Just bought our 96 Coleman baypor

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Redwhitenblue, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Redwhitenblue

Redwhitenblue New Member

I have to tell you a story.

We were getting ready this week to use our brand new "gently used pop-up" and take a trip to Maine. I cannot tell you how excited we were about getting it ready for our first adventure. The kids were already picking their places to sleep.

After getting the registration straightened out, we started to patch the holes in the screens and bought fabric to repair the canvas. I had even looked into how to repair the cracks in the roof.

Well, we were cleaning out the compartments under the seats when we saw that the front corner, on the door side, was all rotted out. That is when it made sense to us why the outside front corner had a gap that wouldn't close. The wood on the inside had disintegrated. The two walls were not connected. I thought to myself that i am pretty handy and can learn anything. So I began to see what I could do to fix it. I watched a few videos and read the pop up blogs and started to repair the rotted floor and wall. Oh well, live and learn.

I had to remove the seats, cut out the floor, remove the rotted wall wood and make the cuts for the new pressure treated plywood. Amazing that these companies don't even use pressure treated wood.

I even found a mummified green mouse behind the breaker box.

Anyway, it dawned on me to check the other corners. As it turns out, the two back corners need attention as well, with the rear door side corner being the worst; it actually has a hole that you can fit your foot through and see the street below. It looks like a pretty involved floor and wall replacement too make it safe. There is not very much holding the corners together.

But wait it gets better...

So we were working on it this afternoon when we saw those dark ominous clouds roll in. We decided that we had waited long enough and began to pack it all up.

We followed the procedure: take the poles down, put the sides in, tuck everything in and begin to crank her down. But to our dismay the roof was not coming down. The cranking system did not work. I have no clue why, but it does not crank down. Just keeps spinning round and round.

If we were not panicking already, just then the heavens opened up. And it wasn't the Lord Jesus to come and help us. God must have a sense of humor because we did not.

In our panic to try and get it all set up again (no other choice at that point) the lower panel in door pops out. Now there is water coming in on all sides.

It just got worse from there as we tried to bail water, fix the door, reconnect the corners, fix the gaps in the corner, etc. I was waiting for FEMA at that point. If we had red lights, whistles, and horns the Titanic would have had nothing on us.

We are quite frankly in shock and very much at a loss with what to do next. The roof not folding down was something that especially blew us away. I don't know if you have any suggestions. I am kinda overwhelmed at this point.

2. bross1959

bross1959 New Member

Unfortuantely I don't have any suggestions for you. I just wanted to offer you my condolences. I hope you figure out how to fix it. I can just imagine how frustrating it must be.

3. Lauren5280

Lauren5280 Member

Wow, that's quite a tale! I'm so sorry all of this has happened!

4. NeedtoRoam

NeedtoRoam Colorfull Colorado

If the roof is up I would stabilize the roof with 2x4's cut to length at all four corners and open the whiffletree and see why it not cranking the roof down. It sounds like you have more problems than the roof not coming down. If you start there then you can open and close it at least.

5. Redwhitenblue

Redwhitenblue New Member

I will try that as soon as I get the corner floors replaced with new pressure treated lumber. I am on the second one. I had to open the whole up more so that replacement wood would sit on the metal frame at the ends. To morrow I will cut a not so square patch, since the edge of the cut out runs along the edge of the whiffletree tree frame, which is not a rectangular shape the sides slope so it will be interesting fit.if I designed these things I would have it a little easier for repairs. The thing that gets me about making a corner repair is that once you go after the floor you have to replace everything above it -namely the corner posts. Once you take those out to be replaced the whole wall and back cover just become wobbly and it seems like you have made it weaker forever.
    I will put the four 2 x4s up if you think that it would be better in general. I was looking the front hitch where the support leg comes down and attaches to hold up the front bunk. It is bent. Twisted a little So that I think that I will have to heat it and try to straighten it out. But I just don't trust the metal pipes by themselves. Any one else out place additional support on the bunks as well?

6. Yukon Jake

Yukon Jake New Member

I have a thought about the roof not coming down. I have a 94 Coleman Roanoke and the same thing happened to me on our first trip out.

My problem was that the mechanism came loose. On the Roanoke, there is a bolt coming out of the mechanism. The steel tube that the crank notches into is threaded onto this bolt. Then the bolt tapers down to a smaller tapered thread and a cap threads onto the bolt to HOLD the tube in place. On my Coleman, the cap came off the bolt so when I lefty-loosied the crank, the tube unscrewed from the crank assembly. I had to remove the shear pin from the tube and crank the tube and the cap back onto the bolt as hard as I could. I replaced the shear pin (which is what the crank notches onto) with a nut and bolt so that if this happens again, the cap is more easily accessible.

If that is not the problem you are describing, I'm not sure I understand the problem.

7. itfchaos

itfchaos New Member

Wow, I don't even know what to say to something like that. I think at the point you were trying to set it back up in a down pour if I was there I would of just gave up and sat down in the rain and started laughing.

Those corners and end walls, and side walls near end walls need to be strong as they actually support a lot of the bed weight.

8. Redwhitenblue

Redwhitenblue New Member

I just today finished the repairs on the pup. In replaced all corners and floors in the corners, the paneling, the linoleum flooring, caulked everything that I could. I then took a look at the wiggle tree. I opened up the box and didn't see anything that looked broken ( I know nothing about the crank system) so I opened the covering where you put in the cranking bar. In other words the metal covering that is on the "bumper" and surrounds the crank bar. It is the first metal box that see a you go in from the hand crank. Once I pulled it loose the cog or "clicker" That you can hear when you over crank disengaged. That freed up the hand crank so that I can crank it down. Now I don't know the names of these parts. I have the manual, but it does give th names with the diagram. It is part 17 on the diagram of th crank system. It's the piece that makes the liking sound.
    Now my question is how to fix it. I have got try and reset it when I put the covering back on. Sound crazy, but I just don't know the names. I will look for them and post again. Has anyone had this problem?

9. MIlover

MIlover Member

I just want to offer my condolences. After posting about my own pup woes, reading your story made me feel a little less sorry for myself.

While your situation is really unfortunate, your story did make me laugh in disbelief!

Good luck.