on your new pup!

15. Ac52engine

Ac52engine New Member

Congrats on your NTU PUP! DW and I got our Coleman Bayside last year and love it! Not sure where you are located but one suggestion would be a locking bracket for your battery. We are located just north of Philly I'm the subs and RV battery theft is very common lately. http://www.b-drvbatterylock.com/balocl.html
    Have fun, DW, DD and future DBaby love camping!

2010 Coleman Bayside
    2007 Chevy Trailblazer
    Me, wife and 3yo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Heady

Heady Active Member

If your Niagara has both black and grey tanks and you are at a full hookup, do not leave your drain valves open on the black tank. If you think about what goes through your black tank, you want to make sure there is plenty of water to push through the solids and paper. A common practice is to once the tanks are somewhat full to open the black to drain, then open the grey to flush out anything that may be stuck in your sewer hose.

17. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

This is a great trip! It is known as the "Black Pyramid". [:(O]