Just me?

Discussion in 'Hey PUP Staff, Let me tell you what I think!' started by ghacker, Sep 27, 2012.

1. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Last 2 days there's no ability to quote a prior poster on a thread. I'm guessing this affects all members, just not me.

Don't know why this would be eliminated unless it's to cut down on storage. Does make it easier to follow a long thread.

2. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Weird...haven't been on here much the last couple of days so didn't even noticed until now. That's definitely weird.

3. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Here too. Started this morning. After hitting reply and getting to this page, I was able to scroll down and insert the quote. And also when I click on a any thread of the main page the next page has larger fonts than normal.

4. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Thanks for that tip. Didn't notice it. A lot better than cut/paste.

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Nope, it's not just you. I ripped out the "Quote" button yesterday and replaced it with a "Reply" button. Unfortunately, it was used a lot as a "Reply" button, so that is what it will now be.

If you want to quote a key element from another post, feel free to use the [​IMG] "Insert Quote" button when composing your reply and then copy & paste the relevant text. Please only insert the key element from another post and not the entire post.

I'm doing this to make it easy to read through a topic. I guess it's because I always read a topic as if it were an actual conversation between friends. In an actual conversation the participants don't quote each other during the conversation.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I don't think it is ever necessary to quote someone if replying to the immediately preceding post. (I've never understood why some people quote an entire preceding post in order to reply to it.) But, I do think it is often useful for clarification to quote the pertinent part of a post that is two or more replies back up the thread if my reply is aimed at that point.

7. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

yep, I make a point of only quoting the specific items I'm addressing. It helps keep the responses a little easier to read.

8. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

The font thing is making my eyes spin alittle though... [EEK]

9. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I noticed it also and LIKE it! I never saw the reason for Quoting images and such. Talk about your storage pigs...

Good all over ya, Steve! [A]

[:D]

10. bearnbrie

bearnbrie Member

I thought I was causing a problem. Every time I clicked on something the next page came up SUPER BIG, couldn't figure it out.

11. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

It is not just you.

It is because of a bandwidth problem. (I can't tell you how I know-I'd have to kill you if I did [LOL])

I think multiple photos in a post will be next.... [;)]

12. BigBaron

Ok, I tried the "reply" button and it quoted your entire message. (above)

I know that's what you said it would do in your post, but I thought it would just put something at the end of the thread since it's a reply button. (I'm a little thick late at night [;)])

Which is better at reducing bandwidth usage? Using the reply button, or the quote button like this?

I have some ideas, but I'd rather PM them to you. Let me know if that's ok with you.

13. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Baron,
    Not that I'm aware of. Pics should be limited in a post to a few. We've always had that policy.http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=30812.0
    You can always additional pics link to Webshots, Flickr or PhotoBucket for those that want to view more pics.

UT has a simple, but great explanation above regarding quoting.

We're just trying to keep this clean and easy to read. That's all.

Simply, quote whatever parts you need to make a point, but please avoid quoting an immediately preceding post to yours.
    Thanks.

14. BigBaron

I'm just concerned that everyone is going to use the reply button, which will result in more "full" quotes. :(
    Any thoughts?

15. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

The reply button at the bottom of the thread does not quote at all.
    That should be the normal reply button.

It seems that is what most people are using.

After you have cleared you cache, neither reply button will quote. [:D]
    Thank you Steve.

16. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Sorry, but it's not really a bandwidth issue. It's a "Grinds My Gears" issue. [:(!]

If it's still quoting when you hit the "Reply" button, please clear your cache and/or delete the inserted text.

17. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

Also, on the topic of not quoting a post right above(which is good advice), when quoting a post from the distant past, some people find it helpful if others would leave in who the quote was from and the time it was made. For some reason, some members like to take the time to remove that info, so anyone trying to follow the thread who wasn't in on it from the beginning will have to scroll back up to find who originally said something and the timeline, you know, the "context."
    This is just my opinion. [;)] :)

18. BigBaron

I cleared everything and the reply button on the message frame did not quote.

I wonder how many will (or know how to) clear their cache? [2C]

19. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Some people -- like me -- don't quote using any buttons so we don't take the time to remove the ID and time data. We just highlight the text, copy/paste and plop some BBS quote tags in there. The ID and time data isn't copied so it doesn't appear. I agree that in some cases it is nice to have ID data and I sometimes will make the extra effort to put "SOandSo said:" in front of the quote, but it usually doesn't seem necessary because the content is generally more pertinent than the author when agreeing, disagreeing or raising a related point.

20. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

Photos shouldn't matter, they are NOT stored on PuP. That is why you need to set up an account on a site like WebShots. The photos are stored there and the links are in you post. Now, if you have lots of photos, the poor person with the slow internet connection may be cursing you [}:)] as it takes forever to render the web page... [SNZ]