Just need to bring this up about giving some space

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by charliec, Nov 23, 2013.

1. charliec

charliec New Member

This may be just a pet peeve of mine about respecting a little space between yourself and the next camper but here goes...
    For a little background we have camped for decades in remote areas by backpack but as we are much older now we finally bought (and then seriously upgraded) an "off road" pop-up so we can go remote as we always have without having to "hump" all our gear and food anymore. As a result, we now go much earlier and later in the season than ever before but....we live in the Rockies so we have opted to use campgrounds as early as February and as late December when you just can't get into the high country anymore.

Okay...so on to the problem we have had increasingly that makes me wonder about thought process of some campers and the need to be close to another camper.
    Just a couple of weeks ago (weekday) we went to a lake (Prewitt Reservoir, look it up on Google maps) and found a spot about mid point on the lake...not another soul was there and it was cold and windy. The second night, well after dark a truck and camper found it's way within 25 yards of us and set up (again, the whole lake is deserted...plenty of room). The next morning we discover that these bozo's are hunters and at 6AM they are standing at the lakes edge in front of my trailer (hiding behind the trees) to hunt! I mean...can you get any more intrusive and just plain stupid?
    A couple of weeks prior to that at another lake (again...not a soul anywhere) a couple pull into the adjacent camp site there were three separate areas available with about 100 spaces in each (and again, all empty)...was that really necessary?.
    This summer in some very remote areas this also occurred when I know there was not another soul for miles in any direction.
    All I can say is when I go somewhere and see someone in a good spot I say "good for you" and move on and let them enjoy it....why crowd anyone else when there are miles or acres you can easily place between yourself and the next guy?

2. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

I don't get it either. That is just plain rude. These people must be clueless !! I would never do that to someone.

3. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

There is no reason or rhyme for this behavior...and I can understand your beef! I would feel the same and probably say, WTF to them! [}:)]

4. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Ask for an explanation.
    If you won't do that, move.

5. charliec

charliec New Member

Wish I could say it's only happened a couple of times but it seems to be getting to every time we go out. Are people lonely or afraid? Either way...I'm just not caring a whole lot.
    We usually just end up moving a confrontation over a camping spot is just plain stupid...besides, in this last instance, I was not feeling it a good idea to confront two morons with shotguns so we packed up.

6. skiball

skiball New Member

We are going to a large campground on the edge of the Alleghney National Forrest here in Pa next June. We just booked by looking at the campground map. Sites 140 and 142 have been taken out, so we booked right between them at site 141. We should do pretty good with privacy even if the campground fills up. We go to bed early and get up early. We don't want to bother anyone especially in the mornings.

7. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Thanks for that...I guess I shouldn't have agreed with you! [:(O]

8. bropaul

bropaul New Member

We've camped in a NFCG in October for 25+ years. Several years we were lucky just to get a site as reservations are not taken after 10/01. But we do have our favorite site with an awesome view of the river and sunsets. If it is available we happily set up there, whether there are neighbors or not. We are quiet, with the exception of running the genny (Honda 1K, super quiet) for a few minutes in the am to make our coffee and maybe splitting some firewood, you would never know we were there. We do hear gunshots in the distance but there is no hunting in the NF.

If there was only one other camper in the entire area and they were next to our preferred site, we would still set up there. We'd be taking a chance that they would be as quiet and respectful as we try to be.

Just a consideration, you may be camping in a new area, they may have camped there for years.

Diane

9. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

This is why they do it. Almost all other people are like you in their minds. Instead of sharing the area with you at a comfortable distance they want it all to themselves. They set up too close for comfort figuring most times the people will just leave due to their behavior and they will get what they want. They aren't ignorant, just selfish. A confrontation will not do any good because they're ready for it. You have the choice to move on or stay put and disappoint them as well it just depends if you want to enjoy your time off or be stubborn so everyone is in a bad mood for the weekend. Sounds like you're making the wise choice.

10. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

WOW...never crossed my mind! A-holes be A-holes...thanks for sharing that incite into the minds of the devious! [;)]

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

There may be as many reason as campers, and yes, sheer obliviousness may be one reason, but also habit for those who have camped there previously, preferences as to type of site (location near potty/water) taking advantage of the view or shade, etc.
    In general, if we were going FCFS at a fairly empty campground, we would not choose to camp next to an occupied site. However, if the the site next door met enough of our criteria for campsites to off-set camping next to someone (we like our space too), we'd camp there. We try to be quiet and good neighbors, and would hope the people in the next site would do the same.
    For most trips, we now make reservations, since it is easier on our nerves to know we have a campsite after 5-8 hours of driving, and we sometimes return to a campground where we have favorite sites. On rare occasions, that has meant that we end up in a site next to someone while there are many other sites open.

12. Nixie

Nixie New Member

People are sheep.... They see someone else doing something and they just follow allow with the group. It happens to me all the time at grocery stores and such. I park further out and it never fails that when I come out after shopping, there is someone parked right beside me.

13. Pointy Trailer

Pointy Trailer Member

A gentle correction. It does get confusing. There is no hunting in National Parks or National Forest Campgrounds and that would be official campgrounds. Hunting is OK in National Forests.

14. bropaul

bropaul New Member

[:I] My DH pointed that out when he read my post. I stand corrected, there is not hunting in the campground!

Diane

15. Ken Mc

Ken Mc Member

Seems to happen to me every time. I remember last spring I was camping at Martin Dies Jr. State Park here in Texas. 77 out of 73 camping spots on our loop were vacant, and where do you think the red-necks pull in to camp? Yes, right next to me. The Dad was a total jerk, mom had her hands full with 2 pre-teen boys and a crying baby on the tit, plus the dog that barked all the time (they left him in their camper when they were out, and chained him out when they went inside). When the mother in law showed up they had a total of 5 vehicles jammed in the campsite. Only good thing was when the mother in law showed up, the dad quit yelling at the wife.

I left a day early.

16. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

I understand your pain. Not sure about your hunting regulations, but here in texas it is illegal to hunt within 200 yds of a habitable structure, unless owned by you, and a camper is considered a habitable structure. We had the same issue at a park, our loop only had 5 campers in 57 spots...nextguy pulls in and where do you think he went? Right across the street from me, leaving hise WHITE LIGHT on all night! Pain in the @$$ people..I understand some people having seapartion aanxiety and what not, but if that's the case then stay in the city and leave people who are comfortable in the woods, and enjoy their privacy, to their own.

17. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

One of the definitions of "redneck"! [V]

18. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

This phenomenon has been discussed a great deal here at the Portal over the years and no one really understands it. Most of us just sit there dumbfounded. I'm sure there is no single explanation. I've had my share of these occurrences as well and that's particularly odd because when I use a CG I generally look for small, primitive, out-of-the-way places. One would think that others who do the same would, if they found someone else in the CG, camp as far away as possible. That happens but I've also had a few cases of the "Clampits," just like skeetercampsintexas described.

19. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

Glad that we haven't had a bad experience like that. I guess it is good to read these comments so that we can have a better understanding of what to do if it does occur! It's too bad that someone thinks that they have the right to act the way they do!

20. IPAman

IPAman New Member

The OP is a better person than I. I would have cranked up the TV's stereo, banged some cast iron skillets together 'cleaning' them, given the kids a soda and some candy while I chopped wood and the kids worked on snapping branches for kindling, and then start throwing the football and Frisbee around with the kids while hooping and hollering.