Just made reservations at Yellowstone

MsMac

May 19, 2016
For the week after Labor Day. I'm so excited!

My partner has been out there a couple of times, I've never been. It will also be our first extended trip in the PUP.

West Coast Canuck

Jumped to the dark side ......
Mar 3, 2005
That is awesome, we just got a reservation that same week at a very popular campground called Alice Lake Provincial Park. It has power hook ups My youngest daughter is coming home to visit from Ft McMurray Alberta where she is a police officer. It will be nice break for her after dealing with the forest fire that burnt up some entire neighbourhoods and the recent floods from heavy rain.

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
MsMac said:
For the week after Labor Day. I'm so excited!

My partner has been out there a couple of times, I've never been. It will also be our first extended trip in the PUP.

You will have an excellent adventure. We went last summer. I'd been wanting to go to Yellowstone since I was a child. It took almost 50 years but it was well worth the wait. [:)C]

MsMac

May 19, 2016
West Coast Canuck said:
That is awesome, we just got a reservation that same week at a very popular campground called Alice Lake Provincial Park. It has power hook ups My youngest daughter is coming home to visit from Ft McMurray Alberta where she is a police officer. It will be nice break for her after dealing with the forest fire that burnt up some entire neighbourhoods and the recent floods from heavy rain.

My friend's grandson had just moved up there prior to the fires. What a nightmare. [:(]

I love that area up by Squamish. I'm sure you guys will have a great time, and with power to boot! [:D]

MsMac

May 19, 2016
kcsa75 said:
You will have an excellent adventure. We went last summer. I'd been wanting to go to Yellowstone since I was a child. It took almost 50 years but it was well worth the wait. [:)C]

My "bucket list" park is Yosemite. But this comes in a close second. [:D]

I'm excited to be able to spend so much time in the area. My partner is big on going somewhere and actually taking time to experience it. One of the many things that I love about him. [:D]

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Enjoy the trip. We're heading to that area next year, for the third or fourth time. We tend to camp in Grand Teton NP, not sure where we'll end up next year. My husband wants to backpack in the Wind River Range again, so we'll camp there for part of the time.)

We learned very early on in our marriage travels that the "if it's Tuesday, this must be Denver" type of trip isn't our style, at least for most of a trip. We usually base camp and work out of that campground to explore an area. Even while ground camping, we preferred to have camp set up and waiting at the end of most days of exploration. Trying to sight see with the pup or TT attached can be frustrating, too. We do make stops as we travel between areas we're going to stay in.

Aladin Sane

I'd rather be camping
Jul 3, 2008
Iowa
MsMac said:
Which CG did you stay at?
We stayed at Grant Village. We would have preferred Madison as it is more centrally located. Grant is near West Thumb which is not one of our favorite areas of the park.

MsMac

May 19, 2016
Aladin Sane said:
We stayed at Grant Village. We would have preferred Madison as it is more centrally located. Grant is near West Thumb which is not one of our favorite areas of the park.

That's where we're staying. It was a choice between that and Madison- the availability of showers at Grant Village sealed the deal for us.

We generally like to stay in places that aren't as busy, but considering the length of our stay, we thought that a little convenience (and a couple of showers) would be nice. [:D]

MsMac

May 19, 2016
kitphantom said:
We learned very early on in our marriage travels that the "if it's Tuesday, this must be Denver" type of trip isn't our style, at least for most of a trip. We usually base camp and work out of that campground to explore an area. Even while ground camping, we preferred to have camp set up and waiting at the end of most days of exploration. Trying to sight see with the pup or TT attached can be frustrating, too. We do make stops as we travel between areas we're going to stay in.

We're absolutely the same way. My partner wanted to take the extended time so that we could enjoy the parks and Jackson at our leisure.

We have not yet firmly set an itinerary for our trip out there. As of this point, we are looking at crossing through the very northwest portion of Washington and then heading south, because that would give us the last counties we need in our quest to visit every county in the state. Yeah, that's pretty much how we travel. [LOL]

bklyon

Jul 20, 2015
Enjoy!!! You will be there at the best time in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

f5moab

Retired from the Federal Government
May 7, 2013
Somewhere in Idaho
After labor day is a great time to visit Yellowstone. Most of the crazies who like to take selfies with the Bison and Moose have gone home and traffic is reduced considerably.
And this year; hopefully, the fires will be burned out in the area.

novagirl

retired camper
Jul 13, 2011
You picked a perfect time to go! You will love it. Have fun. I loved it all but two favorites were the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and Firehole Canyon/Falls. I did a trip report with lots of pictures when we were there if you want to check it out.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

f5moab

Retired from the Federal Government
May 7, 2013
Somewhere in Idaho
Forgot to mention, if you are in the area for a while and have time, drive the Beartooth Parkway from the NE exit of Yellowstone to Red Lodge.

MsMac

May 19, 2016
Now that I've gotten a handle on downloading our many photos, I thought that it would be a good time to put my trip report here. [:D]

We left the North Puget Sound area of Washington State on the morning of Saturday, September 3. We had planned to spend 3 nights on the road, with an anticipated arrival at Yellowstone sometime during the afternoon of Tuesday, the 6th. We did not have reservations at any campgrounds along the way. Even with it being Labor Day weekend, we figured that we could find reasonable accommodations along our route.

Our first night's stop was at the JR campground in the Okanogan NF, near Twisp, WA. This was actually the campground that we stayed at during our inaugural trip in the PUP over Memorial Day weekend. We had said, at that point, that we'd probably not be back, as it is right on the road (Hwy 20), but it worked out well this time as a convenient place to stop and it was a known entity- very primitive- only amenity is vault toilets. Can't argue with the $8 fee though.

Our second day took us through northeastern Washington and into Idaho. We could have taken the more direct route on I90, but it's been my thing that we visit all of the counties in Washington, so this was a good excuse to get the most northeastern 3 off of our list. :) Our second night was spent at the Mokins Bay campground in the Idaho Panhandle NF. It's in the Coeur d'Alene area- I just happened to notice the small sign on route 95 (it's about 15 miles off the highway). We thought that this was a terrific little campground on the south shore of Mokins Bay. We were on site 13, which backed up directly onto the horseshoe pits and a wonderful view of the sunset over the bay. From what we saw, all of the sites were rather large and private. The fee was $18/ $9 with the NP senior pass. Vault toilets and water. No hookups. We thought that this was definitely worth another stop, should we be in the area again.

Our third day of travel took us onto I90 into Montana. We stayed that night at Beavertail Hill State Park, located about 25 miles east of Missoula, MT. This one was more of a "bird in the hand" decision, as when we got to the point where we wanted to stop, we didn't have too many options in the area and were not sure what was down the road. We were in site 4, which was fine. All sites are $34/night for non-residents, with just an electric hookup. While we did think the price was quite steep, it was nice to be able to plug in our PUP and find that everything that should work with the hookup electricity did, in fact, work. It was also nice to get a break from the vault toilets. :) They have pretty decent cell reception there, as well as a host, ice and firewood on the premises.

(Side note-- we had to make a stop at the Cabela's in Missoula, and came out of the store in time to witness the most extraordinary double rainbow. There is something definitely to be said about "Big Sky Country" [:D] )

We arrived at the north entrance of the park late afternoon on Tuesday the 6th. Though we did want to make our way to the Grant campground as quickly as possible, the bison had other ideas. [LOL] The traffic jam was about 20 minutes long by the time the buffalo decided which side of the road they wanted to be on. We loved it! (And were especially thankful that our dogs were fast asleep in the backseat and missed the whole thing.) From the time of our check-in, to the time we left, we were truly impressed with Grant. With my partner's senior NP pass, the nightly rate was a little over $15, including taxes. We were assigned site I-283, which was a nice pull-in site for our rig. With a little finagling, we were able to get the door facing inward, away from the road. We did have to use a block under the passenger side tire, since there was a fairly large "dip" in the pavement. (That's one big thing- at least in the I loop, there is a definitely need for repavement- like yesterday.) No real issues in setting up- in under an hour, we were happily set up in our home away from home for the next 9 days.

To be continued--

Attachments

• DSC_0050.JPG
    DSC_0050.JPG
    830.9 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0240.JPG
    DSC_0240.JPG
    632.5 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0216.JPG
    DSC_0216.JPG
    623.2 KB · Views: 14

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
We had a similar experience with the Buffalo between the Tower Junction and Canyon area when we were entering for the first time. It was pretty high up and a single buffalo was walking down the middle of the road. I was surprised to see him in this mountainous area with ledges on one side and canyon on the other. As soon as he got to a spot where he could, he took off into the woods. Probably delayed us 15-20 minutes.