Just Bought my First Camper!!

nickap

Sep 17, 2017
After getting some really great advice from members of this forum, my wife and I just made what we feel is a great purchase. We bought a 2000 Rockwood Premier pop up that we found on Craigslist. We had looked at several others and had gotten a feel for what was out there, in what condition, and how much people were asking. We also got a good idea of what kind of features we were looking for. Here are a few:
-- light enough to pull with a Honda Odyssey (with transmission & power steering coolers)
-- big enough to have a dinette but also somewhere else to sit, e.g. sofa
-- king size bed
-- inside/outside propane stove with multiple burners
-- 110V/12V/propane fridge
-- awning (preferably with screen)
-- clean with no leaks (of course)
-- basically ready to go with minimal work needed
-- more ...

We'd seen one that looked hopeful but needed some work, another that was all mildewed inside, one that was small, expensive and not particularly clean. Then this one came up, and it is everything we were looking for. The items above are all there, and more. It even has a slide-out (containing the dinette area) so there is plenty of room, and there is a whole separate U-shaped couch/bed area as well. The owner just bought a new camper and wanted to get this one moved. He and his wife showed us around every inch of it, and it was quickly clear that they had loved this camper, were mechanically savvy and had done everything they could to keep it in great shape. So all the cables in the lifting system have been regularly lubed, the tires are new, the stove, fridge and so on look brand new, and so on. They gave us a million tips as they were showing it to us - right down to advising us not to use bleach-based products to clean hoses or appliances, because bleach leaves a salt residue that can attract mice. (They always stored the popup with lots of dryer sheets around the place, to keep the mice away.)

Dry weight is around the 2200lb mark, so when loaded, it will be well under the Odyssey's 3500lb tow rating (don't worry, we pack light, and we're not planning on climbing any mountains). Best of all, it was within our budget - which we had been starting to worry was not realistic. The owner was asking $1800, but was happy to take $1500. For that price, of course it's not flawless - but we were never expecting it to be. There are couple of small holes in the canvas, and one in the mesh; these have all been painstakingly repaired. There are scuffs on the linoleum floor. All very minor things that we are very happy to live with.

So, we are brand new happy camper owners -- and lots of questions are already coming up. I think I will be spending a lot of time on this site! :)

Redbird934

Mar 5, 2017
We bought our camper from a couple who were very mechanical and very trailer proud, I think that makes a huge difference .

Welcome and enjoy

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
Congrats! We pull with a van also... seems to be the minority around here but I think popups excel at just that- being able to be towed with a vehicle that is still totally practical for everyday use.

nineoaks2004

Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday
Oct 15, 2006
Dukes, Fl
Congrats on the N2U PUP. I Hope you have many great trips in the future. Good Luck and happy camping

Spaceace5150

Oct 1, 2014
Congrats!

I am also towing with a Honda Odyssey. Does it have the towing package or are you adding the cooler on your own? I have a lighter pop up (Rockwood 1640ltd) but seems to tow that great.

crackerJack

Super Active Member
Jan 6, 2014
Scottsville, KY
Welcome from So KY. At one time I pulled my Mesa with an Oddy, with tow package. It was very unpleasant. I have a lot less stress now pulling with a suburban. My camper model is rear end heavy and has sway issues anyway. Hope you have better luck than I did.

nickap

Sep 17, 2017
Congrats!

I am also towing with a Honda Odyssey. Does it have the towing package or are you adding the cooler on your own? I have a lighter pop up (Rockwood 1640ltd) but seems to tow that great.

I'm installing the coolers for both transmission and power steering on my own. I'm also going to install a brake controller - the camper has brakes though the previous owner never used them. I also have to figure out whether I want to install air bags, or get a weight distributing hitch, or both. I've been reading the posts on that but there seems to be a wide range of opinions ... I'm told the tongue weight of this trailer is not that much, maybe around 250 - but according to the manual the Odyssey should have a weight distributing hitch for anything over 2000lb.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
In regards to a weight distribution hitch...some popup campers cannot handle a weight distribution hitch. The rule of thumb, any popup with a C like frame no distribution hitch or you can bend the frame unless you reinforce the frame.

nickap

Sep 17, 2017
Finally had a chance to play with the camper a bit (it's been a busy week). So my wife and I set it all up today and tried everything out. I think it's going to work out great for us. Lots of space - see the photos below. Also, I got to tow it with the Odyssey for 70 miles or so. No problem. A little bit of bounce around 40-45 mph; I think if I install the airbags that will probably take care of that. The camper does have a C-frame so it would be tricky to use a weight distributing hitch - but there was actually no sag at all; the first time I hitched the thing up and took the weight off the jack, I expected the back end of the van to drop a bit under the weight - but it didn't move at all. So I think this is going to work out fine. :)

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

Douggro

Jul 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
Looks nice! :)
Just one thing I can't tell from your pics: do you have the wheels chocked? They should be so it won't roll off on you; don't ask me how I know this.. :eek:

nickap

Sep 17, 2017
Looks nice! :)
Just one thing I can't tell from your pics: do you have the wheels chocked? They should be so it won't roll off on you; don't ask me how I know this.. :eek:
Thank you for the reminder -- I had in fact forgotten to chock the wheels! I knew I had to do this but totally forgot in the excitement of putting the thing up for the first time. I will make sure to always do it in the future!!