Just how bad is it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by JHOP, Nov 5, 2017.

1. JHOP

JHOP Active Member

I took a video of the area I am worried about on the camper. You can see where I push on the side, it is not hard.

My question is, can we prevent further damage? I'm going to replace the water connection and confirm the leak is fixed with that. We also obviously need some serious caulking work. What else can we do at this point?

We looked inside where we could see and everything appears to be in OK shape.

Please don't post anything terribly frightening.... We just bought her and had never heard of delimination before buying her. And of course now that's all I can think of...

We take care of our things and they last for years because of that. I'd like to hope if we fix up a few things, we can keep her in okay shape for a few years. She will be garage kept.

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Looks like the wood is rotten behind the skin. How bad? You would need to pull the skin off or perhaps you could tell from the inside.

3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

4. JHOP

JHOP Active Member

5. JHOP

JHOP Active Member

You make it sound so easy. I told my husband we could probably take the piece on the side off to see inside. I'll have to Google to see if there are any tutorials out there.

6. tombiasi

I never said it was easy.

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I would seal it up and just use it as is.

8. JHOP

JHOP Active Member

That was what we were thinking of doing, and then either try to fix before selling in a few years or unload it for a low price to someone who wants to fix it up.

9. tombiasi

You would be looking at mold, mildew, fungus, spores, and maybe ants or termites.

10. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Love Tom Petty :)
    Delamination is an issue with ABS. Nothing you have to worry about with a Starcraft.
    Do some research, then go for it!

11. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Something isn't right, but I'll guess not catastrophic. Depending on how they built it, it may be rot, it may be broke loose at the joint. It may be a combination of both. Getting a look at the framing and underlayment would be a start. I mention framing as some mfg's. square the framing then do the rear bevel out of ply only, thus no frame where it is flexing. A quick, rough way to tell if you have rot is to pull the end trim and see if you can pry the edge a little and see the wood, especially the end grain. Depending on what you find, remedy probably ranges from reattaching and reseal, to epoxying the spot, to replacing the panel.

Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  12. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

^^ This. I would replace the water connection(s) and seal the crap outta everything in that area. I would do my best to dry out the wood behind with a little heat, dehumidifier, or whatever I had handy. Then, I would camp the heck out of it and not lose sleep over mold, rot, ants or anything else. Get out there and have fun with it all you can for as long as you can.

xxxapache and JPBar like this.
  13. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

This is the advice I would follow. If you are concerned about the edge that flexes in, you will have to remove a side (or the back) and replace the strut that was there that has popped or rotted.

Replace the connections and prevent more water intrusion with a lot of caulk and butyl tape. Go camping...

xxxapache likes this.
  14. JHOP

JHOP Active Member

Garage music. :) Thanks...eased my fears a bit.

15. JHOP

JHOP Active Member

I like this advice. We are going to camp the heck out of it...after sealing the crap out of it. :)

JPBar and Ductape like this.
  16. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Good Attitude!

17. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

When we bought our 2005 Rockwood p'up I really sweated a few of the issues it had that I didn't catch before we bought it. I probably let the anger / disappointment cloud the whole purpose of the p'up, which was getting our son out camping while he was young. Thankfully my worry was short lived. I fixed a few of the issues and camping we went !

After the water connection is fixed and checked, I would certainly keep using the sink.

18. JHOP

JHOP Active Member

Well, you certainly sound just like me in this instance. Our goal is to get our daughter out and camping... I'm glad your worry was short lived. It's nice to hear other people's stories when I'm on a ledge! :)

19. tombiasi

If you are OK with just covering over rotten wood, go for it.

20. George Rose

George Rose Member

Probably not an easy and good fix for this. Those words do not play well together when involved a repair. Easy - fill it spray foam. Good - take it apart and replace what needs replaced.