Just bought first pop up

poodle2

Sep 12, 2013
Picking up pop up on Saturday..Bought a 2004 Fleetwood Utah..so excited..Have a camp out scheduled for October but may have to do a local one sooner! I feel like driving right to the camp ground!
Biggest concern is driving trailer and backing up!..Have not done that before..
We go camping every month and have enjoyed tents but get frustrated with weather issues..

rfblacke

Sep 6, 2013
Congrats on the new popup. I can understand itching to get out there. I'd recommend hooking it up and practicing in a big parking lot (like a school parking lot on the weekend) when no one is there. YOu might also consider practicing leveling etc, as you don't want the first time you park (backup) or set it up to be when you're at camp.

Have fun.

Maggie Muffin

May 20, 2013
poodle2 said:
Biggest concern is driving trailer and backing up!..Have not done that before..

All it takes is practice & I'm pretty sure you will find that it's easier than you think.
This past June I was exactly where you are now and my confidence grew with each time out, although I'm still a newbie at all this!

Unstable_Tripod

Well, there's your problem!
May 20, 2008
Seattle, Washington
Congrats on the trailer. The best way to deal with backing up is to practice. Go to an empty parking lot and get the hang of it. You'll be glad you did when the time comes to put that camper in its place on the site.

funmom21

I am a DW with a wonderful DH and 2 DD teenagers
Aug 2, 2013
Congrats on your new PUC! I bought our 1st PUC about a month ago and because my DH was working I had to backup and park my trailer alone with my brothers teaching me on the fly at our camp site [:(O] I was very nervous because there were some very big good looking RV's, TT, ect. I started out and as I was going back and fourth, left to right I noticed about 4 guys sitting with their beers and watching me! This made me get it together and after about 2 minutes I had my new PUC parked [:D] [:D]! Those 4 guys with the beers all smiled and brought me over some water and a beer to drink. They all told me how fun it is to watch people back in their trailers and someday I will be doing the same. Two days later a guy with a brand new 2014 (1st time camping) TT and backing into a spot took out the entire side of his new TT. Everyone came over and offered to park it for him. You could tell that he was mortified and his DW was yelling and screaming at him. After he got settled I brought over a beer and welcomed him to the park. Poor guy wrecked his new trailer, was still in the dog house with the wife. I almost told her to park it next time so she knew how difficult it is park these TT's but she was too much of a bully and I was scared of her after seeing how she treated her DH!

Since then I have on several occasions have gone to open parking lots and brought the orange pylons that construction people use and made different angles (still having problems, but getting better) so when I go to the camp site I will have more confidence to park my PUC.

Oh yeah, one other big thing... walk to your site and have a game plan before you drive to it, nothing like getting you and your PUC stuck and not able to park it in your spot [;)]

Happy Camping

ghacker

Super Active Member
Nov 8, 2009
Congrats on the N2U Utah. Nice layout. Practicing at a parking lot is a good idea if you'r worried about it. It really isn't that difficult. Just takes a little practice. Nice thing about PUPs, other than highwalls, is that you can see behind you. Just take it slow and you'll feel competent in no time.

dak2

Aug 18, 2007
Congrats on N2U [PU] excellent layout (but I'm partial) have had mine since new.
and welcome to the site.

Don [8]

Wildwoodflower77

Jun 10, 2012
Congrats! You should come to the Florida Fall Rally at Hillsborough River State Park near Tampa. There will be a LOT of us there and there are still open sites.

Jayko

Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha
Jul 10, 2012
You should have got a bigger camper....lol. Nice pup. I can understand wanting to get out in it. It appears nicer than most hotel rooms.

Many years of happy camping!

Up the Mountain

Apr 13, 2013
This link might give some encouragement
http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=72343.msg657690#msg657690

page 5 gives you a video on Setting Up for the backing into a spot

What helped me was to remember that the which ever way you turned the bottom of the steering wheel was the direction the trailer would go.
Don't make huge corrections, just small ones along the way.

Seeing the good TDrivers back into tight spaces, just remember that the longer the trailer, the slower the response time so it can be easier to back the 45-53 footers as opposed to the 30 ft pups- relatively speaking.