Just bought a TV Tuner for my laptop

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by Chewie48, Jun 24, 2009.

1. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I installed Blaze HDTV 3.5. It works with the drivers already installed with the Pinnacle stick. Like Joe, I have the original software still on the laptop.

http://www.blazevideo.com/hdtv-player/

When installed it is called BlazeDTV.

2. Chewie48

Chewie48 New Member

You are correct in saying the Pinnacle is now owned by Hauppague but this was a recent puchcase (October, 2008) which Hauppauge bought the software and hardware from Pinnacle. In their purchase, they stated they will continue to support the Pinnacle software. So in other words, both software products were created by two different development teams.

From what I read, anytime you pull in HD signals, it will be a huge resource hog. The thing that makes WinTV so bad is it's user interface is not intuitive at all.

These companies seem to focus more of their R&D on hardware than software so either way you would probably be better off buying a 3rd party software solution along side either Pinnacle or Hauppauge or just be happy with the cloogy but workable software that is included.

3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I still think that it is the software not the signal itself that causes "resource hogging".

You can't tell me that HD tvs have a processor in them that is better than 2.5 ghz. Yes they have a dedicated tuner with hardwired interface, which is what the software has to emulate. The better you emulate the hardware interface, the better the software. But there are always better ways of programming.

4. Chewie48

Chewie48 New Member

You said it, Bruce. This is my philosophy on the development team that I'm in charge of and is the reason why my company is so successful.

I just wish every company out there had this same philosophy. [;)]

I was talking to a couple of my developers about the computer TV tuners and they said there are numerous "Free Open Source" software products out there that work pretty good with these tuners.

So, if anyone is interested in doing a little research, I would love to hear what you find as "FREE" is the magic word for me. [:D]

I'll also post anything I find.

5. Bearikens

Bearikens Starlight and firelight ... lighting my way

I've been using a Hauppage analog tuner with my laptop for several years and it did work relatively well...the main memory hog for tv tuners is the size of your computers RAM and video RAM, if the sizes are low the processor begins to use your OS (operating system) swap file on your hard drive to help process the audio and video. I have 1 Gig of RAM, but my video RAM size is only 256 Meg on my laptop. As I have found out with the DTV tuners, the video RAM size and video card driver is more critical.

Concerning antenna mods, keep in mind that any breaks in the coax (connectors or pass throughs) increases the attenuation (restricts) of the coax signals, so I would try to keep these to a minimum. I also recommend using RG-6 (thick) coax instead of RG-59 (thin).

My coax mod was very simple, I installed a coax tv jack on the side of my PUP storage cabinet (as high on the cabinet wall as possible) where I use my tv. I ran the coax under my rear step and into my seat storage (my dw HATES seeing wiring). The coax then leaves the PUP through the shore power opening. I have approximately 30 feet of coax that I can connect to cable, satellite, or an exterior antenna and the excess coax can remain inside the PUP...yes, the rain cover of the shore power opening still closes with both cables in use. I have had no issues with electrical interference in my tv signals as well.

6. kylelinda

kylelinda New Member

Didn't even realize there was such a thing until I saw this thread. Can someone give me an idea how much you paid for your tuner? I took a quick look this weekend at Fry's and they range in price from $60 to $100. What's the difference? Can I get one cheaper somewhere else?

7. Chewie48

Chewie48 New Member

I paid $89.00 for mine at Best Buy. I'm sure you could probably get them cheaper off the internet someplace.

8. tyler811

tyler811 New Member

I buy all my and customers parts at www.newegg.com where most of the time I can parts cheaper then I can at wholesalers sites

9. dondford

dondford New Member

Would someone using BlazeTV be willing to "share" the software with me. If, please PM me.

Thanks,
    D

10. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    Neweg is a great site. I have gotten several great deals there.

I got my Ultimate HD Stick from http://www.woot.com. It's a crapshoot for what's available each day, but I think I paid $39.

11. Krystilia

Krystilia New Member

I just bought mine online at www.bestbuy.com for $59.99

12. Chewie48

Chewie48 New Member

Just got an HDTV outdoor antenna for the turner. Check it out in this post: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=28308.msg155518#msg155518