Just don't get it

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by ColoradoChalet, Aug 19, 2013.

1. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Welcome to the other side I don't know what your camper is that changes things a bit you will find the 300k rigs there too. Here is what I have found the personalities are different at the state parks. As former tenters we were always interested in who our neighbors were and usually got to know them a bit. Our last trouting camping trip at Bennett Springs State Park, Mo. We had a gal camping on her own sleeping in her car in a site next to us. We found out she was on a 2 week trip to several states including Texas she worked in the prison system in Mass. and she was in very good shape. This early the campground was no where full and not many tenters either!

By the way this state park has all the facilities including a swimming pool, nice restaurant a store a little bit for everyone but closer to nature in my opinion. The pool is a ways from the camping areas and the camping sites are in the woods. There is also a huge trout raising facility in the area also as they let so many rainbow trout out each day! It is interesting to see how they raise those things to be big fish!

Our camping cost 11.00 we use the primitive sites for our A-Liner the highest I think was 21.00 the pool costs extra the fair way to do things also in my opinion things are there if you want them but they cost. You will see folks in the fancy rigs pretty much stay to themselves and you wont see them out much tv you know some even bring their sat. dishes!

Give it all a chance you will change your ideas!!

Orchid and tls2971 like this.
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. When I camped with my little side kick it was at a private campground. Like you say it has a lot of kid activitys, playground, pools. When she turned 10 I tried a one night trip at a state park. No electricity, water etc. We had the camper but we were essentially roughing it. During the day we hiked, walked around the campground made pizzas in my Dutch oven. Sat and told story's around the campfire and made lantern puppets on the pup side. She actually told me we had to go again as she had a lot of fun. She felt like a pioneer woman. she is finally learning you can have fun without all the fancy stuff. Grant you, it took a LOT of convincing on our first trip out but I took it slow started with lots of day trips to the state parks with her, taking her swimming in a lake, kyaking, hiking. To finally the overnight. The first overnight ment to have electricity, but the post was too far from the camper and the cord didn't make it. I didn't take my battery because I thought I had electricity. Oh well, we made do and apparently had fun too. She is now 13 and now has just as much fun at the state parks as she did the private. I don't think I could do it if she was younger. She couldn't concentrate on one task back then. It was always jumping from one thing to another in a heartbeat. Grant you the state parks we go to have quite a bit of things to do, kayaking, swimming in a lake, hiking. I've taken outdoor games to play on our site or in the common areas near the lake as well. So there are a lot of things that can wear us both out. Just a heck of a lot cheaper.

bob barnes and tls2971 like this.
  3. bob barnes

As my father-in-law always said poor people have poor ways but it doesn't take much to entertain the poor folk!!

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I think it's really sad that kids today need activities planned for them, or depend on parents to entertain them. Kids should learn to find pleasure in doing things on their own, exploring their surroundings, and just finding ways to entertain themselves.

It's perfectly safe for kids to ride bikes around state parks. We see them doing so every time we camp. Our grandchildren always bring their bikes.

Funny how this subject just came up, because TODAY I got back from towing my daughter and grandchildren home from Jellystone. I drove over yesterday in son-in-law's work truck as he had to leave at 4:30 am to go to work today. I consider it a joke to call it a campground.

It was a very odd an uncomfortable place for me. Basically an open field of sites and cabins. They had trees, but not separating the sites. What it did have was a water park, a man-made beach, playgrounds and bounce houses everywhere, and ATV trails. Golf carts were zooming all over the place, many with kids/teens driving them, loaded down with other kids/teens. I sure didn't see it as a safe place for my young grandsons to ride their bikes. In fact, they never rode them all weekend.

The kids did love the place, but I told my daughter she may have just ruined them for regular camping. [;)] I hope they can go back to the simple pleasures of camping in the woods, walking on the trails, riding their bikes, and learning about nature and wildlife. I suppose time will tell.

JPBar and bob barnes like this.
  5. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Well we go exclusively to State Parks. My 5 year old fines plenty things to do to keep her entertained, but her favorite is riding her bike during day time and playing in the river with us, and loves chasing lighting bugs at night time. She does not even ask for a movie or any type of electronic devise at bed time. She will sleep through the hole night and not wake until about 8 each morning. Guess I am one of the lucky parents.

bob barnes and Orchid like this.
  6. bob barnes

Well I blame parents for some of this stuff I never ate in a restaurant until I was 20 that is how grew up!

7. bob barnes

You are wearing her out!!!

8. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

My first year pup camping, single dad with a 4yo DS with Down Syndrome, we stayed exclusively at CP, $20-45 a night. Then I found out about dispersed aka free camping/boondocking. Even when I stay at a primitive CG there is always a reminder not to. Sometimes that's loud neighbors, blasting music, cutting through your site, or whatever...

I don't get the RV parks and such as you describe... Not my deal...

9. bob barnes

I have tented for 40 years I can only think of maybe 2 incidents in all that time and we camp a lot. It does seem weekends bring out the worst of the worst! One of the worst times was in a private park it had a lake we camped on the bank big mistake!!

10. tls2971

tls2971 Active Member

I guess what it comes down to is "to each their own" when it comes to camping, the same as everything else. No one is right over the other when it comes to state parks, boon docking or private campgrounds. I don't personally like to fish, don't like swimming in lakes much and neither do my children. So we prefer the planned activities and there is nothing wrong with that at all. In the interest of expanding our horizons and learning to enjoy fishing, lakes, nature, wildlife, etc. I did book two state parks this summer. My kids and I are open to new opportunities and adventures at the state parks. But it still doesn't mean that by enjoying planned activities at private campgrounds that my kids don't know how to entertain themselves, they do that just fine.

11. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

I grew up in the PNW spending time in God's country with the Boy Scouts. Hiking/tenting for a week straight in the Cascades will teach you what you can live without when you have to carry EVERYTHING on your back. Longest trip we did (when I was 15yo) was 63mi in 6 days. My pack weighed 70 lbs when we started and 48 lbs when we finished because of consuming the food we packed in. That was real camping and I'm proud to say I'll never sleep on the ground again! I don't think my back could take much more of that. I have a Pup for a reason now!

Also, I don't think I'll ever live in an area with sooo many people that I can't get away from them (aka East Coast). I recently moved my family to Montana in a little town of only 650 people. I like it that way. I have my 5 acres of paradise and more hiking/biking country than most would know what to do with. Shoot, I've got a moose that lives in my backyard half of the year! How many can say that? Plenty of opportunity around me for fishing, boating, camping, dirt biking, etc. I don't have to drive very far to get to where most people dream of spending their hard-earned $$ for a once-in-a-lifetime trip. Shoot, the views alone from my kitchen window are some of the prettiest I've ever witnessed.

As for camping in my Pup, I almost exclusively boondock because I want to be away from everyone else. That being said, I will occasionally stay at a campground if there is a reason for it, like family reunions or special locations (like Craters of the Moon NP, Idaho). Sometimes, CGs are the only option. There's a water park in SLC, Utah we like to visit every year with our kids and my SIL's family. They live almost an hour away and the area has wayyyy too many people for my tastes. Last summer, it was the only getaway we had as a family, so I made the most of it and stayed at a fancy hotel next to my SIL's apartment complex. That 3-day trip cost me nearly $1500 in total with half of that being hotel fees. Won't do that again. The water park has a CG right next to it, tho not free, I'll save a ton of money being crammed in with a billion other campers. But, we'll have our own beds at night, play all day, and can walk back to the Pup when we need to have a break. I know its not the same as the East Coast CGs full of 40ft luxo-barges (I'll never understand that concept), but everyone has their likes and dislikes. Its what they know, what they can afford, and what they prefer. To each their own, I suppose.

bob barnes likes this.
  12. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

I didn't realize what the catch was when I bought my camper either. Planned the appointment to get the slip validated, so I could get my free nights (hey, they delivered wood to your site!) and didn't realize what I walked into until it was too late. Mind you I had minimal interest in the whole private camping but if it's free I thought I would be interested in checking it out. It had to be the most horrendous sales pitch this guy had to give to another person.

I am that boring guy who camps all summer. If you're trying to draw out my interests to sell me on how your company can provide me properties I can rent out for a week to vacation in exotic places; you're going to find out how boring I really am. If the camper aint coming - I ain't buying. Now, if they start offering free beer, maybe they would have peeked my interest.

I refuse to camp there even though I have the "free nights". I think it's like 30 days even. No way

13. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I camp to be with nature, in a tent when my girls were young and now with my 5yo Granddaughter in the pop up. I've only stayed at 2 private CGs over the years, one was nice heavily wooded sites with a pool. The other 2 were fields with sites crammed in.
    My preference is State, National and COE!
    I hope someday to build up the confidence to try the boondocking, but for now I feel safer in the established CG.

14. bob barnes

Big dittos on all this. I like state parks because people seem to visit more and care about each other more I don't know why I feel this but I do. I hate motels and hotels you don't get to meet anyone when in Europe we take our tent talk about meeting some fantastic people in their campgrounds. Heard the complaints about European people disliking Americans never heard it ever! When traveling we do most of our camping on the Walmarts I know not conducive to kiddees but is just me and my wife. Keep on campin!!

15. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I tried Good Sam discounts but quit quickly when I got a ton of mail from Good Sam's. A lot of trees died for the spammers' pockets. If you camp at KOA, get the discount through KOA membership. Some franchised campgrounds have their own discounts. Yea that Thousand Oaks has its own time share plans. But as for Good Sam, I won't even get close to it. I do not go to Camping World stores at all. I like the store at Barber RV dealership in Ventura, California where people are friendly and have good reputation for providing good services.

16. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Yours may be able to still entertain themselves, but unfortunately, I have seen lots of kids that can't. Everything is so structured for some kids now, that they can't function well without that can't. It's sad and worrisome and they are the first generation being raised like this. Only time will tell what will happen when they all become adults. Maybe they will be structured and well disciplined adults. Then again, maybe they will be lost. It's yet to be seen.

We were recently at a state park that had lots of activities inside for children. There were only two girls that knew what to do with themselves. Other kids came and went and had no idea how to react to activities that were do-it-yourself. One little girl even asked her mother, "When are we going to the kids' activities?"

Of course you are correct that there is no right or wrong. It just all depends on what people enjoy. My own daughter, who was raised camping in the woods, enjoyed Jellystone. My grandchildren loved it. I hated it. I don't believe any of us is wrong, we just enjoy different things.

I still don't think Jellystone should be called a campground, because it clearly isn't. It's an RV resort. No shame in being such, they just need to own it and quit calling themselves a campground.

17. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

While I have never camped at Yellowstone, I do have a cabin just outside the west entrance to the park and have visited many, many times. I can see why some would want to camp there just so they can take their time touring the park and all it has to offer. Personally, I've never spent more than a half-day in the park but that's because of the proximity of our cabin. I go into the park specifically to show friends and family certain parts at a time, then leave. It gets too crowded for my tastes during the summer months. On the other hand, Spring and Fall is a beautiful time to visit. I'd like to do a winter tour of the park on our snowmobiles someday because it paints a very different picture of natural beauty that can only be seen in the frosty season. But.....my sleds aren't allowed because of the new emissions standards, so I'd need a 2nd mortgage to rent a few for an afternoon from the locals.

18. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Everyone has their own likes and comfort level. I personally camp almost exclusively at SP and COE parks. Always full hookups and I try to stay in the 30 amp slots - no need to take up a 50 amp spot unless there is just no choice. I do not boondock though - I need my AC. For the most part I have never really had any issues with camping neighbors. Every once in a while there will be a group of college kids getting loud at night, but the rangers usually do a good job shutting that down after hours.

As a kid I recall camping at Jellystone parks every once in a while. My folks would take us across the country every summer in the RV, and our camping back then was at KOAs mostly. Relied on the Woodall's guide and AAA camping books to find spots. Dad liked those campgrounds as you almost always knew what to expect when pulling in. Easy spots to level and hook up, small store to stock up on supplies if needed, cable TV hookups in the mid 1980s, and laundry facilities. For us kids we could go to the pool or do mini golf, etc.

The internet has completely changed how I address planning a trip. Growing up we would get a Trip Tik from the AAA for our chosen route, and then plot out possible campgrounds to stay at. Navigator had to keep track on the maps, and figure out where to pull off for rest stops, lunch breaks, gas, etc. Back then you rarely needed a reservation, and with no cell phones you couldn't call from the road to check on availability. There was maybe one time when we had to keep driving until we found a place with open spots.

Now I just google where I want to go, pull up the state park website and inspect the campground, google earth the actual campground to see what it looks like (in some instances they even have street level pictures inside the park), make a reservation and I am all set. Plug in the destination on Waze and I get mapped directly to the park, often automatically rerouting to avoid congestion and construction. Unfortunately I don't have the vacation and finances my parents had to spend 1-2 months on the road every summer, so long weekends in the pup is about the best I can muster, with one week long summer camp outing that I do with my son.

Camping is about getting away from home. It doesn't have to be out in the middle of nowhere alone, nor do you have to spend your days hiking and fishing while camping. Everyone decompresses in their own way. For me I enjoy some of the time outdoors, but it is really the drive there, and hanging out for a bit without having to worry about work or life, and just relax. If that means we set up the camper, cook outdoors and eat better than we do at home, explore the park at our leisure and then fire up the PS4 for some co-op gaming together or watch a movie before bed, that is perfectly fine with me.

kcsa75, unclemark and JPBar like this.
  19. bob barnes

Orchid I was just reading the St. Louis Post they have closed a vagrant hotel and now everyone in a turmoil as to what to do with these people who for the most part will not work, will not even get out of bed to go to work but yet want food and housing but yet have to have all the things that are not good for them you know the booze, cigs, drugs and other bad habits.

Schools now have to have lots of activities both before and after school because in most cases the parents don't give a lick. I could go on and on my own grandchildren are in this rut but I better stop. My own children were not raised this way we made them create their own fun!!

Orchid and bearman512 like this.
  20. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

I can appreciate this comment! My wife doesn't care for camping much, so to get her to come along, I do all the prep and packing. This includes the grocery shopping and cooking. Daddy eats very, very well!