Just installed a 3-way cigarette plug

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by eagle424, Jun 29, 2014.

1. eagle424

eagle424 New Member

I've just installed a 3-way cigarette adapter, the kind that you'd normally use in your car to make your existing plug a 3-way by plugging it into the cig lighter.

I cut the adapter off the end and tied it into the wiring system where the wire nuts currently tie in (to avoid splicing).

Question 1: IF it shorts out, for whatever reason, will it go back to the fuse it's wired into, or should I install an in-line fuse?

Question 2: Can I still use all 3 ports to charge iPods & iPhones without risk of blowing fuse?

2. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

I'd just match the fuse with what was in the plug or to the gauge of wire on the adapter.

3. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

Most ipod/iphone chargers are 1 amp, so you should be able to change a few of the at a time. iPad chargers and other "fast" chargers are 2.1 amps. You should still be able to run a few. The 12v outlet in most cars/trucks are 10 to 15 amp circuits. You'll have to check the fuse on the line you temped into, and then check the power usage of the items that were already using that line.